EDF about to cut me off

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

to add to all my other problems now i have been received a letter saying that if i don't clear my account by the 10 sept, they will get a court order to switch my meter to a pay as you go one. the court date is on the 10 sept.

my arrears stand at £430 and i will make a payment tomorrow to reduce this. now i don't want the pay as you go meter and really hate edf as they always refused any payment plans i tried to set up. can i go to court and fight this?

to be honest i have not been paying regular payments but have been paying around £50 to £70 every other month.

what are my options?

notts and pelham will be along in the morning i'm sure to help

it might well be an idea to outline your household details i'e work no' of people etc.

also you need to bear-in-mind this is a PRIORITY debt and should take pref over everything bar rent/mortgage/ctax and other util bills

if your have loans/cards/etc etc they take 2nd stage to this.

they can wait this must be paid.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

its just me living on my own at the present.

and why is this just a priority?

dont get what you mean here....

are you paying any credit cards/loans etc....lecky come before these

is there a chance to arraneg a payment plan if i do turn up to court?

yes, but they would still make you pay a portion of the arrears along with a sum the covers your current use

you must be seen to be reducing your debt whilst paying for current use as well.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This isn't how EDF play it. The hearing is for ACCESS to your meter, so you cannot 'fight' this - they have a right to attend their metering equipment, and this is a procedural matter, not anything that calls in open court. You will have been told a date and time and court building, but not a case you can participate in. The letter should also state you need to contact EDF if you plan to 'defend'.

the letter states notice of application hearing for warrant of entry. it also states , the application hearing at which you are entitled to attend to state reasons why the warrant should not be granted, will take place on ...

does this mean i can go and speak to the judge to try and set up a payment plan? i have paid £10 2 weeks ago and am looking to pay another £100 tomorrow. so the debt will be reduced to £30 when i attend the court.

right thats what i mean

utility bills [gas electric & p'haps water] are only slightly below ctax/rent/mortgage in terms of payment priority

forget the ruddy loans and cards

they can do nowt to you [and you can reclaim their unlawful charges like late payment/over limit & mis-sold PPI]

leccy is important and can result in being cut off and even court

cc's and loans are NOT a priority.

dx

and they

No - you are NOT fighting them regarding their/your plans for payment, as this is NOT an action for money. Their request is for a Warrant NOT to levy distraint on your goods and chattels, but to access their equipment, nothing more. Actually, you have to let them in on request anyway (unter the terms of your service) and it is when they do not get free entry that they apply for the warrant. I'm assuming this is from 'Power2Contact' and not EDF? The worst that can happen is they replace your meter as they are not asking to cut you off. Because of this, the judge will not be interested in your plans to repay as he's there simply to give them legal access to their equipment due to them not managing to get in any other way.

is there a chance the judge will take my side on this and come to an payment arrangement plan? i really don't want the pay as you go meter and am looking to change suppliers as edf have been horrible at looking after my account

I don't beleive so, there's no open court as it is an administration function designed to give them access under the act (which isn't a point that can be argued), so no judge to 'appeal' to. As I said before, this has nothing to do directly with debt, so a payment plan is on no interest to them. All you can really hope to do is pay therm off completely, and they go off to harass someone else. (As I believe it costs them £80 for the warrant, which is then passed on to you).

sorry buzy

i didn't see you ost at 19;00z

ruddy new layout.......

tnx the info

dx

and they

What particularly puts you off a prepayment meter?

At this time EDF will probably only accept payment of the full balance of a prepayment meter.

If you request they fit the meter, this may prevent further charges being added, so your overall debt won't increase. If the warrant goes ahead it will cost you

I know i may have left this a bit late as its now near the court date, but here goes.

The human rights letter that gives the court and date includes information to help you. You do have the right to turn up to the court, and you may get your chance to speak to the magistrates. it depends on your reasons for not allowing access to the utility companies equipment. if you are planning to go to court, ensure that you arrive early and make your self known to the court usher. They will put you in contact with the person applying for the warrant.

At this stage the chances are the utility company will want payment in full. If you cant pay it all, the chances are you will end up with a pre payment meter, sorry about that.

To save yourself a lot of additional costs you could always ring the utility company and arrange to have a meter fitted. There may be no costs for that, but you may have left it too late.

I hope you get this sorted.

Sorry, this is just confusing.

The warrant is for access to change the meter. It has notrhing to do with debt, so the judge will have no interest in what is 'owed' becasue this in ont a action for money. As for a 'human right's letter' - that's a new one on me too. What is this, exactly?