• Tweets

• have a good read in the debt selfhelp forum. its easy to do a self managed one..only on the debts you find ARE enforceable mind..
    • If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Council Ticket for Private Hire Car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My father has a bus business and has just recieved a parking ticket from our local council (Copeland). My father was parked in the main street of our local town where there is a sign to say BUSES ONLY and there are no yellow lines (also there is a sign at the start of th road saying loading only). He quickly went to the bank to pay some money in and on his return the local traffic warden was booking the vehicle. My father has appealed against the ticket and the reponse he got today was:

"The vehicle (reg mark) was parked in a bus bay on Lowther Street. A bus means a motorvehicle constructed or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers and for this reason your vehicle is not classed as a bus. The penalty charge has been issued correctly".

My father was in his private hire Citroen Berlingo so I can see their reason about the bus comment but would there be anyway around this? The traffic warden has been hunting my fathers buses down recently due to a private matter (jealousy on the traffic wardens behalf) but I doubt we could prove that. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Sploits

<----------- If I have helped in any way please click on my scales :p

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi TBD, I havent got the PCN with me (my father has itr and I'm stuck at work).

Here is the link for the google:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=54.548201,-3.58864&spn=0.002116,0.004823&z=18&layer=c&cbll=54.548253,-3.588756&panoid=gV0hpSqo1IbHDOD8XSa8Vg&cbp=12,271.67,,0,23.72

(my dad was parked basically where the red fiesta is)

Thanks for your input so far :)

May have found something to exploit.

Can you confirm what the sign adjacent to the bus bay says?

According to the traffic order (see link) the bay is listed in Schedule 26 as being "

No Waiting Except for Buses between 10.00am and 6.00pm on any day, Waiting Limited to 1 Hour, Return

Prohibited within 1 hour.

http://tro.parking-adjudication.gov.uk/files/CO4.pdf

Therefore the sign should reflect this restriction and the order under article 22(2) advises that the restriction must be indicated using a 1028.3 bay marking with a diagram 661.1 sign.

(2) No person shall cause or permit any vehicle, other than a bus to wait between the hours

of 10.00 am and 6.00 pm on any day in the lengths of road or sides of road specified in

Schedule 26

to this Order which are identified by signs conforming to Diagram Nos

661.1 VARIANT and 1028.3 of the 2002 Regulations indicating a waiting area for

buses only: -

(a) for a longer period than one hour, or

(b) if a period of less than one hour has elapsed since the termination during

the said hours of the last period of waiting (if any) by that vehicle on the

same side of road or length of road;

The sign in streetview does not look like a permitted variant of diagram 661.1 (I can not see it perfectly to be certain though) and I do not know if the sign shown is current hence why I need your confirmation. If the current sign is not a permitted variant then the council has not signed the bay in accordance with the law and the bay is not a bona fide bus bay as defined by the order. Below is a link where you can find diagram 661.1 and how it may be varied.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/schedule/2/made

• Confused 1

Hi TBD, I will send my father down to see what the sign says and will post back ASAP. Thank you for everything you have done so far.

My dad has been down and informs me that the sign has a blue P on it, a picture of a bus and then the text 10am-6pm and that is it.

am i right in thinking the sign should look similar to this:

661.1.jpg

The variants doesn't say that the sign should be missing the other text (as sign above). Am I right? What can we do about this? Thank you for all your help so far, its greatly appreciated :)

If the PCN code is 47 I would say it is the wrong contravention as it relates to a restricted bus stop or stand and this clearly isn't. As far as I know, a bus stop is where a bus operating on a stage carriage service along a prescribed route, stops to pick up and set down passengers. Such stops covered under code 47 do not require a traffic order but must be marked correctly by having a thick yellow line along the length of the bay and supported by a yellow plate with a clearway symbol with the wording 'No stopping except buses' on it. There should also be a bus stop 'flag' present.

If the code is a 23 'Parked in a parking place or area not designated for that class of vehicle' then this would possibly be correct. however, i'm not sure the sign is positioned correctly.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Thanks Sailor Sam, my father is out of town at the minute but I will get him to either drop the PCN off tonight and I will get i loaded up or I will get as much info as I can over the phone (finding out what pcn code was issued).

Cheers :)

Berlingo is a Bus? C'mon! It's a taxi if anything, and it wasn;t even being used for those purposes when he went into the bank. He might have got away with it on a Taxi stance, but as a bus stance/parking - he'll not get anywhere unless he can fault the TRO as being inapplicable to non-PSV.

Apologies bubzy, I meant to change the title but it slipped my mind!

TRO = traffic regulation order? (at a guess)

PSV = Public Service Vehicle?

Apologies bubzy, I meant to change the title but it slipped my mind!

TRO = traffic regulation order? (at a guess)

PSV = Public Service Vehicle?

Your dad operates a 'bus business' and you don't know what a PSV is? Public Service Vehicle although it is now PCV; Passenger Carrying Vehicle.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Edited by sailor sam

Your dad operates a 'bus business' and you don't know what a PSV is? Public Service Vehicle although it is now PCV; Passenger Carrying Vehicle.

Well as I have no ties with the business then NO I didn't know what PSV stood for. I am a Q.S. not a bus driver. I deal with EV's but I wouldn't expect my dad to know what that stood for. Same as PCV, I wouldn't know what that meant unless you had put the meaning afterwards. But this isnt about my knowledge of what certain things stand for, its about if anything can be done about the ticket. If he has to pay it then he has to pay it but if there is something that gives him the slight chance of not having to pay it due to any reason then like everybody who comes on these forums looking for advice then I would like to know about it.

Thanks

You obviously changed your mind somewhere as you asked Buzby to clarify what PSV meant and now you seem to have it.

As I previously indicated, if it's a code 47 then I would say it's the wrong contravention.

Please Note

Edited by sailor sam
OP edited post from the original one I read and responed accordingly (post 11)

Obviously changed my mind???? Nope Google is a powerful friend when people are not sure what things mean. But I could have been well off with that.

Never mind you obviously have more knowledge on this sort of thing than I obvioulsy do!

Edited by sploits
Post 13 was changed after original posting

Sorry, brain-fade - PCV. To have anby hope of challenging, he'd need to assert the viehicle in the bay was compliant, and as the PA stated the '8 or more passengers' that first the bill. It may be better to take the discounted hit, than try to appeal. If the vehicle was on a larger vehicle base it might be worth arguing, but not a Berlingo. As this was on-street, I's wager the Regulation Orders are compliant (because of the creation of the Bus Stop, unless it has been this for a very long time). I could see the possibility of a claim in mitigation, but not the core issue - the wrong vehicle being in the wrong place!

Ok thanks for that buzby, I think its going to be best if he begrudgingly pays it. Also don't worry about brain-fade, I didn't even know what PCV meant :)

My dad has been down and informs me that the sign has a blue P on it, a picture of a bus and then the text 10am-6pm and that is it.

am i right in thinking the sign should look similar to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21380[/ATTACH]

The variants doesn't say that the sign should be missing the other text (as sign above). Am I right? What can we do about this? Thank you for all your help so far, its greatly appreciated :)

What your dad describes does not appear to be a variant of diagram 661.1. see link to the DfT working drawings.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tss/workingdrawings/regulatoryp600series/611timelimitedparking3sheets.pdf

I suggest that you should appeal, if the appeal is submitted within the discount period then the discount is usually re-offered should the appeal fail.

We still need to see both sides of the PCN as often they are not lawfully correct and this is a strong appeal point. So if time hold the appeal until we give our comments on the PCN.

In addition to any PCN points I think it worthwhile appealing by saying that the sign used in conjunction with the bus bay is not a variant of diagram 661.1 and therefore the council has not satisfied article 22(2) in the council's traffic order. As such the alleged bus bay is not a bus bay as defined by the order and cannot be enforced as one.

I would also mention that even if the sign placed was a variant, it fails to fully satisfy the requirement of regulation 18 of the Traffic Order Procedures 1996.

(a) before the order comes into force, the placing on or near the road of such traffic signs in such positions as the order making authority may consider requisite for securing that adequate information as to the effect of the order is made available to persons using the road.

The order advises that the bay is limited waiting with no return and this is not reflected in the sign and as such it can be argued that the council has failed to comply with reg 18 above.

Once I see the PCN I can piece the points all together to give your dad a reasonable chance and at least make the council work for his money.

On reading the wording of the order I'm not yet convinced your dad even contravened the order. This is what is says;

(2) No person shall cause or permit any vehicle, other than a bus to wait between the hours

of 10.00 am and 6.00 pm on any day in the lengths of road or sides of road specified in

Schedule 26 to this Order which are identified by signs conforming to Diagram Nos

661.1 VARIANT and 1028.3 of the 2002 Regulations indicating a waiting area for

buses only: -

(a) for a longer period than one hour, or

(b) if a period of less than one hour has elapsed since the termination during

the said hours of the last period of waiting (if any) by that vehicle on the

same side of road or length of road;

I interpret this as being no vehicle other than a bus can wait between the hours of 10.00am to 6pm on any day in Lowther Street for a longer period than 1 hour.

When you look at schedule 26 it is clear the intention was to limit buses to only one hour with no return within one hour. However, due to the wording of article 22(2) I'd say the council has inadvertently allowed any class of vehicle to wait in the bay for a period not exceeding 1 hour. If my interpretation is correct then your dad did not contravene the order but did what it permits.

Other views would be welcome.

Just my tuppanec worth, but I totally agree with my dear friend (choking as he speaks) Buzby. There is no way on God's earth that a berlingo would ever be classed as a bus. As also mentioned, he was not even using it as a bus. Just popping off for some chores.

I think this all hinges on the pcn code. Has the OP said what it is yet?

Please Note

Morning,

Havent had chance to get the PCN or find out what code it was (my dad as out of the county on business). I will speak to him this morning and get the code and then will drive round to his house tonight and get the PCN so I can get it scanned up.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank TBD, your info and knowledge on this matter is fantastic and very helpful.

I will post back my findings ASAP to let you know.

Thanks again

Hi just me again,

I have spoken to my dad and he has told me that the PCN contains code 23. He is on his way into our local town on business (not the bank this time ;)) and I have told him to get a quick picture of the sign in question. I am also going to nip round tonight to get the PCN so I can scan it up.

Thank you again for all your help so far :)

Hi again,

My dad has been down and he now tells me that the sign is different to that on Google Streetview and to what he told me yesterday (I think he was just agreeing to what I was telling him yesterday. I apologise about that).

The sign has the blue 'P' in the top left hand corner, a picture of a bus in the top right hand corner and has the following text

10am - 6pm

1 hour

No return within 1 hour

So it looks like the sign does come under a variant of 661.1 :(

Is there anything else that can be done or is it now best to just pay the ticket?

TBD I tried to read through one of your posts ( Post No 18 ) and I can't figure it out to see where there may be some chance of getting off with the ticket (but as stated before I'm not fully clued up with the laws and bylaws of the council and their parking regulations).

Thanks