Wescot - Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just received a letter out of the blue from Wescot Services telling me I owe Barclaycard £4K,

The only Barclaycard I had was some 20 years ago and I have no idea if I left a debt on it - it's that long ago I honestyly cannot remember - it's very frustrating and VERY scary!

Can someone please advise what I should do as they want me to call them or they are "taking action".

HELP!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to send them the 'Prove It' letter from the templates, Westcot are the easiest ones to get rid of.

Basic rule is DO NOT SPEAK TO THEM ON THE PHONE, they will tell you that they will send info if you pay X amout and then claim that you have restarted the Statute of Limitations which is totally rubbish.

Other people will be along soon with more advice.

Hi again. Received letter this morning from above tellign me I owe Barclaycard 4K. The only B/Card I had was when I was in my teens some 20 years ago and I have no idea if I left debt on it or not - I know, I know, but I swear I have no idea!

Obviously I don't want to phone these people and someone advised me to send the PROVE IT letter - which letter is it? Is it template M or N please? Or something completely different?

Would appreciate someone letting me know - thanks in advance xx

Hi

Personally, I would ignore the muppets unless they sent court papers through. This is probably a phishing letter.

If you do want to hit this head on, have a look here

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors.html

Letter 18 is the first one to send followed by letter 2

Make sure you send it recorded delivery and don't sign anything

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Just received letter out of the blue from these people telling me to call them re: a debt to Barclaycard. The only c/c I had was some 20 years ago and I have absolutely no clue if I left a debt on it or not but being a stupid teenager wouldn't be surprised if I did.

I have no idea how they found me as I am married so have a different name (which is on the letter) and have moved quite a few times since being a teenager but anyway - my question is - I have put this on another section and someone told me to send the PROVE IT letter to them - which template is this please? Is it M or N or something else completely? I'm obviously keen to send something to them before they come knocking - eek!

but the statute barred one talks about not paying anything towards the debt for over 6 years and i have no idea if I even owe it let alone paid anything towards it ............. does that matter?

Any idea what the PROVE IT letter says? Maybe I should send that first but I just cannot get into the template - aaagh!

we don't like to publish the letters on open forum so I'll private message them to you. hold on

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Here it is.

A letter used when a debt collection agency contacts you about an unknown debt. Red script is editable

Name/Address:

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

I would also point out, even if there was any money outstanding on this card. It is very likely that the debt would be Statute Barred, if you've made no payments or had any contact for 6 years or more.

Good luck

Debs x

A letter used when a debt collection agency contacts you about an unknown debt. Red script is editable

Name/Address:

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

but the statute barred one talks about not paying anything towards the debt for over 6 years and i have no idea if I even owe it let alone paid anything towards it ............. does that matter?

You will only have to look at your bank statements to see if you have been paying anything to them in the last six years, TBH and IMO I would send them the SB letter, let them prove that you have been making or made any payments toward this in the last six years.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Regarding your PM,

Here are the links to the 3 Credit reference agencies out there.

You can write and get copies or you can do it online. the basic report costs £2

Experian:

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html

Equifax:

http://www.equifax.co.uk/

Call Credit:

http://www.callcredit.co.uk/stat-report-online/

If wescot have put anything on there you must complain to them.

If you are worried that any letter you send will mean you have acknowledged the debt (you haven't), you can always head your letters, "I do not acknowledge any debt to your company nor any company you claim to represent."

Fox

oh right yes, well no I have paid nothing but the statue barred letter is sort of admitting to the debt but saying I have paid nothing towards it if you get what I mean ............ so I think perhaps I should send the prove it one first?

Three threads merged.

flashymoon, can you please continue to post on this thread regarding this issue.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

you want some advice, file the letters from westcot under ignore, if I sent you a letter saying by the way you owe me £4K from an account number 1234567812345678 would you get in a tsi and pay me, without these folls sending any proof of a debt then if you cant recall any debt chances are there isnt one, chill out and relax,

why waste your time and effort for a buch of numpties

Hi Guys - finally heard from Wescot who have acknowledged my "prove it" letter and want me to provide within 10 days, a list of my 3 previous addresses.

I have lived at my present address for 13 years so I'm kinda thinking why the hell should I provide addresses - hell I can't even remember my last 3!!!

So now what do I do? I obviously need to respond but what should I say? Would really appreciate anyone's help!

THANK YOU XXX

Tell them:

That you are aware of the OFT guidance on debt collection and that they should have been certain that you are the correct person before contacting you.

You do not owe Barclaycard any money and that you expect this to be the end of the matter

If they continue to harass you or make any adverse entries on your credit reference then you will take action against them

That they should also consider the letter as a formal complaint to be passed to their complaints department