style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4955 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I have read many articles and realy need help myself, as I just feel like crying!

Bailiffs just called we £1370 for 2010/11.

He started friendly saying would accept payment over 10 months and could he come in which I said no. He said 1st payment had to be at least £25 (to cover his 1st visit fee I guess)

If the kids were not in I would have ignored him calling, but kids ran to door.

I told him we have a c.tax benefit claim being dealt with as lack of self employed earnings.

He started filing in a form to agree payment plan. I asked why there was levy charge and another charge. He said the £63 levy was the interest and the £12 was a fee for the agreement plus his fee £24.50 1st visit. It appeared to be a green walking pocession form. I said I was unwilling to sign it.

He then became less friendly. Said I was wasting his time & that I was refusing entry which he was entitled to do.

He walked of saying I was making matters worse & wasting his time and he would apply for comittal.

I am a little cocerned I have now annoyed him and he will get nasty. Hopefully not today as it's hard 2 explain 2 kids 2 hide and not answer, as they say it may be a friend!

Help, really scared!!

Edited by cassiedaisy

Hello all,

I have read many articles and realy need help myself, as I just feel like crying!

Bailiffs just called we £1370 for 2010/11.

He started friendly saying would accept payment over 10 months and could he come in which I said no. Best course of action. He said 1st payment had to be at least £25 (to cover his 1st visit fee I guess)

If the kids were not in I would have ignored him calling, but kids ran to door.

I told him we have a c.tax benefit claim being dealt with as lack of self employed earnings. Unfortunately it does not stop anything from happening.

He started filing in a form to agree payment plan. I asked why there was levy charge and another charge. He said the £63 levy was the interest and the £12 was a fee for the agreement plus his fee £24.50 1st visit. It appeared to be a green walking pocession form. I said I was unwilling to sign it.

Has he left this with you? Has he avctually levied on any goods? If so can you list them?

He then became less friendly. Said I was wasting his time & that I was refusing entry which he was entitled to do. Absolute parc.

He walked of saying I was making matters worse & wasting his time and he would apply for comittal. He is full of threats and hot air. As long as you keep him out or prevent a levy on any goods outside there is not a lot he can do.

I am a little cocerned I have now annoyed him and he will get nasty. Hopefully not today as it's hard 2 explain 2 kids 2 hide and not answer, as they say it may be a friend! He will call when you least expect it so be on your guard. Keep the door locked and treat it as a game with your children.

Help, really scared!!

Keep us up to date here and you will get some good advice.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi thanks,

No he didn't complete the form, he stopped filling in the form and walked away saying I had made matters worse & had wasted his time.

When he called he just handed me a headed letter stating amount owed plus fee £24.50. Letter just says " Take notice that unless the amounts specified are paid into this office BY RETURN, or our bailiffs will return to distrain on goods and any further costs will be paid by you"

I have sent by recorded delivery a letter (found on here) offering £35 weekly.

If it had happened tomorrw with kids back at schoolI may have just had letter throrugh door and not annoyed him :'(

I have sent by recorded delivery a letter (found on here) offering £35 weekly.

(

Shame you did that really, don't be surprised if they turn it down anyway. As it's this years CT you can of course bypass your newest best mate and pay directly to the Council using their online system or automated phone line - you should have the Ref No on your CT Bill. This payment is accepted by the system in use, you have to remember to budget for the Bailiff fees though. If you do this make sure you print off receipts.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have thought of paying directly to council via website. However, I do still have some previous arrears. Therefore, I am assuming they will clear oldest arrears first.

When the bailiff was here he said payments could be made online to the website address on letter. I decided to check the site and it comes up as a windows business server with no paymnet page nor anything relating to the bailiffs. I can only assume that this would make payments difficult n late if I can not access a system!!!

I know I should have learnt by previous mistakes and not have arrears this year aswell!!!! Trouble is self employed earnings have been hit n miss ......if we don't get paid ours bills don't either!

What do I do if they refuse offer ?

Hi Cassie

Firstly, you are not alone, plenty of us have been where you are and we're still standing ;)

There is plenty you can do,

I always advise people when sending any correspondence to sent it recorded delivery, bailiffs say they haven't received it, then you can prove otherwise.

A few facts for you, IMO bailiffs are nothing more than bullies, and they play on your ignorance, they will tell you the sky is bright pink if they thought they could get away with it!

I, too am self employed and if I have 7 months work in a year then I've had a good year!

So bearing that in mind, I suggest you be honest,polite and nice to the council ( you can always pretend your pillows are the jerk at the end of the phone :))

In the past I have set up a STANDING ORDER via my bank to pay my council tax, for two reasons, 1st I have control as to how much is paid and when it is paid and 2nd the council can't/won't refuse payment. All you need to do is go to your bank with the councils account details ( found on CTbill payment slip) and your CT account number.

I suggest you do an income and expenditure sheet,( keep this info to yourself for the moment) then divide the figures by 52, don't forget to take the current years liability into account, then offer a realistic figure, don't offer more than you can afford because one missed payment and they will be back.

Now you can ASK the council to take back your file, Cassie, they will refuse, put everything in writting, and get a receipt from the council for all documents. BUT carry on paying via Standing order/ online. Always mention that you are not refusing to pay your bill but due to unforeseen circumstances you cannot make the payment in full/ to date.

Keep us uptodate and there will be lots of advise, some of us ( Oh! that'll be me then ! :)) like to give the bailiffs a hard time, and as your confidence grows you'll se they are not so scary

Best wishes

Cas

Thank you everyone for your support

Hopefully it is now resolved, just need to make sure payments are made without fail.........as feel it's my last lifeline that's been granted!!

I was paying last years arrears weekly to a bailiff (different bailiff that called for this years liabilty) they have always been helpful, never called (just letter in letterbox never even knocked!) and always accepted payment plan. Although saying that they have added levy / attendance fees which I have queried just never had a relpy!!!!

Just had an email from council following an offer I made saying that they will in this instance, due to my circumstances, combine both liability orders and leave it with last years bailiff.

I was paying £50 weekly for last years arrears to the bailiff and they have accept £60 weekly and combined the 2 years.

Whilst I appreciate I am still paying the bailiff I feel it's as good as it gets for now.

Hopefully, they have remembered to tell the bailiff that called thus week that case no longer his!

If anything changes I will update.

Thanks for all the support.

Cassie

the council are doing you NO favours! they seem to get off on stitching people up just like the bailiffs!

But for future reference........... you don't have to pay to the bailiffs, that is just one option open to the councils ( and it appears the quickest way to get their money).

The second you pay ANY money to a bailiff, he takes his fees first, so if you had a debt for £500 and he lumpped £300 fees and you agreed to pay £50 per week it would be 6 weeks before you start chipping away at the arrears, whereby if you pay the council it would all go towards the arrears, I fear that as they have allowed you to pay the bailiff then you have lost that money! Remember that if the bailiff hasn't levied or got you to sign a WPO then the only money you owe him/her is £42.50

Cas

Cassiedaisy

I imagine the Bailiff has a big smile on what he is charging you. You should have a different A/C No for each unpaid bill - you really must ask them for a breakdown of the charges you are paying - if they are overcharging then any monies left over may even pay off what you owe the Council. You should do this as a matter of urgency. If you can't find your A/C Nos then a SAR to them costs £10.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]