• Tweets

• Hello everyone, recently I ordered 4 birds, 2 canaries and 2 lovebirds from a pet shop in Nottingham. When I received the birds, one of the canaries looked scruffy and had a bald spot on its back. when I asked the owner if this was normal he stated that “it is a baby and will be normal in a week” so I waited a week and I discovered it was sneezing throughout the night. I then decided to check their weight and the scruffy one was only 15 grams while the other was 26 grams. While weighing them I discovered they were covered in blood mites (small bugs that feed on blood) so I contacted him and he said I could return them but I’m unable to drive an hour to his shop so I offered to pay another delivery fee fr him to pick it up but he was ignoring me so I decided to try to treat them and bought many medicines and I cured their mute problem but now all 4 birds are sneezing, I’ve had many birds before and I’ve never had these problems so I asked him if he couldn’t please come pick them up but he kept reading my messages and ignoring me then when I called him he blocked my number so I messaged him on my other number laws showing te sale of an ill animal is prohibited and sent him proof of his false advertising (saying they were “excellent healthy birds”) proof fm their illness and he blocks me again. I feel scammed and according to the law he I is obligated to refund me for the birds and any medical expenses but I don’t know know where to report him or what to do about it. Any suggestions would  be greatly appreciated. Thank you 
    • well anyway. as its the same email then and not directed at them to pay no its not correct they have done it under gdpr etc etc.   so regarding the debt. what readings prior to this have you been sending? to prove this billing is correct or not  have regularly sent them before  and is the estimated readings higher than your actual usage. when does the debt First date back too aswell        
    • More than 364,000 cases of fraud were recorded to the National Fraud Database in 2019 - the highest ever recorded View the full article
    • If its a domestic address and a normal account, thought they could only bill who is on the Tenancy agreement or Mortgage, as isn't a Tenancy in Common. if Joint tenancy and other party gone, didn't think children who have gained majority can be held liable, as not on any paperwork, apart from Electoral roll.  Is a Lodger liable?
    • Thank you so much for explaining that to me much appreciated 
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
ACEFR3HL3Y

housing benefit overpayment

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3635 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,I am gradually managing to clear my old debts,thnx to this forum.I have,however,today received a letter from local council regarding overpayment of housing benefit from over 7 years ago,can you believe it???

It states the original invoice value was £356.57 and I only paid £15 towards this on 19/02/03..

The letter goes on to state that further recovery action was taken between 2003 and 2005 but I failed to pay the balance..It then goes on to say

" I apologise that you have not been contacted about the debt since that time"

My question is,as this is now 2010,will this debt be statute barred?

Personally I think the council have some front in sending me this letter after so long and must admit,I laughed when I received it....

thnx

Firstly, as they have mentioned recovery action was taken, it might be an idea to see if there is a CCJ against you. You could check online, although I believe they only keep records of CCJs for 6 years. CCJs, court orders & fines - Search yourself and others - Trust Online

Personally I would just ignore this and see what they come up with next, I am not sure if SB applied to the likes of overpayment of Benefits.

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

Hi,

I am positive I do not have a CCJ against me for this debt.....I thought this may have been SB as it is still a debt...

Does SB only apply to certain debts and not others then? I will,however,ignore this letter and see what happens next

thnx

Debts to the government are not covered by statute barred legislation.

lol,surprise surprise!!! thnx slypsy....next question...Do I have to prove the debt is not mine or do they have to prove it is? It is a hell of a long time ago,how can I be sure I owe them what they say? Why would it take them so long as I pay them rent every week and have done for the last god knows when,not as if they didn't know where I was...

Government debt can become statute barred,but if a court order has be made the

department would have to apply to the court to restart the action, however a stat barred debt to HMG

can only be collected if at any time you claim a social security benefit such as income support/JCA and the like,

when they can take a minimal amount from the benefit.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Debts to the government are not covered by statute barred legislation.

That is not really accurate.

The Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) has 6 years to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpayment and from when the social fund loan was due to be paid. But the DWP are still allowed to make deductions from your benefit for a debt over 6 years old as they don’t need to go to court to do this. This applies to overpayments of benefits such as income support, job seekers allowance, pension credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit and paying back social fund loans

So what that means is that they will simply take an amount from your current benefits to pay of the outstanding alleged overpayment.

The best way to argue this, is to use their complaints procedure, and keep escalating it further until you either get the result you want, or they are adamant that you do owe this.

If it is an oversight or due to their extremely poor training, ie. they are at fault and caused the overpayment, then you won't have to pay this back, but you do need to open up a complaint with them and get them to look at this decision again.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

hI bAZOOKA BOO,

Isn't that what I said? I had a disability allowance over payment over 20 years ago which

suddenly surfaced last year, I was on pension credit and the DWP made deductions from that

until I retired this year a DWP debt manager phoned me to say that they now condsider

the debt finished.

What I have posted above is exactly as explained by the debt manager.

No disrespect to a Gold account holder intended!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Posts crossed, I was clearly typing my response when you posted yours, so couldn't read your post, if everyone is saying the same thing then the OP can be confident that the advise given is accurate, besides I wasn't replying to your thread.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

That is not really accurate.

The Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) has 6 years to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpayment and from when the social fund loan was due to be paid. But the DWP are still allowed to make deductions from your benefit for a debt over 6 years old as they don’t need to go to court to do this. This applies to overpayments of benefits such as income support, job seekers allowance, pension credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit and paying back social fund loans

So what that means is that they will simply take an amount from your current benefits to pay of the outstanding alleged overpayment.

The best way to argue this, is to use their complaints procedure, and keep escalating it further until you either get the result you want, or they are adamant that you do owe this.

If it is an oversight or due to their extremely poor training, ie. they are at fault and caused the overpayment, then you won't have to pay this back, but you do need to open up a complaint with them and get them to look at this decision again.

Agreed/

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.