Companion for Grievance Meeting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband is a minority director for a small company that has recently taken on 2 new directors - numerous problems with him not being consulted not invited to board meeting etc, so he has written a grievance letter and the company have arranged a meeting. My husband wants to take someone into the meeting as new directors can be very bullying basically for support. He asked if this was ok and initially told it would be ok - now they are not so sure. His contract states that it has to be a union person or a work collegue - this is where the problem lies - he is not part of any union and he is not allowed to discuss the ongoing issues with anyone - so if he choices an employee he has to divulge a lot of information to them and if they want to keep their job they will side with the new directors - as there have been a spate of redundancies for people who didn't toe the line. My husband wants to take a family friend with him - as he feels this is quite a unique case - any advise ?

Edited by Sandieh

The ACAS Code only permits a colleague or properly accredited TU Rep. A companion not falling into either category would only be allowed if the employer was willing.

The role of a witness at a grievance or disciplinary hearing is precisely that - as a witness, and to take notes if required. Their role is simply to confirm what was discussed and what was said by whom if the employee's memory of events is clouded by the occasion. The matter of siding with one party or another should not be an issue. If they are unwilling to accept a family friend as a companion, perhaps they would be willing to allow the meeting to be recorded?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

My partner will be having an employment meeting coming up soon and would like to record it would a mobile phone with record on record the meeting if it was left it on the table where the meeting is to be held, or does it have to be a specific mobile phone with a special function that will do a record of the meeting for over an hr. :confused:

I got a little device from ebay for about £20, it is a voice recorder made to look like a memeory stick so very small. Records about 200 hrs on it! It has really got to be put in top pocket though as voice quaility not good enough if in trouser pocket.