• Tweets

• They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Main BMW Dealer failed to diagnose engine fault under warranty

jd2000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Today I just found out that the cost of a part to fix my 56 plate BMW 320SI will cost £3000. I would like to know where I stand from a legal poiny of view wether I am liable to pay for this. A bit of history:

1) I bought the car directly from a BMW dealership last year in July 2009 - they always owned the car from new, it was a demo car. The extended warranty ran out last month July 2010.

2) I reported an engine fault on the 17 Aug 2009 (the engine light came on), this was about three weeks after I bought the car in July 2009. Eventually they took the car in and said they found no faults and reset the computer to make the engine light disappear. (I nave an email to the dealership informing of the engine fault)

3) On the 4 Sept 2009 again I reported slugish behaviour and the exact same symptoms that they reported today ( i have an email informing the dealership of the exact symptoms). I took the car in again and they said they found nothing wrong.

4) The symptoms in point 2 continued and i kept mentioning it to them about the symptoms, although I have no record to prove this in this occasion.

5) I took the car in more recently to have the break oil changed, and mentioned the symptoms again and they said found nothing wrong.

I believe they should have identified the problem when I took the car in twice for the same symptoms, when the car was under BMW extended warranty.

Current situation is as follow:

The dealership said that they got in touch with BMW yesterday to see if BMW can part-fund the part, but I believe I shouldnt have to pay a penny as the dealership should have identified the problem when it was under warranty, and they had two opportunities to pin point the problem.

My questions are:

1) what should I do? If they say I have to pay for the full price of the labour and parts, or pay for whatever is left, should I pay for it and try to claim later through courts for costs and damages? How successfull will I be?

2) This part is part of the engine, and since its an SI model, its more powerfull than a standard 320i - can i claim that since this model is not standard, it has not been build to withstand the extra power? Apparently, according to the service guy, this same part for a standard 320i model would cost around £50, but for the 320SI its made of carbon fibre so it costs £3000.

3) The engine light came on almost 3weeks after I bought the car - can I claim that they sold me a faulty car?

Just wondering what my options are. At the moment I am waiting for the dealership to find out if BMW will part-fund the part. I will post more news.

Thank very much for your help.

Jitesh

Hi and welcome to CAG.

As I see this providing that you can prove that the fault is on-going and existed within the period of the manufacturer's warranty then indeed you should not have to pay. In addiotion to that, if the fault originated within the first 6 months of ownership (in respect of used cars), it is assumed present at the point of purchase under the SOGA. However, you would have to show that the fault had not been rectified and is subsiquently is the same fault. So potentially your question (3) could well be yes.

Lets us see how the dealer responds but remember that your claim would be against them (as the seller) and not the manufatcturer.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for you speedy reply :)

This is the email I sent after the car had been in the garage for the engine light, which they did nothing about:

A few things I forgot to mention about the car:

1. There is something wrong with the ignition. Sometimes I have to press the start button twice because the engine dies at first attempt. Things happens a lot more in the mornings. I wouldn't expect this to happen especially with button starts.

2. There seems to be a lot of vibration comming from the engine since the engine warning light came on

3. Don't forget the rear, driver side, door lock needs to be changed.

4. The power seems to be reduced and gear change seems to be very jerky and uncomfortable. Maybe the gear box oil? I'll leave that to the experts.

Points 1,2 and 4 in the email quote are the exact same symptoms I quoted when I informed them of the engine light. These symptoms have also been diagnosed today by the service center. Dont know how else I can prove it? Lets wait for the Dealer to come back.

Thanks

Jitesh

JD,

Can you post what the faulty parts they want/need to replace are as I have a bit of a problem with the price difference. For info and bear this in mind, the Si version is usually just a trim varient as opposed to the i and any power difference is usually governed by the calibration in the engine ECU. The base engine and parts are usually the same. Unless of course we are talking an Alpina varient? If it's not an Alpina, which is also meant to be serviceable by BMW dealers, then you have a standard BMW.

Both Alpinas and standard BMW's are covered by the used/extended warranty which incidently is pretty damm good compared to most we see posted on this forum so you need to be a bit carefull in the way you structure your complaint. On the balance of probabilities and being rather well qualified with BMW's and their processes I'm not so sure it's the original fault you complained of. Can you give an indication of whereabouts you are in the UK?

BMW's brought with full histories with them I notice, do tend to do quite well with goodwill claims.

Hi Helios

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I dont know what the part is - I will find out tomorrow and post it here. Its not an Alpina variant, but a 320Si. I agree, I am not putting down BMW for their level of cover, their extented warranty is excellent, arguably the best around.

How do you think I should structure the complaint? I have never been in this kind of situation before, so I would be very grateful for some guidance. I am based in South London, and the car was bought brand new by the dealership and it was their main showroom car and used for passenger drop off's etc. I bought it from the dealership last July with an extended warranty, so it has full BMW history.

Going back to the original engine fault alarm back last August, the service centre only had it for a day, couldnt find any problems, reset the computer to switch off the engine fault light and took it for a test drive, signed it off straight away. I took in for a second time in September complaining of sluguish symptoms again. Again it was in the service centre for less than a day, was taken for a test drive and nothing came back and was signed off. I am a bit surprised that nothing was picked up both times when they knew of the symptoms I complained- I sense a bit of neglection on their part that they could have done more at the time. At the end of the day I have to take their word for it, but now it has came back to nite me and I have no proof!

Lets hope BMW covers for the part, but I doubt it. If the dealership decides that I should pay for the repair, what should I do? Should I give them a letter and give them the opportunity to rapair the car within 7/14 days? If they refuse to repair the car, should I pay for it and then claim costs through court? I need the car! What are my chances of winning this in the courts?

Thanks for your help.

This is such a pain! :(

Hi Helios

Just spoke to the service desk. The part they are talking about is the Rocker Cover aka Cam Cover, which needs to be replaced. According to the service desk there is a hole in the Rocker Cover which is allowing two much air to go in - I dont know if it makes sense to you, I know nothing about cars :confused:

Thanks for your help.

Jitesh

Hi JD,

Wonder if it's the BMW dealer at Vauxhall? I think someone there or whichever dealer is telling a few porkies. As Darzen says how the hell did it get a hole in it and even then why did it take so long to find it. Next thing is that you won't get any help from BMW or even the warranty co for a fault like this unless it's porous.

Personally I'd have a little trip up the A12 to a place where it can be sorted out once and for all and where you will get all the advice you need if they feel it's worth pursuing with BMW. As it's improper to put the orgnisations name here I will pm you with who to contact. I worked with this guy for a few years with BMW and is someone I rate as being amongst the top guys for BMW in the country.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
hi folks, i need help, my 320si is stuck in the garage.

Cylinder 2 is cracked.

ive been told to get a new engine, or repair this one.

need some help asap

Cannot possibly advise you on this sparse information. You need to start a new thread and tell us the full circumstances; date of purchase, price, age, mileage, purchased from a dealer or private etc.