Airline tickets - price increase

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4935 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband booked some airline tickets online from Travelpack and received an email confirming the booking and the price. He had paid in full by credit card.

A few minutes later my husband received a call from Travelpack stating that due to a computer error the price quoted on their website was incorrect and that he needed to pay an extra £220.

My husband stated that he wasn't prepared to pay the additional amount as he had paid in good faith and had received confirmation of the booking. He was told that his choices were to pay the additional amount or cancel the booking to receive a full refund. He asked to speak to a manager but, of course, none was available.

He hasn't received the electronic ticket, which the confirmation email said would follow.

Incidentally, the "incorrect" price was still being displayed on their website at this time (he took a screen print in case of future dispute).

Where does my husband stand in this? Surely, by sending the booking confirmation Travelpack is obliged to honour the price quoted and paid. Are there any regulations we can quote to ensure we receive the tickets at the original price?

Has anybody had any experience of this company?

AFAIK if a price is offered by a company, price accepted by buyer and monies change hands, that forms a contract. If they had told you before taking the money that would be differenet, but having accepted the money and sent confirmation, I would think they are stumped and must now honour the contract.

It doesn't matter whether the tickets were purchased through an agent or directly from the airline - the travel agent has contracted to provide you with a service and they are obligated to do so. They have a duty to keep prices up-to-date and accurate - if they make an error, they have the right to decline the sale (though they must then correct the price). In this case, the transaction has been completed and confirmed - Travelpack will have the absorb the costs of their mistake.

Never heard of Travelpack, but they seem reputable enough...

Thanks leblueboy. The manager was supposed to call us today, but didn't. We still haven't received the e-tickets, so we'll need to call them. My husband paid on his M&S card and they've told him their legal dept should be able to help him if he doesn't get anywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

We checked Travelpack's terms and conditions and they reserved the right to increase their prices up to 72 hours before departure. We checked with Consumer Direct and were advised that this was legal and, although we could fight it, it was unlikely we'd win.

We decided the safest course of action would be to cancel the booking and buy the tickets elsewhere. It has taken 3 weeks, but the money has now been credited to my husband's credit card.