Bit of an oooops

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Need some advice if possible please.

I bought a car privately 3 weeks ago, the guy had an MOT done on it an hour before i arrived, and pointed out 2 new tyres and brakes, said the car was in great condition etc, took it for a test drive and seemed lovely, parted with my money and began the journey home, and i heard a clanking sound, engine cut out twice on the motorway !! which was terrifying, took it to a garage last week who put it on the ramp, was told roll bars were loose, gaitors are split and leaking, exhaust is blowing and catalytic converter is shot, also told me it should not have passed an MOT with the gaitors and exhaust, i have paid £200 today for service, spark plugs, fan belt and going back for exhaust, my question is, is there anything i can do regarding the seller or the garage who passed the car

Thank you in advance

The first thing to establish is whether this was a genuine 'private' sale or not. So, I am asuming you now have the V5c in your name. Is the previous registered keeper the same name and address as the person you bought the car from?

Next, is the garage you took the car to. Are they a VOSA MoT testing station? If so, then their opinion is valid and you should contact VOSA immediaetly regarding what is clearly a dodgy MoT.

Lastly. Have you contacted the seller at all? If so what has been their repsonse?What did you pay for the car and do you have the original advert from which you responded?

Hi and thanks for the replies,

I haven`t contacted the seller as yet,and yes i still have the advert, and the document was listed for the same address plus he was a big bloke and i`m tiny :(

Also checked the website and the mot is showing on there so i know it was definatley done.

I have the v5 document which states 4 previous owners, when his advert said 2 previous lady owners , the garage i took it to is an mot garage which i have used for years, my predicament is if i phone vosa i will have to pay again for an mot, i don`t want to sell the car as i wouldn`t want anyone else to go through this.

I knocked the guy down from £1000 to £900, which i know isn`t a lot to pay for a car.

Thanks

Edited by littlecat

Your actaion by complaining to VOSA will only result in a retest and a possible fail - as for enforcement action, only if it it obvious that there has been a genuine oversight by the tester will it be brought to his attention. Otherwise they siomply note it on the Tester's record in case a patter is emerging. As you probably know, and MoT no guarantee of reliability, even if done correctly!