• Tweets

• lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
    • FFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdfFFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdf 2pages T&C,s UCM
    • Have to attend the hearing and present evidence of his financial position (income & expenditure) and  statements ,and agree an acceptable payment plan with the judges guidance.  It will be a form of redetermination hearing as already stated.The court will not agree to bailiffs if the financials do not reflect it or assetts are minimal. They just want to determine his true affordable disposable monthly figure....which will not be £10.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

BT 12 Month renewable contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, it all started today when i called BT to cancel my phone and broadband as it is coming to the end of my 12 month contract, the rude lady on the phone said that it was a renewable contract and to get out now I would have to bay stupid amounts of money to cancel them, she says the account started in july last year when I was at an old address, i moved address august 14th last year and told BT of this, they said I would have to start the contact all over again for 12 months so I agreed to that. I had a letter from Nigel Stagg (managing director, customer service) dated 19th August 2009, stating in bold print "Your BT serivice starts on 01 September 2009" So this blatently proves my contract was from that date which is when the services started.

I also told her that when I signed up to the free evening weekend calls package which makes this rolling contract so apparently that "renewable contract" was not stated to me at all. to which she replied "all calls are recorded of this". So is it worth asking for that recording also?

Just wondering where I stand with all this before i call for another argument.

Unfortunately it seems many BT customers have been caught out by the "rolling contract" offer. If you are positive they didn't mention it then it may be worth asking for evidence. I haven't been with BT for almost 10 years now, but i'm sure they will be telling customers of the "tie in" even if only glossing over it during the conversation.

If you check your bill I believe it mentions on there that you are contracted to a specific date. I had this issue recently with a BT customer who wanted to switch to UW (yes I am a distributor), and I found details on her bill.

Funny thing is they were happy to lock her into a 12 mth renewable contract but hadn't advised her of the "mobile saver" deal when she was spending around £60pm calling mobiles. Luv them!!

However, in your case, I don't see how they can say your contract expired in July if you have a letter saying it started in September. Even if you took the "free calls" option a month or two later, then your contract would be approaching its renewal date sometime soon.

If this is the case, send them a letter by recorded delivery detailing everything and include copies of the above.

Keep your eye on this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?274499-BT-trying-to-tie-my-mother-into-a-new-12-month-term-as-she-DIDN-T-reply-to-their-renewal-letter!

sequenci is very respected and knowledgable. If he gets a favorable outcome, I'm sure you'll get some handy tips!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

The contract isn't rolling. It is only the minimum term that is. BT have been found to be up front in the advertising of this offer of the extension to free Weekend calls (that of free evening weekay calls) and it is true they do state in all their literature there is a 12 month mimum term lock-in, renewable each year (but only whilst the free weekday off peak calls are provided). Cancel it and you go back to 30 days cancellation.

there is a 12 month mimum term lock-in, renewable each year (but only whilst the free weekday off peak calls are provided). Cancel it and you go back to 30 days cancellation.

The problem is when people want to change providers, because BT don't tell people they can drop the "evening calls option" and cancel in 30 days, they simply say "you are under contract until...." and will have to pay £.... to leave.

With respect, that's not BTs job. It would appear that if the customer agrees to a 12month lock-in, the responsibility is theirs alone to ensure they take notice of this when subsequently wanting to change their supplier.

The whole point of the lock-in IS to keep the customer, and provide a teaser by way of free calls during weeknights. What you describe is greed, they want the free calls but not the lock-in, which I'd hardly playing the game. I never took their offer as I calculated the lock in was worth £60 to BT over the 12 months, but only £12 to me in actual calls. Unless you quantify it and balance the figures it's simply a bad decision... And the person responsible for this is? Usually the complainant!

The BT contract is a rolling contract and you are required to give them 30 days notice if you want to terminate the contract but yolu can only do this if you have had it for the minimum 12 month period. Unfortunately for you as you did not give them the 30 days notice, you have been rolled over for another 12 months. Not sure if there is a way out of thsi but there are loads of complaints about it

Busby, I don't disagree with anything you say, oftentimes the customers only hear the good bits and don'y pay attention to the fine detail, the only point I was trying to make is it seems you can't simply revert back to your previous call plan to get a 30 day cancellation, you are required to see out the full year or pay!

If that is true it is another reason why we cannot wait to leave Britain. I am fed up to the back teeth with the way business is now conducted in this country. I am a customer and many of these companies seem to forget that without me (and the other customers) they do not have a buiness at all. I do not mind signing a 6 month or even 12 month agreement, but I do mind this sneaky underhand lowdown and frankly dishonest method of trying to [problem] a genuine customer into paying for another year.

I say f**k them! Try getting your money from me once I am on that plane!

Wheelergeezer, IMHO rolling contracts should be banned. Most people have other things on their minds than worrying about renewing or cancelling contracts at the exact time. I may be wrong but BT is obliged to send notification that they are renewing for another year, but I know what they done in the past is to send you the letter in the 12th month so you cannot give them the 30 dasy to cancel. Very sneaky.

For clarification, there is no 'rolling' contract. The contracts is for telephone service and does not change. Neither is it a rolling minimum term, as there are set break points, in reality it is an auto-renewing minimum term contidion.

Buzby sometimes you offer good advice even if it is confrontional cie but now you are talking total nonsense or you have no idea what a rolling contract is! Get a grip and post the correct facts or is it your mission in life to wind up every one?

Because YOU say so?

Sorry to disappoint, but what Ive stated is true. Be misguided if you want, but don't misdirect others due to you inability to follow accurate advice. If you'd like to show me how this is a 'rolling contract' I'm all ears. However, I have the advantage of noting all of BTs service contract changes since 1992, the contract does not 'roll' it is rock steady until notice of cancellation is provided by either party.

Obviously you have absolutely no idea what a rolling contract is so I will explain it to you slowly and carefully. It is when a contract comes to the end of the locked in period whether or not it was a the first time or a roll over renewal and the customer does not notify the supplier that they want to leave.

According to the supplier's T & Cs the contract is then rolled over for another year or for whatever period is detemined in the T & Cs and the customer cannot leave in the rolled over year. If they do not give notice at the end of that period, they are rolled over for another year and locked in once again for a year and so the cycle goes on. I think that you have a 3 month window prior to the end of the contract to cancel and it is best to do this in writing.

Care to support your claim with the wordage you believe supports it? BTs contracts are not time limited. Something you appear to overlook. The lock-in is the only thing that renews and it can be added orcremoved without affectingbthe contract of service.

What you talk about appears to be a standard rolling contract, NOT what BT uses to sustain this offer, so why you feel this is relevant here eludes me.

Buzby you have got to the most negative person on this forum and really need to get out and get a life! I tried to explain it carefully and slowly but I now concede defeat and let you carry on with your own beliefs as obviously you like to think that yoiu are always right. If it makes you happy, then you cna be right if you want to be.

You mistake negativity for what it is, a realization that there is a contrary argument the poster has overlooked... As is in tins case. Yes, I am aware I am correct, but only because I have experience in the matter and am fully aware of the tricks firms use to obtain an retain their customers.

Many people have been caught out by this arrangement, but this does not make it wrong, simply that the consumer made incorrect assumptions. Compounded by the fact of nonsensical talk of 12 month contracts, where there are none and never have been! This holds true for the great misconception over mobile phone contracts, and Ive lost count of the number of CAGgers who pay their 12or 18 months, move then get a default.

If by pointing out the actual obligations, rather than the misconception is being 'negative' it is also factual. And I stand by this wholeheartedly. Especially if it prevents others from making the same mistake.

Your stance simply perpetuates it, and with no counter proof other than talk about rolling contracts in general, adds nothing useful to the debate. So you want to reduce it to personalities? I don't have time for that, and neither should you.

I don't want to get involved in any argument here but in my view this is a "rolling contract" even if you don't call it so. I think I mentioned this before but I recently spoke to a potential customer who had been with BT for quite some time on this "rolling contract" or whatever you want to call it and she was advised she had to complete the year or pay to come out early, so it would seem she was not given the option to simply "remove the lock-in."

I wasn't quite sure what point was being made about the mobile phones. I think you are saying that people switch providers after the minimum term and are taken to court for non payment of a contract that has automatically renewed.

If I have understood this correctly, then this could only happen if the customer cancelled completely. If they simply tried to switch providers they would not get a PAC from the original provider without first paying the remaining term.

And all this is really helping the original poster :p

If you follow BT's complaints procedure, to it's conclusion it will have cost BT £100's to listen to the complaint. Write a polite and assertive letter, you may get what you want.

Buzby generally follows the path that if everything goes to it's worst for the customer, and the company digs its heels in and goes all the way through the complaints procedures and court with a good legal team, what the outcome will probably be. That is not a bad position to take, however if you ask nicely you sometimes get what you want...

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

This is true - from a point of stating the company's rights in enforcing the contract, gives a better realisation of the situation as it will most likely play out, if there is a waiver by the company, this is excellent, but is not a 'right'. People who go away from such resolutions with either 'I got one over them' or 'They had to roill over becasue I wouldn't give up' is sel-defeating. If the company is prepared to bend the rules, then they should be thanked and their change in position accepted with gratitude (as most likely they didn't have to). It is far better to know the worse that can happen and be given a compromise, that go in with indignation and false self-righteousness only toi be gob-smacked that your attitude results in no compromise and the worst possible outcome. Some people bring it on themselves (and in my view, deserve it), but if you are reasonable and come acrosss as being hapless/clueless (whatever!) and the company staffer feels for your position, they probably will do what they can as they have some latitude, but it is THEIR call, not yours! :)

• 1 year later...