Leaving work and claiming ESA

AnT2nY
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I need some advice. I have currently been suspended from my work due to alot of issues which goes back to when my mum passed away unexpectly 3 days before my 21st birthday.

I know I am severly depressed and have tried to commit suicide a few times, the police attended once so they would have it on record that a friend was very concerned about my welfare etc, that night after the police left me I took a months worth of strong sleeping pills and lots of other pills.

I had an investigatory and disciplinary meeting with my employer and they are very concerned about what I have been doing to my self (excessive drink and drug use). at this meeting I basically told them I don't really know what I want to happen next whether I want to return to work or leave to sort my life out.

The past year has made my life go totally down hill and I think I have now finally hit rock bottom and feel I have nothing else to live for.

Before my mum passed away some would say I was on the top of the mountain, 20yrs old, rented a 2bed luxury flat, had a great social life, earnt 22-29k a year and was highly thought of by the management, the MD actually told me that I was indispensable.

Here are the events that happened over the past year briefly

Mum passed away, the youngest and only child out of 3 to sit with her before the coroner came

Work gave me 3months fully paid sick and compassionate leave

Arranged the funeral on my own, without the help of family members

Grandparents fraudently received Death Insurance and lied to me and my siblings

Started heavily drinking, doing drugs and totally unable to sleep

Got evicted from my flat for rent arrears, moved in with my sister

Got Carbon Monoxide Poisioning

Got arrested for accusations of fraud

Had an informal meeting with my work due to the excessive absense and fraud accusations

Started counselling for "Employment Retention"

Then got suspended for the above and looking at confidential information

I personally feel that I need to take a break from my job of which I have been there for 3 years now to get my life back on track. My role in the company is very stressful and puts alot of pressure on me.

I am considering leaving employment due to my depression as I really feel I need to concentrate on getting through this bad spell. My sister currently claims benefits so I would be added to the Housing Benefit Claim but I am wondering how I should really go about this to be able to claim ESA ASAP as I can easily get a sick note from my GP for 3months and I should be able to extend it constantly.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

Firstly suicide is not the way, 8 months ago i was where you are at the moment, I tried it twice, a stomach pump is not nice, I'm now over the worst so i'm glad i failed, well most of the time i anyway.

i would advise against quiting your job, wait from them to finish you, no doubt they'll use ATOSh to say your unfit.

ESA is a real pain, if/when you do claim it, about 3 months in you will get an ESA50 to fill in, this is where you can help yourself the most, i didn't know this when i did mine, you really need to get as much help and advice to help you fill it in, theres loads of info in threads on here which will help. Next will be the ATOSh "Medical", if you have to go for one then be prepared for loads of upset, you will almost certainly fail, yup one day they will say your unfit and the next they'll say you are fit, then you appeal, while waiting for the appeal, which will be months, i have just got my date, 10 months since i lodged my appeal, you will have plenty of time on your hands, you will have to go into the jobcentre for a total of 6 interviews, these are a waste of time but you still have to go, all mine ended in about 2 minutes because i lost my temper everytime.

Thats as far as i've got so can't really offer more but i know that even if i win my appeal i will be filling in another ESA 50 within weeks, and so it'll all start again this is the system. i'm sorry to say.

On a positive note in the time since i lodged my appeal, i have had a couple of months of reletive peace to try to sort my head out, which is all i wanted in the first place. Pity i had to go through all this hassle instead of dealing with the issues which put me on ESA in the first place. Even if i lose my appeal i'll just be getting back on the roundabout again, i'll be re-applying straight away but this time i know what to expect so hopefully i won't get as stressed and upset as this time around.

Hope this helps, and remember that thing can change in no time, so don't do today what you might regret tomorrow.

Rbs £114 + contractual at 29.84% I won total=£125 no laughing it's a win

Don't moan about it DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT :D

Thanks for the reply

I received a letter from work yesterday saying they are terminating my employment for gross misconduct with 30days notice, that they do not want me to work.

So what do I do now? ... can I just goto my GP, get signed off sick and the apply for ESA straight away, or do I have to wait till the "30days notice" to finish before I can claim? also is there some sort of waiting time like i think there is with JSA where you have to wait 6weeks or so after being sacked or voluntarily leaving

Hi i think you'll have to wait until the 30 days are up. I'd apply matbe 2 or 3 weeks before the end of your notice period to get the ball rolling.I don't think there is waiting time, maybe you don't get paid for the first 3 days, not really sure.

Personnally i would start a new post in the employment section about getting sacked, it doesn't sound right to me and i'd fight it all the way, i know it can be stressful but it'll give you something else to think about other than your main problems, i found fighting against the ATOS report brought me back from the edge. I know that i will have to deal with my main problems but feel i'll be better able to deal with them if i manage to get a victory... does that make sense? lol

Rbs £114 + contractual at 29.84% I won total=£125 no laughing it's a win

Don't moan about it DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT :D

Thanks for the reply

So what do I do now? ... can I just goto my GP, get signed off sick and the apply for ESA straight away, or do I have to wait till the "30days notice" to finish before I can claim? also is there some sort of waiting time like i think there is with JSA where you have to wait 6weeks or so after being sacked or voluntarily leaving

To apply for ESA you'll need to show proof of your illnes a letter from your GP or anything from your friends or family stating your mental health since your mother passed away as your work is giving you 30 days notice are they e paying you a wage for that 30 days? then as you've mentioned you have to wait claiming ESA but it won't be that easy as the other poster stated you will have to have a medical before you get ESA.