Out of warranty claim for Vauxhall Corsa camshaft

tbourner
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3838 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya, I'm new here, I've lurked before and friends have used the site a lot so thought I'd join up and ask about my recent misfortune.

We have an 05 Corsa 1.2 SXi, it developed a misfire which subsequently snapped the exhaust camshaft. Apparently a common fault on the 2005 model only. link

It's out of warranty, 5 years old, 50k miles, I bought it from an independant garage a year ago where it was serviced, I had an oil change done around February. I checked the oil on Thursday last week and it was OK so I'm guessing it's the loose cam cap bolts issue.

The AA man dropped it off at the local vx service place and I'm waiting for them to open tomorrow morning. Is it likely they'll help cover the costs? I'm looking at around £400-£500 from any other garage or over double that from Vauxhall by my estimates. Will the garage be any use or do I need to go straight to Vauxhall customer care?

Thanks,

Trev.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unforunately the seller's responsibility under SOGA has probably ended. In my opinion a decent car should easily cover 50k miles without any major problem. I for example have a 10 year old Punto HGT (from new) which has only covered 51K and runs as new. Obviously I have had the cam belt done which has been my only big expence (£305.00) and apart from the odd new set of tyres and exhaust sections oh, and a new battery thats it!

If I were you I would first do as crem suggests or write to Vauxhall and say you would expect their cars to last far beyond 50k and ask them to re-instate your confidence in their products by assisting with your repair.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I'm pretty sure it's a chain on them, not a belt.

Something to do with the cam caps being loose causing them to snap. The fact it's only on the 05/55 plate 1.2 and 1.4 engines proves it's a manufacturing defect though doesn't it?

It doesn't have a full vx history. I've just been down there and they said it won't be covered and Vauxhall are getting much stricter now. :(

He did say they'll match any quote from another garage, but they also said they charge £47 to look at it and diagnose the problem - should I expect that they'll then say they need to remove the head and check the internals, which will obviously therefore not be a like for like quote from the other garage?

I'm pretty sure it's a chain on them, not a belt.

Something to do with the cam caps being loose causing them to snap. The fact it's only on the 05/55 plate 1.2 and 1.4 engines proves it's a manufacturing defect though doesn't it?

No, it is a belt. 1.0 3 cylinder is a chain and 1.3CDti diesel is also a chain, all the rest are belts.

At £47, that sounds like an hour provided for investigation/diagnosis, which is fair enough. However, I doubt this would include the removal of the cylinder head, as apart from disabling the vehicle, this should not be undertaken lightly and certainly not achievable within 60 minutes (if you expect it back and working).

At £47, that sounds like an hour provided for investigation/diagnosis, which is fair enough. However, I doubt this would include the removal of the cylinder head, as apart from disabling the vehicle, this should not be undertaken lightly and certainly not achievable within 60 minutes (if you expect it back and working).

Yes it's £47 just to look at it, then it's £80 per hour after that for whatever the fix will be. What I meant is they say they'll match any quote but I bet after the £47 diagnosis they'll say the camshaft is snapped and they need to take the head off to check the internals (which they don't need to do) otherwise they won't be able to cover the work and be liable etc. etc. So basically they won't match the quote for remove/replace camshaft and they'll have me for the £47 so I'll be more likely to leave it there to be worked on.

Guest VX_Max Vauxhall Company Rep

Hi Trev!

I'd like to look into this a little further for you. Could you please either private message me or e-mail a few more details and what the latest update is?

Also if you could include you REG/VIN, mileage, service history details and a contact telephone number for our records?

Thanks

Max

Social Media Agent, Vauxhall UK

Hi Trev!

I'd like to look into this a little further for you. Could you please either private message me or e-mail a few more details and what the latest update is?

Also if you could include you REG/VIN, mileage, service history details and a contact telephone number for our records?

Thanks

Max

Hi Max, I have a similar problem on my daughters 1.2 corsa, it seems to be a common fault on 05 cars with certain engines, why haven't Vx done something about it? if they issue an addendum to the service instructions to check/tighten the cam cap bolts they would sve people a lot of expenes and grief

Hi Spanner

If you could please private message me too with a few more vehicle details so I can investigate for you?

Thanks!

Max

Max,

Can you help

I would like to discuss options concerning my Corsa cam failure. I also have an 05 plate 1.2sxi. Unfortunately I cant PM you as I am restricted until I have 5 post's.

My car has always been serviced and maitained by a Vauxhall dealer and is currently at the same workshop awaiting repair.

Please advise.

Thanks

Martin

Max,

Can you help

I would like to discuss options concerning my Corsa cam failure. I also have an 05 plate 1.2sxi. Unfortunately I cant PM you as I am restricted until I have 5 post's.

My car has always been serviced and maitained by a Vauxhall dealer and is currently at the same workshop awaiting repair.

Please advise.

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin,

I would be interested in seeing how you get on and would also be interested in hearing from anyone else involving this issue, Vauxhall will make an offer in certain cases where Vx service history is complete but this wil be a percentage of the repair costs, I think as this is a known manufacturing fault, Vx should pay for the entire repair cost not just a proportion

Regards

Dave

Hi Martin

I'd need some more details to investigate Martin. You can either publicly post your REG/VIN, mileage, service history details and a contact telephone number or, post your e-mail address so I can contact you directly?

Thanks

Max

I have been doing a fair amount of research on the broken camshaft problem, the issue is with the bolts that hold down the camshaft bearing caps, these are working loose and allowing the camshaft to "flap" about and then break sometimes snapping the bearing cap at the same time, this is what has happened in our case. Camshafts cost about £240 plus labour to change but if the cap has gone then the cylinder head has to be changed as the caps are tunnel bored to match the head, we have been quoted £1953 to fix the problem and the Vx garage said its only £800 more for a completely new engine!. There are reports that when the cam cover has been removed you can undo the cam cap bearing bolts with your fingers. The problem only seems to apply to the exhaust cam. This only appears to apply to the 2005 cars fitted with the 1.2 twinport engine from what I can see. The bolts need to be and tightened to 8Nm to avoid the problem, you have been warned! (but not by Vauxhall).

Dave,

Have you had a response from vauxhall about your car?

Yes, as expected, lack of full service history=no help. There is obviously a problem on 05 cars but Vx are ducking responsibilty, it can only have been a manufacturing/quality control issue by the factory or its suppliers and Vx should do something about it, the fact that they don't even warn owners that there is a problem means that as we speak some poor sucker could be having exactly the same expensive breakdown. As I understand everybody that has taken Vx to court on this has won so their case obviously doesn't stand up legally and people are winning the full cost of repairs not just a percentage.