Should dealer have sorted Cam belt ?

C&D
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4906 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I purchased a car about 3.5 months ago and have since found out that it needed a cam belt change at 6 years or 60,000 miles. Its 7 next month but only has 52500 miles. There was no service history with the car but having phoned the garages that carried out the last two MOTs and the previous owner, it doesnt seem it has been changed so we are going to have to get it done at a cost of about £200.

My question is... should the garage have sorted this or, as the car is on finance, do you think I could ask either the garage or the finance co with help towards the cost of it?

I know its not a lot of money to most but for us it is and we are going away next week which is a 300 mile trip each way so i cant risk not doing it beforehand!

Thanks for reading and sorry to ramble!

C x

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]C [COLOR=black]& [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]D :) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC[/B][COLOR=#000000]- Full settlement received & spent! £1,477.93 :-) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=mediumturquoise][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC claim 2![/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - Full settlement offer received 27/06 - £1,116 :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]A&L[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] (for my Nan) - full settlement received on day of prelim hearing - approx £1500 :-)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Halifax[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - full settlement received 30/06 - £2576! :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Barclays[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - Court forms were due to be submitted but he wants to wait for results of the court case with OFT[/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000000][B][COLOR=mediumturquoise]A&L[/COLOR][/B] - (for a friend) - court forms submitted - claim 'stayed' due to OFT case[/COLOR][/FONT]

Very sensible to have it changed as that £200 could turn into thousands should the belt snap. No it's not up to the dealer or the finance house to do this beforehand but would have been wise for him to have done so.

Keep it in mind for the next time you buy a car that the sale is on the condition that they change the cam belt.

• 1 month later...