• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

prettyprincesscharlie and M&S

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4439 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,

have read all the threads re m&s and i wanted to tell you my story and ask for help/confirmation.

i got a M&S chg card with £500 limit in Oct 1997. i like yr other writers was hassled whilst shoppin in M&S. sometime later (few yrs at least), i got a m/card sent to me out of the blue (did not apply for it or sign anything for it). the limit was gradually increased (without my requesting it) to £4,500. i also had a child and a broken relationship and hence the card mounted up.

i requested s77-78 cca request and was SHOCKED when they sent me thr the supposed original cred agree as

1. my first name was clearly spelt wrong!

2. it was DEFINATELY not my hand writing

3. it was DEFINATELY not my signature! the application says it is "by post" but i know i did it in store - plus it has the name and store no etc of the m&S representive on it. the t&c they sent me were such a bad copy they were mostly unreadable and they come on a sep sheet to the app form. after re requesting the info in a readable form several times - i gave up and sent a SAR request.

today i received a bunch of old stmts printed via a microfiche with lots of codes on them that i dont know what they mean! they did send me some code info but most of the codes cannot be found on this index of codes (3 pages of codes and meanings!).

i have read on another link on this site that a credit agreement has to have customer's signature in a separate box to the lenders signature and that both sigs have to be IN the relevant box. well one question i have is this:-

1 my supposed (forged) signature - the "Y" on my surname loops right out the box!!! - can i catch these M&S / HSBC LIARS out on their stupid forgery of my signature?! also,

2 i definately did not sign up for the m&s mastercard and when i asked about this their reply was "When M&S introduced the &More Credit Card a letter was sent to you giving you the choice whether to accept the credit card or by using a free phone no provided, to opt out. i enc a sample of this letter for yr records. Having decided to accpt the new card it was posted to you, the enclosed correspondence included the varied t&c of the account. as the credit card was accepted you acknowledged the t&c associated with it.

This process was recommended to us by the OFT."

Surely this statement is lies??!!!

they are also refusing to give me any more info until i provide them with a signature. even tho they have sent me tons and tons of old stmts and in the recent past lots of default letters, doorstep threaten letters etc etc!!! and they want ME to provide them with dates of telephone conversations i may have had with them over the years before they provide me with a print out of them!!!!

oh and somewhere along the line - one dept has not talked to other dept and they have sent me a blank copy of the supposed app form and t&c - and this blank reconstructed one is different to the forgery one!

lastly, they also inform me that they are unable to provide me with a copy of any default notice but can inform me that one was issued on 02.06.2010.

they have also it appears passed my debt onto a Rockwell DCA - although officially i have not had this notified to me by m&s directly. i am not receiving nasty court threatening/doorstep visit letters from rockwell (represently m&s) whilst still getting nasty letters from m&s.

can someone pls help me on best was to reply - i need to do this very soon pls. would be very grateful on wat aspect you think i would be most likely to be able to shut these lot up! my credit file is already black so i dont care about that. however, i do not want a ccj as this could affect my employment.

thanking you in advance. x

:cheer2: Pretty Princess Charlie :cheer2:

If what they have sent you is the original chargecard agreement, then they might as well have sent you a copy of a page out the phone book imo. I have been through this with them about a year ago - see http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dealing-debt-scotland/199747-help-court-papers-m.html - the argument is all there in my reply to their poc. But basically what it amounts to is that transfering someone from a Chargecard with a small limit that can only be used in M&S, to a Mastercard with a larger limit that can be used wherever you want, is stupid beyond words. They are different products and there should be a separate agreement for each. The stuff about "there was a phone number" is just wind - there should have been a new agreement for the new card. This wasnt just updating an existing card (eg "your card expires next month, here's a new one"), but a whole new ball game. Have a read at the thread and if you have any questions, post again

Re the OFT, I think they were pushed this way by the OFT who were horrified at the time at M&S handing cards out like confetti and made them put up the telephone line so that card holders who didnt want the new card could opt out (a friend in the trade told me that when other lenders heard that M&S were doing this they were, in his words "****ing gobsmacked"). This, though, doesnt make what they did legally enforceable in terms of the Consumer Credit Act.

Re your information, send them a Subject Access Request (Data Protection Act) along with a cheque for £10 and they will have to send you this within 40 days. If they still refuse (eg no sig) tell them you will report them to the COmpliance Officer and may take court action. They HAVE to do this. You can adapt the template letter here http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/110--data-protection-act-1998-subject-access-request-.

HI THERE SFU,

Thx for yr swift reply to my previous post. i have spent all day plowing thr all yr stuff and more on top!!

yes it was originaly a m&s charge card with a £500 limit and i did not apply for the m/card nor did i sign any t&c for a m/card.

cant believe really that they are allowed to get away with this - i thought it was just me (stupidly) that it was happening to. and now after reading yrs and all other posts i realise (and feel slightly better).

i have already sent a SAR request and they have sent me copy statements that at first glance appear to go back nov 2003. tho to understand the things is a different matter!

even tho they have sent me loads nasty letters, bills, DCA nasty letters and now all these stmts - they are saying that they are not prepared to send any more stuff until i give em my signature! as whatever else they have is too sensitive!! whoever heard of a data protection act that allows some info to be sent but not all?! im not very technical but im going to have a go at putting on the letters they have sent me - pls give me a little advice SFU and i am becoming Seriously Fed Up with all this myself! lol

many thanks. x:-x

:cheer2: Pretty Princess Charlie :cheer2:

As for no sig., remind them of what they have sent to you at your correspondence address already - including, I presume, credit cards! They are just at it. The Act is quite clear that anything that they have stored in electronic media (and this include microfiche I believe) and has your name on it, they have to fess up. Why they want a sig is quite interesting. I have never seen it myself but its argued on here that with Photoshop they might transfer it to a strangely compliant agreement. Better safe than sorry imo.

But at the end of the day, if all you signed was a chargecard application form - and in the circumstances you describe - taking you to court would be foolish beyond belief as they dont have anything that is even remotely enforceable. Just remember that in the midst of the avalanche of letters that they will send to try to get the dosh they feel is due from you. They wont go away quickly. They just wont. So remember that, on the basis of what you have told us, there isnt much they can do except huff and puff.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I've stumbled across your thread whilst dealing with M&S myself. I sent them a SAR and they've responded rather poorly, I'm afraid, with little information. What it does reveal, however, is that the account is still open and that I still have a credit facility available to me. I thought the account was closed.

What's really caught my eye is that you say that M&S sent you lots of statements that clearly came from a Microfiche. As they currently claim that they don't have any data for me, including on microfiche, I'm curious as to what more you can tell me about this. Anything (even a scan of one with information blacked out) would help. Anything that I can use with them to prove that they do have this sort of data.

• 1 month later...

Flysi, you will probably find that M&S like other banks have been busily shredding anything that is older than 6 years. If your account was active within that period then I would have thought that you would have received statements.

If they havent and you believe they have not fully complied with their obligations then send them a 7-14 day Reminder and then make a complaint to the Information Commissioner if they still refuse to comply.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D