style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all; thanks for taking the time to read this.

We are looking to move to a new town, and by reasons of luck and chance, we've never rented with an agency before. We've found a home we like, but it's with an agency and they are requiring a £200 credit check before advancing our application.

My husband is baulking at the cost. Is there any way to get a credit check independently and hand it over to them, or is that pointless? Is an expensive credit check something we just have to accept?

Thanks.

The credit check really is something you just have to accept I'm afraid.

They wont (if they have any sense) allow you to do one and give it to them, as it could be changed prior to handing over (not implying you would do this of course).

Basically, if you refuse to pay the credit check then they can simply refuse to rent to you.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Assuming the £200 is a credit check AND refernce/general admin/tenancy agreement fee then £200 is reasonably standard (if a little on the high side). If it is £200 for just a credit check and they expect extra for refrencing/drawing up the tenancy agreement etc then it is VERY expensive.

Agreed its expensive guys (if its not for other fees also), but why would you report to Trading Standards?

At the end of the day, the agent is charging (partially) for a service.

Trading Standards are not going to force the agent to change whatever they feel they should charge. The choice is simple - use them, or dont.

If Currys were selling a TV for double that Amazon were, would you report them? Nope - you simple wouldnt use them.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!