Whose is this postcode?

POOPSiE
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4858 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm very careful with what letters I open at home and I have today received a letter from an address I don't know nor can find anything about.

When I put the full address in on google nothing comes up but when I omit the po box number it brings up a thread on here regarding Lloyds TSB. I have never had anything from Lloyds TSB - not even a bank account.

I haven't opened the letter yet and if I can't find out who it is I will just return it to sender.

Can anybody advise?

The address is :

PO Box 1916

Andover

SP10 9EF

Littlewoods - CCA'd 09/02/09

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Guest Cartaphilus

You will already have read it's BCW by now I expect but ... For PO boxes, just thought I'd mention this (Royal Mail told me a while ago it was one of the reasons I may not get a signed for confirmation from a PO box ie batch/bulk signed) ... One part of the code refers to the sorting office where the PO box is or located and the other refers to the company it eventually get's forwarded to. In this case, appears to be those scoundrels BCW. It may be useful for anyone else reading this thread, as quite often for when you are sending (not receiving correspondence) anything using a signed for service this is the most common reason why it often won't show on a search or when you try to get electronic confirmation.

For confirmation, anyone can also ask the Post Office/Royal Mail this themselves. :)

Royal Mail report this is an invalid postcode, it is not on their system.

This often happens where a company have had a PO Box address, but then failed to pay for it and it's been removed from the master database. Sadly, local sorting offices don't get told of this and happily continue to deliver...

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

All items that go to a PO Box should get signed for the same as any other item.

Items that need a signature are kept apart from the other mail in the box.

When the customer comes to collect it they show ID to prove the box is theirs the Mail is then handed to them and items are signed for.

There really is no need for all these conspiracy theories on these boards time after time on here regarding PO Boxes.

Of course the only danger is that the customer may not collect every day, but RM will return to sender any items that need a signature if not collected, after a period of time

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Guest Cartaphilus
There really is no need for all these conspiracy theories on these boards time after time on here regarding PO Boxes.
Sorry, but you have the wrong person as I do NOT do 'conspiracy theories' I deal with realities! The information I provided came from Royal Mail itself when I queried about 3 years ago why I couldn't get confirmation sometimes - odds on it was to a creditor as it just so happened using a PO Box - and I was informed that they were signed for as a batch, but also because both parts of the postcode came from different codes themselves eg one for the post box itself, the other referring to the company, that is why it sometimes didn't show up on the normal customer services number you phone or online. I then was provided - as it happens via an old post on this forum I found when searching - with the email address to the pod team who could not only provide me with a copy of the bulk signing, but signature as proof of delivery. Had I not been told this by anyone I would never have known such a thing was possible and merely passed it off as 'lost in the post' which as I had paid for RD - which I am well aware isn't a guaranteed service yet you are paying for a service which requires a signature upon delivery so at the least expect to get one when checking it's been delivered - and I also needed that all important delivery confirmation to keep as a papertrail ie proof of delivery. I received this information within 1 minute of phoning the number I was given in an email. So it proved very useful, but like I said had I not known as many out there may not know they can get confirmation would just assume it had been lost or never received. Well, with creditors/DCAs you do need this confirmation to prevent them later saying 'we never received it'. The information I was provided with came directly from the sorting office concerned not customer services. Edited by Cartaphilus

All items that go to a PO Box should get signed for the same as any other item.

As a PO Box holder myself I am afraid I have to dispute that. Items bearing my PO Box are delivered to an address, most of the time these are in a sealed bag, with 'signed for' items as well as normal post. I can't remember the last time I signed for any item, and I get them in the bag regularly. When I used to go pick up my post I only signed for items if they spotted them on top of the pile. Most of the time they were just thrown in with the rest.

I don't agree with it, I have to say it's not acceptable as people writing to me may wish to check I received an item. As it stands, I could deny getting anything and see what they do about it.

No conspiracy theory, just fact I'm sorry to say

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Guest Cartaphilus

This is the email address I came across and used in fact the other week to get delivery confirmation of a RD item that wasn't showing online or with customer services (I must stress it doesn't always work, in fact it didn't on the DCA PO Box I wanted confirmation from, it couldn't be found or traced apparently):

[email protected]

Edited by Cartaphilus

Guest Cartaphilus

If I have learned something that may benefit someone else, THEN I will post it if I am not asking for help for my own problems which I do so very rarely as it happens, preferring to help others get over their very real worries. I post what I have experienced, who knows it may even be useful to someone.

Edited by Cartaphilus

As a PO Box holder myself I am afraid I have to dispute that. Items bearing my PO Box are delivered to an address, most of the time these are in a sealed bag, with 'signed for' items as well as normal post. I can't remember the last time I signed for any item, and I get them in the bag regularly. When I used to go pick up my post I only signed for items if they spotted them on top of the pile. Most of the time they were just thrown in with the rest.

I don't agree with it, I have to say it's not acceptable as people writing to me may wish to check I received an item. As it stands, I could deny getting anything and see what they do about it.

No conspiracy theory, just fact I'm sorry to say

Well report them to customer service then as they are not doing their duties correctly.

All items that require a signature should get one upon delivery or collection.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Well report them to customer service then...

You think I had not already done that? - all that happened was I got no mail for a while, then it was late for ages, before we got a new guy doing the boxes at the sorting office, who had not been kicked by his boss. I'd rather have my post on time thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Cartaphilus

Really? So I wonder, then ... About the people who have paid their bills ... then along comes someone like Past It Credit Solutions saying 'pay us money we say you owe' and continue to harass people when it's clear they don't.

this business about po boxes,

i will clear it up as since i knackered my knee, that what i do now.

there are two types of po box

1/call collect

2/ registered po box number

anybody can set up a call collect, your mail is held in the sorting office /public callers and you come in and collect it with id

po box numbers are diferent as you have to apply for them, i believe its in portsmouth.

they check you out and then issue you with a pink card with your number on it.

again the mail gets put to one side.

the po box address has the office postcode and gets sorted and kept seperate by machines and comes to my frame as a mech bundle.

i then sort each letter to its pidgeon hole (bulk collections)

the po box holder has the option of having the mail delivered to there address,(i write the address on the envelope) as i have there real address, or it gets put to one side for collection

items such as recorded delivery ARE SIGNED FOR AT POINT OF COLLECTION BY PDA NOW, (NO EXCEPTIONS)

IF THE CLIENT FAILS TO PAY THE SUBSCRIPTION THEN I GET A MEMO FROM CREDIT CONTROL TO CANCEL THE PO BOX SERVICE

BELIEVE ME THEY ARE VERY QUICK, IME TALKING ONE DAY LATE IN PAYING

this business about po boxes...

I don't want to argue with anyone, but it seems different 'rules' apply in different areas.

I originally found this thread when I was looking at another thread about CL Finance aka Lewis group aka Cohen etc. They used a number of PO Box addresses, all with unique postcodes, but the Royal Mail website did not recognise some of them when searched.

My understanding is that they had these addresses at one time, but then they probably stopped paying for all the different box numbers. They were publishing them on letterheads, and even printed envelopes, and must have been getting stuff delivered, or they would have stopped it. Perhaps they have as they only seem to use one each for CL Finance and one for Cohen's now - unless anyone knows different?

EDIT: Drat, I meant to add tnat the PO Box address at the start of this thread still does not come up on the Royal Mail website - try a postcode search on SP10 9EF, but BCW are giving that out...

• 2 months later...

A post code tells the delivery office where the general address is located and can contain up to 80 different individual addresses (source Royal Mail web site). Usually the post code identifies a particular street or group of streets but not an individual private or commercial address. That is why Lloyds TSB shows up along with the likes of BCW, a debt collection agency and other similar firms. I suspect an office services company is located somewhere in the SP10 9EF area which offer mass mailings etc and that is why on the outside of the BCW letters is a note informing the receiver of the mail not to reply to the post code and box number. The registered address for BCW is 24 George Square, Glasgow, G2 1EG.

- AG