advice needed regarding b&q shoplifting ban

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,

on december 2007 i was in b&q shopping for some small gas valve costing £5.99. Each packet had 2 valves - coloured red & blue. My foolishness i exchanged red coloured valve from another pack making mine two red (rather than one blue and one red). As soon as i paid for the pack and on the way out their security asked me to come in their office. I admitted shoplifiting and they asked me for my id; i gave my driving license. They asked me to sign their b&q banned form which says im banned from all b&q but it doesnt says for how long. Their manager didnt called police but i was told that civil recovery will contact me. After a week i got a letter from civil recovery of £80 fine which i paid straight-way.

Over these years i have been shopping on wickes, screwfix but there are something which these two shops dont sell, only b&q does. I have wrote letter to b&q headoffice last year, emailed them twice to lift my ban so that i can shop in b&q but i didnt got a single reply.

Can i do shopping in b&q store.

Also does this things listed on CRB check?

Can somebody advice me please what should i do, i will be grateful.

It will not show on CRB check, as you weren't even charged, let alone convicted of anything. It's a shame that you paid their [problem] invoice :(

As for the ban, I can't see any practical way tht they could recognise you in any other branch, and even if they did, I don't think they would do more than ask you to leave.

thanks huff&puff.

let's say if I walk in the same branch to shop n if security recognise me will I be charged?

Do they have face recognising system.

If they try and remove you, you could try explaining that they must be referring to your twin brother... "He has been a bad one from the start" you could say.

Haha, yer say it was your Doppleganger.

Wiki

• 2 weeks later...

I would boycott their shop forever personally.

There is nothing that B&Q sell that you can't get for less elsewhere, screwfix, toolstation, jewsons, build centre, etc. and they are just the well known alternatives.

In this "Big Society" Britain its better that you support local small shops anyway. You often save money (a lot sometimes) and help deprive the likes of RLP and others of revenue.

... shopping for some small gas valve ...

A lot of dangers exist for those working with gas that are not qualified to do so. See http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/about/the_gas_safe_register_scheme.aspx for more on this.

I have personally experienced the aftermath of the death of a close friend due to a gas installation fault.

There is a lot of difference between some water damage from bad plumbing and the consequences of faulty gas installation. You are unlikely to be insured if anything did happen as a result too.

I believe that B&Q should never sell such devices they know to be used for gas to someone not holding the relevant proof of competence. They sell these devices but usually with a warning. They also make matters worse, for those determined to believe they can do it themselves, by removing the instructions that would otherwise be included. I think this is somewhat pathetic. Qualified installers have an account with a trade supplier where they get these valves at better prices and/or quality.