Jump to content

Contents Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



Can anyone recommend a company that will insure students possessions in private rented accommodation?


The landlord will not allow locks on the individual doors, otherwise my son would have been covered on our home policy!


I have done the usual google search but not a lot comes up for this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been looking at this for my 2, my son going to his 3rd year in Manchester and my daughter is off to Durham in October.


HSBC seemed reasonable although they all came out expensive because of laptops being insured out of the property and they limit the amount insured.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Endsleigh want about £140 because we need an additional cover for musical instruments.


It would probably be cheaper to buy a door for his room that we can lock, the landlord doesn't want any damage to the internal doors that are fitted!


I will have a look at HSBC thanks for posting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

us too!!!! Musical instruments are a pain!!!!!!!! We have done the instruments separately. We also have contacted the local Police and they have helpfully given us a tube of smartwater in case things are stolen. My son's bicycle was stolen in Manchester this year and he has had to buy a new one. He had secured it with a 'authorised' lock but they still nicked it. he has now insured the new one separately too.


I think it is really unreasonable for the landlord to rent to students and then insist that the door does not have a lock. I think I might be tempted to put one on and pay for the damage later. How much is a reasonable payment for redecorating the door? Might be cheaper in the long run.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That thought occurred to me too, tbh but it is in the tenancy agreement.


Better not say too much, you may know the landlord, just noticed you are in Surrey, my son is coming to Guidlford! lol


It's so expensive, could have done without even more expense.


I am going to investigate further about rules and regulations of houses of multiple occupancy to see if we can try and push for this. But at the end of the day, it's his house and we agreed to the terms when the tenancy was signed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it University of Surrey? If so and the property is on the university approved list then they should be able to help. Conversely if not on the list and they continue to resist the reasonable request to secure doors with locks when renting to students then you will complain to the university to be aware of the unreasonableness and that may affect future rental periods.


Nothing like being on a list!!


Don't know too many landlords, heard about plenty on here though!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...