Princederby

Drink driving query...ban was up, need a medical....

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3627 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hello,

I am a little confused..

I am categorised as a high risk offender after a high breathaliser test after being found drink driving... this was christmas day 2007. my band was 24 months and £615 fine...

now i completed the drink drive course so my ban was affectivley up june 2009. however i was working in crete this summer and did not want to do a medical arriving back from Malia in sept 09 as i was drinking daily..

when i returned i did not bother applying for my license, went back to crete april and returned july. i have now sent off using a D1 form and sending the required £90 cheque, today i recieved my passport back from the DVLA with a note saying i will recieve my license within 10 days....

this is where i am confused as i have not done my medical, i was led to believe that applying for the license would set the medical application in motion. so now i am bemused at the thought that i may recieve my license within 10 days

does anyone have a clue about this? would i recieve it back without a medical? how do i organise it if not?

thanks in advance.

Won't it be a Provisional...?

Why would it be a provisional buzby unless he was covered by the New Drivers Act?

That's why it was a question. I very much doubt they would issue a full licence without the required medical clearance.

I very much doubt they would issue a full licence without the required medical clearance.

This is the DVLA we are talking about buzby. They stuggle to work out what day of the week it is don't they, so screwing up on issuing a licence with/without a medical seems to be well within their (lack of) capabilities don't you agree? :-D

Silly me, Crem - of course - anything is possible! :)

Me too!

I was banned for 24 months (18 after DD course) and I am classified as a HRO. I sent of my D1 application at the end of July and low and behold I recieved my driving license back in the post 10 days later. Its valid from the 23rd September, when my ban is up. It a full driving license (my old one) so I am looking forward to driving again and putting the whole nightmare affair to bed once and for all. Guess we have just been lucky, can only imagine either the DVLA just dont have the capacity to analyse the test results for everyone, it wasn't specified as conditions at the court (sometimes they can make you redo your test etc), they contacted our Doctor who confirmed we do not have a dependancy on alcohol or we just slipt through the net so to speak. No idea really.

Either way you have your license back (almost) so move on and lets not make the same stupid mistake again!

But will you be able to afford the insurance....? Has anyone quoted?

I dont see the relevancy of your comment with regards the orgional forum post, nor that its any of your business if can or cant afford the insurance.

Extremely relevant. It;s all very well stating that you plan to 'put it all behind you', but your insurer will have no intention of doing this. Also, failure to disclose invalidates the insurance. Further, a good winkle (you're probably not aware of) is that a number of companies will ask you how long you have held a UK driving licence. If it was cancelled for DD, the clock restarts with your new licence. Again, forgetting to mention this (to find out), can also result in the insurance being cancelled.

As a Driving Licence is pretty useless without cover, I'm sure others will be interested in whether insurers are taking a responsible approach to drivers returning to the road, or whether they're our to wring them dry. As a comment it is pretty relevant - and the cost of the insurance is perhaps the most relevant part of getting your insurance restored, unless you plan not to bother?

• Haha 1

I dont see the relevancy of your comment with regards the orgional forum post, nor that its any of your business if can or cant afford the insurance.

Ooooohhhh touchy!

Buzby was only drawing attention to the fact that even though you have your licence back your insurance is going to be very expensive as you will have to declare your conviction.

In my opinion nobody should get a shorter ban for going on a course, there should be longer bans for drink/drug drivers

They're a bloody menace!:x

I QUESTION THEREFORE I AM!! [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p

I have been smoke-free for 4yrs

Extremely relevant. It;s all very well stating that you plan to 'put it all behind you', but your insurer will have no intention of doing this. Also, failure to disclose invalidates the insurance. Further, a good winkle (you're probably not aware of) is that a number of companies will ask you how long you have held a UK driving licence. If it was cancelled for DD, the clock restarts with your new licence. Again, forgetting to mention this (to find out), can also result in the insurance being cancelled.

As a Driving Licence is pretty useless without cover, I'm sure others will be interested in whether insurers are taking a responsible approach to drivers returning to the road, or whether they're our to wring them dry. As a comment it is pretty relevant - and the cost of the insurance is perhaps the most relevant part of getting your insurance restored, unless you plan not to bother?

The orgional post states

Re: Drink driving query...ban was up, need a medical....

So in the respect your post is completely irrelevant. I am fully aware of the process of getting car insurance, and the implications of not being honest and declaring all the information correctly.

Weather I can afford the insurance or not has nothing to do with you but rather is a personal financial matter. Of course I plan to bother!

If you think anyone actually cares whether you can afford your insurance, you're wrong. However, what has that to do with the weather eludes me.....

If you think anyone actually cares whether you can afford your insurance, you're wrong. However, what has that to do with the weather eludes me.....
LMAO @ buzby :lol:

Unfortunately i'm not an expert in any given field legally and my advice and that of the Consumer Action Group and the Bank Action Group is given without prejudice and without liability so please if in any doubt whatsoever seek help from an insured qualified professional. Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions and not condoned or endorsed in any way, shape or form by CAG. Thank you! :p

buzby, as stevenjames said, your original post regarding insurance wasn't relevant.

No one had asked about insurance in the thread and you chose to bring it up as if stevenjames either hadn't considered it or was planning to drive uninsured when there was nothing to suggest anything of the sort.

Your further post simply to pick up on the gramatical error of using the word "weather" instead of "whether" IMV was not funny as callumsgran seemed to think, it was simply childish.

buzby, as stevenjames said, your original post regarding insurance wasn't relevant.

No one had asked about insurance in the thread and you chose to bring it up as if stevenjames either hadn't considered it or was planning to drive uninsured when there was nothing to suggest anything of the sort.

Your further post simply to pick up on the gramatical error of using the word "weather" instead of "whether" IMV was not funny as callumsgran seemed to think, it was simply childish.

You're welcome to your opinion crem, and always give it as i do!

If you dont like it, dont look! Simples!!!