Cap1 told me not to believe this forum!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3676 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I sent a SAR to capital one because for a tiny debt I ended up with a ridiculous bill against me. I also sent them the letter from here to ask them to stop calling me as they call me several times a day mostly at work where it is very embarassing for the receptionist to have to transfer a call to me from them. They ignored the first letter I sent and the SAR I've sent another two since then and they are all ignored.

Yesterday I got a reply basically telling me they can call me whenever they like because I owe them money, but the passage that had me worried was this:

I'm afraid you do not have a statutory right to insist that we don't call you, the various statutes you've mentioned are intended to protect individuals and not to assist in avoiding telephone calls to discuss debt. i realise you have used a template letter from an internet forum I sympathise as these types of sites purport to give you sound advice but rarely do so in practice.

So now what? They still haven't responded to my SAR and they still keep constantly calling!

Help?

Hi. To b e honest they are half-right, the statutes are there to protect individuals from harrasment and not there to prevent people ignoring their debts, however when phone calls become harrasment is open to question, I feel that if they call you once every few days this would be deemed acceptable but if they called 5 times a day this would not, especially if you have made your position clear in the first call and make it clear there is nothing further to discuss.

If they have ignored your SAR requests then they are digging a hole for themselves and making it less likely to that they will ever be able to get any money from you.

You could of course join the growing number who like to have 'fun' when they call you, leave them waiting, make silly noises, etc...perhaps have a listen to Fuzzybobbles 'crank' calls, I like the payment by 'xmas' card one :)

Andy