• Tweets

• Ah but if I didn’t pay PRA group could they default me?
    • We have a damp problem in a party wall in a Victorian terrace.  Both I and my neighbour have single storey extensions at the back (actually the front, but the back as originally built...) with roof terrace / patio area above, and a brick wall dividing the two terraces. This is standard in the road. (They also have a small conservatory joined to the first floor over part of their roof terrace) Some years ago we noticed that the internal party wall below the terrace was showing some signs of damp. We asked the neighbours if they had noticed a similar issue but they refused to engage with us. We hoped it was a condensation issue, and it was only occasional.  Over the years the dampness has got more frequent, and a couple of years ago we had our terrace completely redone, with the old flooring removed, new felting put down, new lead flashing, and decking on top. I stripped the wall below back to plaster and re-papered and painted. Last year the damp returned, but much more noticeably. We use a dehumidifier and can "extract" a couple of pints of water from the downstairs hallway sometimes - regardless of weather. There is black mould at the top of the wall, and it's clear the damp is coming top-down. I've lifted all our decking, put sealant along all felt joints, and silicone sealer between the lead flashing and brickwork that forms the dividing wall between terraces.  Since then there've been occasions when there has been surface water running down the wall, even when it's not rained.  We're pretty certain it's when the neighbour waters plants on the terrace.  The neighbours still won't engage, but we have persistent black mould, the paper is peeling off and the wall is wet from the top.  To check it's not our roof, at times when the wall has been dry I've thrown buckets of water at our side of the dividing wall on the terrace (and this obviously drains down onto the felting below the decking). The downstairs interior wall is unaffected by this - confirming the problem is coming from the neighbour's side. So what to do? Is this something we should be referring to our insurers? If the neighbours fail to fix the root cause (which is presumably perished roofing under their conservatory, or blocked drainage etc), is there anything we can do to stop it affecting us?  The internal wall is structural so I'm not really sure how a builder would approach the problem without access from the neighbour's side too.  We're planning on selling within the next 2 - 3 years but in its present state it's hard to see how someone would take it on, at least without a big price drop.  Any suggestions very welcome! 
    • defaulted debts vanish from your file regardless to payment on the registered defaulted dates 6th birthday   NON defaulted debts will sit on your file for 6yrs yrs from last payment - i e the debt becomes statute barred,-  but that does not automatically guarantee they will be removed.
    • Yes if defaulted but my non defaulted ones sit there
    • but thats how long it will show from settlement payment on your file if you make one or  if you leave as is..same result but far cheaper....   dx  
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3478 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hey,

Would someone please put my mind at ease, i had a call from HFO saying that they had purchased a debt from barclaycard and that i had to pay £4869, i was in complete shock as they called me on a new mobile phone that was my dads and so was in his name. They said that they had all my details adress the lot, also confirmed them. Ithought this was fishy as the mobile was new and not in my name, they said the orginal debt was 2700 and if i set up payment instanly they can knock the extra charges off. They told me the last time i had made a payment was 2004, so i told them im not willing to setup a payment as i thought the debt was cleared years ago and until i recieve something in writing about the company and where they got my details which they were fine with, swearing that they recieved them, finishing the call trying to get my NI number.

i soon found out that they had phoned my mothers address and she thought it was a job opportunity and gave them my details inc my home address and telephone numbers.

when they called back last monday i told them in a very ill manor where to go and i have no debt.

they have since sent me the following

dear mr ----------------

your account with: BARCLAYCARD

Your account no:------------------

HFO Case No:-------------------

Amount Owing: £4869.52

i have attempted to contact you several times recently, with the offer that HFO has for you in connection with your account. the current balance outstanding is £4869.52. We can minimize the additional costsand interest charges and costs that you are currently incurring through non-payment, provided that you call me on 02030249628. I can assure you that we want to help!

we are currently in the proccess of reviewing your account and preparing an in depth information dossier on your current financial situation. if you fail to get in touch, this dossier shall be forwarded to our solicitors with the instructions to sue in oreder the recover the debt. once the solicitors are involved i will no longer be in a position to help you.

you have made payments in the past and it is unlikely that you will be able to raise a credible defence to legal action.

a county court judgement will affect you credit rating and make it more difficult for you to borrow mooney in the future. once we obtain judgement, we will seek to enforce judegment by applying to the court for a warrant of execution. county court baillifs will visit ------------------ street and sieze your assets which will then be sold at auction to pay the judgement debt.

alaternatively HFO may also instruct its solicitors to apply for an order and obtain the information against you which means that the court shall ask you to produce a records for your financial activity for the last 3 years, and to make a full declaration on oath of your declared oir undeclared incomeand assetts, if it is found that your financial situation is better than what you represented, the court might consider taking stern action against you.

then they have attached a picture of my home clearly taking from google maps when the previous occupant lived here.

i have read posts on HFO on this forum and will be posting the prove it letter tomorrow,

should i be worried??????

please help

nope ignore them

you'll get the google street view pix of your house next threat

its statute barred ignore them

do a search here for HFO,

you'll get the idea and p'haps join the mass complaint against them and their illegal fleecing tactics.

oh and PS

NEVER EVER discuss your debts on the phone

they will threaten everything to you .

they have NO LEGAL POWERS they are a DCA.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Z8519...........Hi.....You have read what most of us think about HFO..............They have really messed up big time with the Data Protection Act,their methods used to obtain your details are illegal.With regard to the date the last payment was made by their own admission was 2004,it is probably "statute barred" or about to be within the next month or so.HFO are real chancers,they have bought a debt that is SB which is not unusual and are using all the threats that this type of pond life can dream up.Are you aware of the actual date of the last payment?????????AGREE TO NOTHING......The PROVE IT LETTER,along with where is the letter from BC and HFO confirming the purchase and sale debt,..................You are doing the right thing.....FS

Edited by firstship
error

so i should send the prove it letter?

PS THANKS FOR THE HELP! IL keep you posted for more advice

no ignore them

dx

#

When you have time please read the following thread and you will see that I am asking anyone getting these street view maps to report this as it is totally illegal.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?274295-INTERESTING-TREND-DCAs-sending-Google-Street-View-of-your-Home!/page3

I would agree that this debt is probably already SB or almost so.

You need to report their actions/threats etc. online here: http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

yes follow HS's advice ... get that done

we need to nail these illegal pratts and their antics.

dx

no sorry i dont know the actual date of last payment it would have been between 5 and 6 years ago, i willl follow the advice you have gave and let you know if there is any more to come from them i just didnt want to end up with bailliffs on my door for ignoring a letter, so i just want to confirm i should not send them anything?

just completely ignore them till they give up???????

Bailiffs?????

they are NOT bailiffs they are a debt collection agency

they have NO legals powers

bailiffs only come after its been to court AND if you dont then pay

however as this is a statute barred debt [or VERY near it] and

IF they [barclaycard] wanted the money they would have asked YEARS ago

so its prob been written off for tax purposes anyway

so they wont go there either.

PLease you REALLY need to do some reading up.

dx

Welcome and subbing.

US President Barack Obama referred to Ugland House as the biggest building in the world or the biggest tax SCA* in the world.

Also send a complaint to OFT as well as Consumer Direct and Google.

In my case, I did send a letter of complaint to HFO when i received the same letter and info, plus a request for an original agreement which they have not yet sent. I then put the 'account in dispute' which seems to have stopped them for now. The relevant letters are in the CAG library, state that you do not acknowledge the alleged debt and do not sign. Send registered post with postal order for £1. This may be an idea if they keep up the harassment.

At your Service

Please Double click the Star and leave a message if I have helped you

Please support CAG and they will support you.

Just noticed in the letter that they say 'you have made payments in the past'. Could you or anyone else have made any payments to HFO? I only ask as this can affect the Stat Barred situation. It may be worth contacting Barclaycard if nothing has been paid since the alleged debt was owned by them.

At your Service

If you made payments in the past you may not have set the clock ticking again, but you may have made a payment under duress from a debt collecting agency.

Sending them a Subject Access Rights request including all payment details of the account would bring this to light, include all telephone numbers they have as contacts in the request and basically they are stuffed.

Watch out for the 'you have a parcel to collect, ring this number' postcards (posted SECOND class) as that is another tactic of theirs.

Complain to your MP as well about how they managed to get your relatives details, that is a clear breach of OFT guidelines and they should be hammered for that.

DO NOT MAKE ANY PAYMENT to them and if phone calls continue tell them IN WRITING PLEASE, they may say they are a telephone only company, in which case you say I DO NOT MAKE PAYMENTS UNLESS I HAVE THE RELEVANT PAPERWORK.

no, no one has ever made any payments to them any payments that i have made were directly to barclaycard.

for now i will ignore them untill they next contact me, i was just worried with the information they have and them threatning the way they have that i was going to be in a world of trouble.

That is the intention and why it is important to make the complaints mentioned here.

At your Service

the complaints are in guys, i just wanna say a big help for all this advice. with regards to telling them i only want contacting by post whats the next step after ignoring this letter.

ignore the next lot too!

dx

Come back with any news or if they attempt a 'legal route', you can force more info from them then.

At your Service

z8519............Lots of good advice.........just send the PROVE IT LETTER,do not CCA or SAR as the £1 or £10 postal order will be credited to the account that most of us think is SBd, and HFO will try to say the account is not SBd as you have made a payment even if you state to the contrary,it will save you lots of letter writing.............best of luck.......FS

per i'd not send anything if the last payment was 2004.

dx

hey guys, im confused now, what if i ignore them and it makes things worse, could it make things any worse to send the prove it letter?

Ignoring them will not in itself make things worse. Wait and see what they try and do next. They cannot appoint baliffs or do anything else without court action. The next thing may be that you get a letter threatening legal action from either HFO or Turnbull Rutherford (same people), if you do you can request further information including a copy of an enforcable credit agreement and other information.

At your Service

ok coledog thats great il keep you posted and thanks for all the help again

Everything you receive from HFO/Roxburghe needs to be filed in it's own case. Makes sure it is quite large a one;)

Just ignore everything from them until you get a court claim form.

Have you found out by SAR to the OC who the debt was sold to and when? This is very important because other HFO threads are indicating that HFO are NOT the company that have actually bought the debt!