Can anyone advise me please?

AuraTodd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4988 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have borderline learning difficulties and I went to my Santandar bank and they said they had a message on their system to see an advisor. I was told that it showed on my file that I bought things like books off the internet using my debit Visa card. That they advised me to go for a Santandar zero credit card which I was a bit worried about as you hear so many horror stories of people being in debt.

I was told that If I used my debit card fraudsters might get hold of my details and steal my money and it would take age's to get back. As with this card I would be covered.

Stupidly I have applied for it and I am a bit worried I have done the wrong thing. Can you please advise me if I have done the right thing. if not, should I give it back? I am on benefits which doesn't help. Many thanks.

If you dont feel you need a credit card, cancel it now. Yes credit cards do offer more protection, but the spend to get insurance of your purchase would have to be 100 pounds or over. I am concerned that you were given advice that a credit card was a good protection against people getting your monies. I mean as long as you are careful, a lot of people happily use their debit card for online purchases.

I have mental health problems and entered an abbey now santander branch to do general business and came out persuaded to first apply for credit card I didnt need and was refused, then they force fed me I now realise a loan for 3.500 I dint want or intend on wanting. They said I would be silly to refuse as it would help me. I tried to return the monies but they wernt having any of it and led me a dance till cancellation period was gone. As they let me leave with no agreement I didnt know how long the cancellation period was even !!!!

My point is in my opinion this bank plays on the vulnerable and will say anything to reach their sales targets. I mean if I wanted a loan or card fair enough, but even after being refused they still moved onto a loan. They of course totally refuse to accept anything I said and wouldnt even take my complaint seriously.

Now I owe them the money as it was sat around and well it was speant on whatever that I shouldnt have had the oppertunity to stupidly do, if they hadnt persuaded me to take it out. I am now in dispute with them and not paying it back, tough on them and I know a court would look sympathetically on me and only make me pay what I could afford.

So if you have any worries that you could get yourself into debt with this, then cancel it now. If you feel okay to use it carefully when suits you then okay too. Thing is some of us cant help who we are and shouldnt be put in the postition of getting into debt when we didnt need to.

Next time they ask you to take this or apply for that do what I do now, say only if you dont expect me to pay it back, soon shuts them up and they leave you alone. You see sometimes no is not enough to these people and people like me feel they are in authority and do what suggest especially if saying we are silly not to. No is a powerful word and if they dont accept it tell them you will change banks if they pressure you into debt.

ps. Hopefully shouldnt come to that but I am with the coop and they have onfile on my request been told never to try to sell me credit as I cant cope with the stress of it or able to pay for it. They havnt bothered me :)

So if you dont want to risk debt, cancel the card, you will also feel better having done it. You did say you were worrying about getting into debt, no card, no debt xxxxx Best wishes xxxxxxx I use my debit card online and not had a problem, just carry on being careful xxx

• Haha 1

Thanks for that. They said that if I made a purchase using the card then came on the same day into the bank to use my debit card to pay off the money onto this card, then I wouldn't have a problem. Is this true?

The card arrived in the post this morning but I still have nagging doubts. E-mailed CAB who said they couldn't help through E_mail and I have to make an appointment.

I do think you can make payments to your card in that way, I think and I know for instance you could pay your card off in full monthly to avoid a lot of interest.

Thing is as youve said and hinted you are worried about debt and the thing is its too easy for some to not pay off in full and think okay can catch up etc..... Before we know it we owe a lot.

If you are disciplined and religious in paying card off in full, its okay, but if you have any nagging doubt you might not cope with the card then cancel it now, because the stress when in a mess is just not worth it. Even when my bank were made aware they already were aware of my condition when opening bank acct with santander/abbey they didnt care, they pestered me and even suggested I had gained the money with no intention of paying it back despite me trying to return it, I found this extremely distressing and the calls were repetative and viscious. it turned out they had put I worked for the dwp on the application on their systems when my account clearly says my benefits eg dla etc.... and ammounts. How they transposed on benefits to working for them I put down to them knowing the system more likely to accept me if working, easy to argue afterwards it was a mistake. Odd they turned me down for card, wonder what they put in form then was it different?

Have you checked what they put on form for you, are you working or on benefits, obviuously you dont have to answer. But if on benefits like me please be careful.

I honestly think santander in my opinion are one to avoid if you are vulnerable because despite what they protest, if something does go wrong or you become ill or carried away with card, they wont show any sympathy. At least you have sensibly questioned your worries before it got too late despite what the staff tell you xxxxx

Be all and end all its up to you xxxxx CAB would probably pick up your concerns and say cancel it if dont think can cope with it.

Any nagging concerns are there for a reason and probably your best friend but again its up to you :) xxxxxxx

I do think you can make payments to your card in that way, I think and I know for instance you could pay your card off in full monthly to avoid a lot of interest.

Thing is as youve said and hinted you are worried about debt and the thing is its too easy for some to not pay off in full and think okay can catch up etc..... Before we know it we owe a lot.

If you are disciplined and religious in paying card off in full, its okay, but if you have any nagging doubt you might not cope with the card then cancel it now, because the stress when in a mess is just not worth it. Even when my bank were made aware they already were aware of my condition when opening bank acct with santander/abbey they didnt care, they pestered me and even suggested I had gained the money with no intention of paying it back despite me trying to return it, I found this extremely distressing and the calls were repetative and viscious. it turned out they had put I worked for the dwp on the application on their systems when my account clearly says my benefits eg dla etc.... and ammounts. How they transposed on benefits to working for them I put down to them knowing the system more likely to accept me if working, easy to argue afterwards it was a mistake. Odd they turned me down for card, wonder what they put in form then was it different?

Have you checked what they put on form for you, are you working or on benefits, obviuously you dont have to answer. But if on benefits like me please be careful.

I honestly think santander in my opinion are one to avoid if you are vulnerable because despite what they protest, if something does go wrong or you become ill or carried away with card, they wont show any sympathy. At least you have sensibly questioned your worries before it got too late despite what the staff tell you xxxxx

Be all and end all its up to you xxxxx CAB would probably pick up your concerns and say cancel it if dont think can cope with it.

Any nagging concerns are there for a reason and probably your best friend but again its up to you :) xxxxxxx

Hi I am on income support and DLA

Aura just to test how truthful the employees were selling you this product, you could check they havnt put you down as employed. You see any problems later and they will lay the blame at your door like they did with me. I mean people on benefits can get credit and credit cards also but I asked santander if they had not put me down as working would I have been accepted and she said she couldnt answer me and went quiet. I asked in branch do they actively encourage people on benefits especially when point out vulnerable(I was annoyed by then :) ) to get credit when cant afford to pay it and they wouldnt answer me. Head office told me they dont pressure sell and are happy to accept no, I dont believe it and think there is a failure within this bank.

Remeber they approached you, not you them and they are only interested in profit. You know out of the problems I had some from years ago mind you, abbey were the only ones to refuse to stop charging me interest and fees monthly and let a 27.00 debit through their error of paying out a cancelled cheque, turn into a debt of nearly 300.00. When I question them they just dont want to know and say the matter is closed as far as they are concerned, yet they pass it to debt collectors.

So my attitude to them now is I want my day in court.

Please be careful, sorry if I am going on but my kids had to deal with me and put it this way they cannot walk past a santander branch without growling now xxxx :)