Jump to content

Not declaring an employment benefit claim


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4164 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I've received a letter informing me I need to attend an IUC for having committed a criminal offence in relation to a benefit claim (Carer's allowance) by not declaring employment.


Does this mean, according to them I have another job which I had not declared or would it be something else?


I thought it could be current employment because I'm supposed to be able to earn up to £100 a week after certain expenses. When signed up for the carer's allowance, my weekly income was about £80, since then the hourly wage has increased and I now earn about £108 a week. But because of the '£100 after certain expenses' part I didn't think it was that. I've not had any other employment as far I can remember :-?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its £95 a week now. What are your certain expenses ?


You will be given at form at the IUC to declare your allowable expenses to see if this brings your earnings down to an acceptable limit.

You should have declared your full earnings to Carers Allowance and they would have sent you this form through the post and as you haven't it has resulted in you having to attend an IUC


It looks as if they think that you have been earning over the limit without declaring it. They cannot make a decision on your 'certain expenses' without knowing what they are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It went up from £95 per week to £100 per week in April of this year.


Expenses can include the following:


  • NI contributions
  • income tax
  • half of any money paid towards personal or occupational pension schemes
  • things you have to pay because they are a necessary part of the job

After these are taken off, you are allowed up to half the rest of the money you earn to help meet the cost of paying someone else (but not a close relative) to look after a child, or to look after the disabled person that you get CA for, while you are at work.


It's likely as kk3852 said.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.



Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)





Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...