Letting out upstairs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I’m having trouble making ends meet but my partner and I live in a four bedroom house my children have both recently left home and we are not really ready to retire and move to a part of the country where property is cheaper.

In the past when I was a single parent I let out the spare rooms which was great at the time but now I don’t fancy the idea of sharing my kitchen and bathroom. So I’m thinking of putting in a kitchen upstairs so that I could let our upstairs as a two bedroom flat. Then we could live downstairs, I’m thinking of a temporary partition in the hallway then we could use the side door and the tenant have access upstairs via the front door (but just now I’m not keen on the expense of separating the electricity, water & gas because in 5-7 years I may want to move near my family in Cornwall and the house would be better sold as a four bedroom rather that two flats).

The trouble is what sort of tenancy agreement is applicable a lodger agreement does not seem OK because we won’t be sharing any part of the property.

Any thought would be much appreciated.

You are effectively talking about splitting one dwelling into two.

I would have thought that before you worry about tenancy agreements etc, that you will have various considerations regarding planning permission etc.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I cant see how you can. You cant have the benefits of making a property self contained without the downfalls.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!