• Tweets

• This is what I do not understand It was for a data sim card where EE took £20 in advance for 20gb of data each month on a month by month rolling contract and once I had used the data it would switch off so impossible to use any more than I had already paid for. If I wanted to carry on using it i would have to log on and pay another £20.   I used the service for a few months and then did not renew the contract and heard no more    My bank account was used for ID purposes only and was my main bank account with all my wages and d/d and held for 7 years plus, no insurance was taken out and no other accounts opened.   This is my point EE have listed this and has no connected with the data they have entered        
    • I am aware of this treatment. Field Debt Solutions approached me at my door claiming to have a warrant of entry, (one of many lies they used) they KNEW I was classed as vulnerable prior to the visit. This was (later found out by The Ombudsman) allegedly to install a pre payment meter (They know I can not use one). Long story short: I was threatened with criminal damage, the police and them not moving till I let them in. They stated they had a warrant, they did not. One FDS employee was waving a crowbar and smiling, the other was basically terrorising me through the window. I complained to EON and all that they did was lie further, covered up their behaviours After contacting the OMBUDSMAN all the truth came out. I am totally disgusted with the way this company operate. I am equally disgusted that the Ombudsman ere not taking any of the FDS Employees behaviours into account (yet all my claims were upheld) this feels like this section of the whole process is left wide open and that's why this is happening imho. The Ombudsman made me feel like they work for EON, (when it came to the consideration of the employees from FDS, they seemed immune to scrutiny) a very confusing and shocking experience when the penny drooped. I have looked at CISA (?) whom are some sort of organisation who debt collection agencies register with (no idea what for) anyway, FDS are not registered, I can not find them anywhere, they are like some sort of enigma and this is where i am thinking how they are protecting themselves from scrutiny and people gaining remedy from them. I also witnessed a EON employee telling me that "FDS do not have to answer anyone," they would not give me any way of complaining directly to them as is the Gov's advice before A Small Claims Tract. I am just making sure now that I record all my efforts to do what I can to give a chance for FDS to attempt to put right what they did to me. I have witnesses and I intend to take them to court. EON has damned them and all the info they provided shows how messed up and disgusting they are, I seriously have witnessed staff laughing at me on the phone when I am trying to tell them what happened. I t seems if you do not pay a bill (in my case this was out of my hands) Then your deserving of what seems to me an inside laugh as the know how we (the vulnerable) get treated when FDS turn up, yes, very much felt this and challenged one employee once.. I have spoken to a Solicitor and they are happy  to do something for me over this. Also the police were phoned by myself even though they threatened me with police "To Help Them Take My DOOR OF ITS HINGES" The police did turn up, they told me that they rarely ever turn up for these idiots as the FDS and others attempt to use the police through bull crapping them. They also said go through a few hoops and if your not happy come back to them, I have a mobile number as they said that a crime number would come after I have exhausted the other moves. They do not like these Debt People one bit, that was comforting. Sorry if this is a little all over but it was all over complexed (I can see why now) but  just wanted to share my experiences and I will be happy to share further if anyone needs to know. I am still wondering what to do but one thing is for sure, I will not be going away, EVER! good luck
    • what does it say if the claimant fails please?
    • Thanks for the feedback.  We have a professional surveyor friend who is willing to give an opinion, and once done as you say, there's no reason not to inform insurers. And as Eric's brother says, that will also give us, hopefully, a more specific discussion with neighbours. No, we can't view the neighbour's roofing from where we are, and neither can they as it's under their conservatory (we always thought it was a bad move on their part to cover felting with a conservatory!) Interesting that council have enforcement powers, hadn't realised that.  I've also had a builder advise, without visiting the site, that the dividing wall (which may be double-skinned) should have waterproof capping, which it doesn't; so maybe a simple solution is to install that across top of both sides.  Anyway, some next steps for us to take so thanks again.
    • un-en doesn't mean its written off but SB'd passing does.. and no why should you get the money??   they are notional charges that weren't paid by you anyway in the 1st place as there is was outstanding balance greater than the refund.
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
Glitch

£625 to get my car back from a PPC

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3611 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Any help or advice on this subject will be gratefully received.

I parked my car in a "Customer Parking Only" bay on a Saturday evening. Only shop open in the parade was the kebab shop that I was heading for. I was not aware of any other signs at the time.

Having ordered my Chicken Shish I waited in the shop for it to be cooked. It could not have taken more than 10 minutes. As I was about to pay I saw my car on the back of a trailer.

Returning to the parking spot I found another sign on the wall of the nearest shop about private property and having to diplay a valid permit. There is a private car park behind the fence which I wouldn't dream of parking in but seeing a Customer Parking Only sign made me assume I could park.

To cut a long story short I had to take the day off on the Monday to retrieve my car. I had to pay £625 in cash, broken down as:-

• £100 "Parking charge notice"
  • £125 "Clamp removal"
  • £280 "Removal Fee"
  • £120 "Storage"

The car had no stickers or tickets applied. He cannot have had time to clamp and declamp. Clearly a case of towing the vehicle away in record time and maximising the "damages".

Anyone dealt with a simlar case and any advice on suitable defence?

Edited by Glitch

Welcome to CAG.

You need to separate those images as you other pictures on Photobucket may allow you to be identified.

If you want your money, you will have to commence legal proceedings against them, but I am sure someone else will be along to assist you more.

There is a good reason why we will have no more private clamping to stop this extortion as from next year.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Thank you. i have remove the photo link

Looks as though this is a classic extortion [problem]. They could not do all this within 10 minutes, but because you paid - the only action you can comtempl;ate is suing in the Small Claims Court againt both the landowner and the PPC that lifted your vehicle.

Thanks. I will identify who they are contracted with, e.g. the land owner or tenant. Send them a Letter before Action and see what happens.

Forget the tenant, they are not liable only the landowner can give authority for collection.

and dont forget private clamping has just been outlawed too..

interesting...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

interesting...

dx

Except that ban does not come into force until November at the earliest.

interesting...

dx

No it hasn't. It has still to go through Parliamrnt and is slated for November, but for some future deadline in 2011.

darn..

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Forget the tenant, they are not liable only the landowner can give authority for collection.

Are you sure about this? The shop owner has admitted she contracted EPE to control parking on 3 spaces that the she claims to rent the spaces from Redbridge Council.

I am checking with Redbridge to find out what contract if any is in place. I am sure Redbridge will know nothing about EPE.

The plot is unregistered according to LRO but I suspect it may be part of the road adopted by Redbridge. I have put is a request for them to explain the adoption plan for this road.

As far as I can be, as litigation requires the authority of the land owner. a lessor could have this, but only if it was specifically a condition of their agreement. Someone who pays rent is just that, they don't get much else, not even to the minerals below or the airspace above.

A contract for parking services between the renter and parking contractor is just that, an agreement between them. YOU are not a party to it, neither I assume did you agree to the action taken. If forced, then it becomes an issue of extortion, and as was stipulated in the Scottish courts 12years ago, a remedy that was out of proportion to the original act.

OK. I need to get the council to provide me with everything they can tell me about that plot. I should have that in the next week or so.

If the shop owner is renting from the council can I take the council to court even if they are not aware of what the shop owner and the PPC are up to?

If the council deny any knowledge of this plot of land do I only has recourse to criminal law assuming the PPC will just rack up another CCJ?

Does anyone get anywhere with the police if there is a clear case of the shopowner and/or PPC breaking the law?

No, you cannot take the Council to court as they've done nothing wrong. If you've paid the Parking Company (because you had to) then it is them you take to court as they had no lawful authority to do charge you. There is no 'criminal law' issue here. This is purely civil dispute (in England) but in Scotland it is extortion, so the Police will decline to become involved. If you had refused to pay, more than likely the clamp would have been removed whilst they seek other punters worth mugging. Once you find who the landowner is, you simply ask them to confirm or deny that the parking firm acted on their authority, and get it in writing. Without this authority, the charges become untenable and an order for repayment will surely follow - but there are no guarantees.

Finally, nobody has broken any criminal law.

I find it incredible that a PPC can just remove a car and charge whatever they like whether they have a valid contract with the land owner or not.

It feels like theft, fraud and extortion to me.

It certainly feels like that, but the wind is slowly changing, perhaps not fast enough. When you realise that it is only a commercial transaction (a way to provide a service at no cost to the requestor, but make the supposed transgressor pay for something the landowner doesn't like.

sounds like they are making a quick buck before the axe falls

I should add that the "Private Property" sign on which they will rely is actually on a different property under a different though unregistered title. There is no sign on the plot on which I parked. I am confident that I have an excellent case and that I will win. The challenge will be getting the refund. Hence the need to know whether I can pursue someone other than the PPC.

The shop owner appears to be complicit in this having engaged the PPC and presumably getting a slice of the income.

I can't wait to find out the council's role in this, if any. If they are involved I don't expect them to know whats going on but happy to give them some publicity when I find out.

A private property sign is pretty much useless. In essence it is only a statement - like 'guns can kill'. They cannot 'rely' on this sign, for anything. They would have to show they had erected a No Parking sign, and the measures they will take to discourage people from parking these. The sign would also have to be esaily visible, and to clamp they would need to be a BPA member. Other than that - anyone can buy a book of tickets, hi-viz vest, and parking enforcement signage.

The shop owner won;t be complicit. They will have outsourced parking control to this bunch of monkeys. They wont pay for the service, as the renumeration model is based on providing the service at no cost and the firm takes all the money collected. The council won't care what happens, nor be sympathetic. Remember, they have their own vehicle enforcement to contend with.

Got to disagree. Regardless of whether they have outsourced they are still liable for damages and the actions of their agent. Their liability may be nil because they have been indemnified through their contractor with the clamper but the OP is not a party to that agreement and it is largely irrelevent. The OP should sue both the person who engaged the clamper and the clamper.

Grounds are going to be inadequate signage.

OP please read the clamping guide in the stickies section of the forum. It will help you build a case against them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got to disagree. Regardless of whether they have outsourced they are still liable for damages and the actions of their agent. Their liability may be nil because they have been indemnified through their contractor with the clamper but the OP is not a party to that agreement and it is largely irrelevent. The OP should sue both the person who engaged the clamper and the clamper.

Grounds are going to be inadequate signage.

OP please read the clamping guide in the stickies section of the forum. It will help you build a case against them.

That feels right to me. The shop owner has contracted the PPC and surely has some liability.

Already preparing a case citing Vine v LB of Waltham Forest for signage which should be sufficient.

Also on the excessive "penalty"(which it clearly is) planning to cite Excel v Hetherington-Jakeman.

Is there not also a potential claim that as a tenant, the shopkeeper did not have the legal right to contract the clamper in the first place to clamp on land they did not own?

Is there not also a potential claim that as a tenant, the shopkeeper did not have the legal right to contract the clamper in the first place to clamp on land they did not own?

I guess it depends on the agreement they claim to have with the council. I think it could stretch into the realms of criminal law if they do not have permissiom of the land owner.

A scattergun approach is certainly possible, however namimg additional parties (simply for completeness) can backfire as they too can increase the costs to the OP should they be successful in challenging it.

If the shop owner has contracted the PPS surely they are both liable?

Any action taken by the PPS has been authorised by the contractor, i.e. the shop owner in this case, especially for a towing away which needs a call between the PPS and the landowner/tenant.

The PPS will probably ignore any CCJ and won't give a monkeys about the people that have contracted them.