My Mail being sent to Spain

bsj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved to my present property in dec 09.The previous tenant died and her daughter who lives in Spain used this address for her UK mail.

I received a text message from the daughter today to inform me that royal mail have been redirecting my mail to her address in Spain.

I have no idea how she got my mobile number,but this has resulted in me missing an important hospital appointment,she has admitted to opening my mail,in Jan 10 a redirection was set up for her mail it would seem all was well up to the end of july 10 when my regular postie went on holday.

Just by coincidence we have the same forename but a different surname.I have been to my local sorting office and there was no-one to deal with my complaint,i have to wait untill friday.

I'm concerned about the fact that my mail has been sent to a complete stranger,what direction should i take with this as i'm concerned it's a data breach as well as me missing an hospital appointment.

Thank you for the quick response,i am listed on 192.com,my details are on there.(Penny just dropped as to where she accquired my number)

I thought it maybe the ICO i had to complain to,the only evidence i have at the moment is the text message,i am going to contact the daughter to ask her to send my post on to me so i have the hospital letter as well.The more i have the better.

Sods law that a letter from Mckenzie hall made it to me for an SBD.Just glad she did'nt get that one.

Just standard incompetence. Usually when the usual postie goes off/moved, the redirections cease - so just your luck to get someone who overcompensated and diverted everything. You'll probably get a book of stamps. I don;t see the ICO being able to do much, there was no defined data breach, RM didn't open it - and the recipient would not have been able to return it to you by popping it back in the mail (without paying for it).

I can hardly beleive this was allowed to happen,as you said it's incompetence.

The manager at my local sorting office has launched an investigation he also said he is going to try to retreive my post.

I don't hold my breath.

The ICO were not very helpful at all,they said to complain to royal mail direct. AS far as they were concerned there is no data breach.So you were right on that point.

I know the hospital have sent three more letters to me and i have not received any of them.I must assume they have ended up in spain.

I'm a little miffed that someone that has never resided at this address has been allowed to set up a redirection in the first place,it would seem anyone can set one up as long as they have used the address for a postal address.

Redirections are based on the FULL name, not just the SURNAME, So if there were 3 different people you'd have to pay for 3 redirection fees, so as it was not your name on the letters, the redirect should notr have taken place. Hopefully by making a fuss, you'll not get the mail to which you are entitled. Regarding the service itself, as you discovered anyone can set up (and pay) for a diversion, and is well known as a great way to steal identities too - so everyone needs to be aware of these issues if their usual mail flow seems unusual.

Redirections are based on the FULL name, not just the SURNAME, So if there were 3 different people you'd have to pay for 3 redirection fees, so as it was not your name on the letters, the redirect should notr have taken place. Hopefully by making a fuss, you'll not get the mail to which you are entitled. Regarding the service itself, as you discovered anyone can set up (and pay) for a diversion, and is well known as a great way to steal identities too - so everyone needs to be aware of these issues if their usual mail flow seems unusual.

Mine seems to very unusual as they have directed on the basis of my first name and have ignored the surname completely.

Albeit an unusal name, even so they have made a severe mistake.Since this came to light i hardly get any mail at all.

I have requested that the redirection be removed,but my request can't be fulfilled as the person has paid for the service.

Very worrying in this day and age when were all told to safeguard our personal data.

I'm in the process of getting my details removed from 192.com.Not an easy accomplishment as iv'e discovered to my frustration.

Still i have my compensension of a book of first class stamps to look forward to:|:lol:

I have requested that the redirection be removed,but my request can't be fulfilled as the person has paid for the service.

poppycock on the advice from the delivery office

if there is only a part family move, special redirection cards are in place

if your details are on the redirection card in error or whatever

go to the delivery office with a letter requesting your details be removed from the redirection card.

the delivery office can make up a new one and the address labels

take in some id with you

buzby is correct

this is someone being lazy on the sorting frame

we have them in our office

six hour casual workers but employed by royal mail not an agency

poppycock on the advice from the delivery office

if there is only a part family move, special redirection cards are in place

if your details are on the redirection card in error or whatever

go to the delivery office with a letter requesting your details be removed from the redirection card.

the delivery office can make up a new one and the address labels

take in some id with you

buzby is correct

this is someone being lazy on the sorting frame

we have them in our office

six hour casual workers but employed by royal mail not an agency

I'll get it done right away,incidently when i spoke to the manager he reffered to the redirection as mine,i had to put him straight.

I did get the feeling the right does'nt know what the lefts doing during the conversation.

Thanks for the advice both you have been a great help.