Moving out of home and benefits

Joxer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I have a question concerning moving out of a house that I have a Mortgage on with my wife.

My wife left me about 4 months ago and moved in with her parents (largely due to financial problems), taking our two young children (2 and 6). We have financial issues and I was horrified when she told me that she was looking for a flat to rent, as I had tried to talk her into coming back to me, but if not, moving back into our house with me moving in with my mother. Our combined income and benefits could not stretch to paying for two properties (one is hard enough) and it makes more sense for her to move back and for me to move out, so the kids can be back home and the mortgage gets paid.

Can anyone advise me as to how this works with benefits? I will be registered as living with my mother, but still have my name on the mortgage of our property. I can then give most of my wages over to my wife and kids and she can claim benefits as a single parent, keeping our own property and without the need for help with housing (apart from MIR). Hopefully this will be short term, if I can persuade her to let me return to the house.

Thanks in advance,

Joxer

I can then give most of my wages over to my wife and kids and she can claim benefits as a single parent,

I believe if you are going to give her most of your wages she may have problem claiming Income Support because she is getting help from someone elses and what are you going to live on? I am finding it hard to understand where you are coming from if your wife decide to come and live back into the marriage home and if she is not having any help from you she can claim Income Support and Housing Benefit I think they pay some money towards mortgage not very sure about that one. In theory if she is not working she can claim Income Support as a Lone parent but make sure you both understand the situations with regards to benefits. I am sure you will have better help as to what to do but it looks like you'll need to both sort out the situations before heading to the Job Centre for claiming benefits.

• Confused 1

From the CAB advice guide to Income Support:

"Your income is the money you have coming in each week. This could be other benefits, earnings from part-time work, income from capital (see under Your capital) or any other money you have coming in. Your income will affect your Income Support though some income is disregarded. This means that various types of income are not taken into account, for example child maintenance. Other types of income are only partially disregarded so that only part of it affects your benefit."

Child maintenance being fully disregarded as income is a change to the system introduced in April 2010 according to the CSA website.

• Confused 1

Many thanks to you both.

The money I would be contributing would be Maintanence, so should not affect the Income Support.

Does anyone have any more information on the type of benefit she would receive regarding the Mortgage? My worry was that my name remaining on the Mortgage would affect her benefits.

Joxer

hi Joxer

If you moved in with your mother and your wife moved back into the house she could claim I.S

She would get help with the mortgage see link below

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_180321

If over twenty five she would get £65.45 per week for herself from I.S and about fifty six pounds each for the children, plus her child benefit.

With regards to your house if she rents a property and claims I.S from a flat the DM would give a twenty six weeks disregard on your house and and then you would have to show steps that you are trying to sell it because she will have an interest in that property and it could be classed as capital., This disregard though can be extended

If she moves back into the house, then your name on the mortgage does not effect I.S You will have to decide how much of the mortgage you are going to pay. You can pay all if you like or half etc. When and if she claims mortgage releif she will tell I.S about this and should get help on the balance. Any other maintenance you give to your wife is now disregarded for I.S purposes.

She can claim housing benefit to help with council tax... Because she will be classed as a recently seperated she will get a visit from compliance after a few weeks

hope things work out for you both