Parking Eye - photographic evidence of the driver

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4979 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Fair enough.

Considering Smith and Hogan was rated an "excellent piece of work which elucidates the criminal law for judges..." by The Hon Mr Justice Pitchford, who has been a High Court judge for 10 years, I'd say that it's fairly authoritative.

The High Court has made several rulings that concern a failure to pay for a service, further to this - the statute says that failure to pay for a service is an offence.

Not if the liability for that 'service' is in question its not Simply refusing to pay whilst not failing to provide your address (ie reg) is not a criminal offence its a contractual dispute

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if the liability for that 'service' is in question its not Simply refusing to pay whilst not failing to provide your address (ie reg) is not a criminal offence its a contractual dispute

Ah, but the reg no is not and does not provide a key to the contact details of the driver but only the registered keeper who is under no obligation to provide the contact details of the driver.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Ah, but the reg no is not and does not provide a key to the contact details of the driver but only the registered keeper who is under no obligation to provide the contact details of the driver.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

AND the High Court did not rule is was a criminal offence they ruled it was & is a breach of contract

What case was this!?

As Bernie said, a reg number does not always provide a means of contacting someone. Even if the identity of the defendant is known to the victim, there can still be liability under section 3.

If you can't identify the person you agreed a contract with, you are on a hiding to nothing.

If you want to be paid for a service, construct an enforceable contract. If you can't be arsed with that and want to attempt to cash in on 'easy money' you deserve to come across every hurdle the law has put in place.

Just got a threatening letter from these Parking Eye jokers, pay £40 within 14 days or else you'll pay £70 or go to court etc.

I overstayed in a FREE 90 minute carpark for 11 minutes. Missus is a bit worried, but after reading the various threads on this forum, I'm going to ignore it.

If you can't identify the person you agreed a contract with, you are on a hiding to nothing.

If you want to be paid for a service, construct an enforceable contract. If you can't be arsed with that and want to attempt to cash in on 'easy money' you deserve to come across every hurdle the law has put in place.

The discussion with Jon was not about enforcing a contract though.

It was about possible criminal liability arising where someone enters a car park and does not pay (an attendant for example) the requisite fee.

I got a second letter (with "evidence") and their invoice isn't even due yet!!! Only been 10 days or so. They're keen!!!

The "evidence" shows a grainy image... which might be a car... entering somewhere... and leaving somewhere... apparantly later the same day... *snigger*