Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I have looked at  -    If Tv licence has to be paid for watching live streaming Non-Ofcom Tv channels? (side note: Ofcom is the Tv channelling apex authority in U.k.)   - I have concluded from government legislation that you Do Not have to pay Tv licence if all you are watching is live streaming Non-Ofcom Tv channels.    Things have evolved due to internet and now you can see many English-language live streaming Tv channels from around the world and quite freely if they are not on Ofcom register (in other words they are Non-Ofcom) such as for example Abc Tv (U.s.a.) and Nbc (U.s.a.) whilst you are in the U.k.   YouTube.com is an easy site & has an easy app which also brings to you  Non-Ofcom Tv stations' live feeds  where these Tv channel broadcasters themselves are using their YouTube accounts to reach out to English-language understanding audiences.    As long as the live streaming Tv broadcasters you are watching are Not regulated by Ofcom - in other words they are Non-Ofcom and all you watch is live streaming Non-Ofcom Tv channels, then you Do Not have to pay the Bbc Tv licensing (department's aka capita outsourcing company) Tv licence fee.        You could save yourself £157.50 (£53 for black & white Tv sets) per year !   The U.k. governments' have devolved the routine Tv channelling governance.   This is seen in  'major-legislation' where the governance has been passed to an apex body: Ofcom. There is 'mini-legislation' about Tv licensing but this is tagged / bound to the 'major-legislation'.   Specifically, according to Communications Act 2003 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/pdfs/ukpga_20030021_en.pdf) on which the sub-instrument Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/692/pdfs/uksi_20040692_en.pdf)  is reliant upon, has the apex body: Ofcom running all throughout this legislation (side note: it has over 1000 Ofcom mentions). The tv channels Ofcom regulates are listed on Ofcom site (http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/html/tv/cs/cabandsat-main.htm)  - Ofcom regulates the tv channel broadcasters by charging them fees.   Therefore a junior body: Bbc Tv licensing department (aka capita outsourcing company) can only ask for Tv licensing fees if all the viewer watches is online live streaming Ofcom-regulated Tv channels But the Bbc Tv licensing department (aka capita outsourcing company) Cannot / C-a-n-n-o-t ask for Tv licensing fees if all the viewer watches is online live streaming Non-Ofcom Tv channels. Don't let Bbc Tv licensing department (aka capita outsourcing company) & misinformed media kingpins such as Martin Lewis / Money saving expert site cheat &/or scare you into paying Tv licence fee if all you watch are live streaming Non-Ofcom Tv channels.
    • I booked several rooms with FABHOTELS.COM - I have made sure the rooms were cancel able and due to the condition in India regarding Covid becoming very bad I cancelled the rooms and my visit to India and will not be travelling for the foreseeable future, I then checked my account and they have stated there can be no refund back to my card but I have to accept their room credits to the value of £478 valid for 12 months when they will then expire if I do not use them by that date, I have contacted them on several telephone numbers and via email, they have refused to issue a refund : stating it is their policy to issue only rooms credits and these will expire in 12 months, they have advised they have the right to do this under the contract and under Indian law, I have raised a SEC 75 claim, via the credit card company however they have not advised what the above means and stated it will take 11 weeks for a response, I am concerned that a refund has been provided and the cancellation has been approved as such as a refundable cancellation, albeit they have stated no refund to the credit card can be made. I have sent the following to them and their response has been - we are unable to assist further - I have now concern how they can do this when the law does not allow this to be possible? The issue that I have experienced was: Disgraceful behaviour by Fab hotels in holding cancelled bookings in an expiring account when cancelled fully - NO REFUND ISSUED? Please can you refund the full amount to my credit card as due to the Covid restrictions there is no guarantee I will be in India in next twenty four months I await your refund back to my with the Credit card Company as I am not able to use the Credits expiring in 12 Months, I have been in touch with the credit card Company and they have confirmed they will be looking to FabHotels to refund back to the Original card as part of the Sec 75 Laws where a cancellation has been made and the payment has to be refunded back to the Original payment card. I have not been able to confirm I will be using the credits and therefore in order to safeguard my funds these needs to be back into my, If this is not accepted then I reserve the right to take the matter further for a investigation and chargeback as I have not authorised the payment and the reservations have been cancelled. Please can this be escalated to a senior manager and a refund issued back to the Visa card. If this is the Customer experience I have to endure then I will make it quite clear that this i not acceptable that you take money and put it into a expiring account and then ask me to contact you to get the extension, this is not customer service, I am deeply distressed by your action as there are no other Booking agents who are doing this to their customers, especially considering the hotels have been accepted as cancelled and a refund issued but held in expiring account.
    • That's logical and correct DX,  and how I understood it to work if they can't pursue the debtor  for the debt whilst they are alive, it can't be resurrected and charged against the estate or demanded personally from executors who knew diddly about that SB debt..
    • First of all, apologies for the delay in responding. I went back to work in May completely forgot about this.   Secondly, they paid out.   As you can see in my post dated May 11th, I suggested whether it would be worth trying one more time with them. Well, I did. I mentioned in my claim that, once again, they should contact DHL who would confirm that the parcel was left on the doorstep in full view of anyone passing by. I finished it off by saying that I was happy to go to small claims court over this if I do not hear back from them.   About a week later I received an email stating the claim was successful and they asked for my bank details to transfer the money over to.    I'm surprised they didn't drag their heels over this but perhaps me seeing the picture of the supposed delivery and them knowing that I was doing my own 'investigation' into DHL made them nip this in the bud sooner rather than later.   And a reminder to anyone else reading this: contactless delivery does not mean that couriers can leave the parcel on your doorstep and leave. It means the courier leaves your parcel on your doorstep, waits for you to open the door and confirm receipt of the parcel, (the courier takes a picture, this seems to depend on the courier) and then and only then is delivery of the item concluded.
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies

Northumbrian Water debt.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3627 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I owe quite a bit a money to Northumbrian Water. What has happened recently, my hours at work a while ago had been reduced and have overlooked the water bill for quite some time, whilst paying my rent, council tax, gas & electric and food I have no spare income left for anything else as those expenditures cover 100% of my monthly wage.


I received a letter from Northumbrian Water threatening me with a CCJ. I wrote back to Northumbrian Water stating I was in real financial difficulty and have no spare income for anything other than rent and council tax etc, but would try and muster £40 per calendar month as I was not refusing to pay but genuinely had no money left at the end of the month to pay anything. Northumbrian Water wrote back and asked for my Income and Expenditure which I provided.


One week later Northumbrian Water sent me a payment card but no confirmation of the offer.


Lo and behold, today I have been sent papers from Northampton Bulk Court.


I phoned Northumbrian Water and explained the situation and told them that I have done everything I have been asked to do as a CCJ could have 'consequences' in my job, and why was I sent this when I have made a genuine offer to clear the debt.


They said that they could not do anything today and a firm called Alexander James will be getting in touch with me on Tuesday.


My question is can they drop this CCJ as I have told them my job could be at risk and already offered them a sensible repayment given my low wages already to which they have not replied. Or if they will not drop the CCJ can I dispute it to say that I have already offered payment but they have never confirmed my offer.


Many thanks for any advice.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

first off welcome to the forums...

if you have proof of a geniune offer of payment then a ccj is very unlikely to be lodged against you, im not 100% sure though!!! but i am sure that someone with more experiance in dealing with this sort of issue will be along shortly to help you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got off the phone to Northumbrian Water and they say there is nothing that they can do.


I explained that I am going to lose my home and my job over this as I cannot get a CCJ in my work. I also told them that I was in hardship and that after I pay my housing costs, council tax, gas, electric, food and getting to work I have nothing left. The offer of £40.00 per month was fair, but they did not want to know.


I know that I owe them quite a sum as I have not paid them in a long long time (burying head in sand) but it was'nt a case of wont pay and begged them to withdraw the claim and accept my proposal for payment. The funniest thing is that if I was in a job where a CCJ didn't matter, they would only end up with a pound a month. They wanted the full balance there and then, and then I became slightly angry and said to them, what part of the word hardship do you not understand, if you don't know what the word hardship means, you should go look it up in a dictionary or go back to school.


What should I do now?


Can I defend it, as I owe them the money or is there anything to do via the Court to get this stopped.


I am desparate and would be grateful for any advice.


Thanks jb000

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...