Cancelled bank card, yet money taken??!!

charlottecanter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4173 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I am new to this site and so not really sure if I am posting this is the correct place. However, I am very stressed and worried right now, so any help/advice would be muchly appreciated.

To cut a long story short, I lost my bank debit card about 3 weeks ago and called Halifax to cancel it... which they did.

I didn't order a new one as I'd had to change my salary etc over to a new account anyway, so figured I might as well just stop using the Halifax account altogether.

I made sure that I changed everything over and so I had no incomings or outgoings to the account. I also made sure that the balance was at £0.00 and had planned to go into the branch to close down the account when I next had chance to do so.

However, last week I decided to check my online banking and was horrified to see that I was/am nearly £300 overdrawn... on an account that has NO overdraft facility!

I contacted Halifax straight away and was told that a company, who I currently have an ongoing debt with, had taken the money on the 16th August, at 3.15am..... from the card which had been cancelled.

I asked Halifax how this could happen but have never actually got a straight answer... just confusion.

I contacted the company who actually took the money and they advised me that, due to me missing ONE payment (an error on my part when I changed banks over) then they were entitled to take the full amount.

Whilst I am obvioulsy angry that they have done this, my main issue is now with Halifax as I want to understand why and how they could let this happen.

I have no overdraft on the account so why on earth would they authorise a payment for nearly £300, leaving me overdrawn... and now occouring charges!??

I also don't understand that when I reported my card as lost/stolen, they have since allowed this payment to be taken from it..... more than THREE weeks later.

I am getting nowhere with the bank who are just telling me to contact the company who took it. They are obviously standing their ground and saying that they have only took what I owe them.

I am now serioulsy out of pocket and am very, very, stressed and worried about my current financial situation.

Halifax basically don't give a damn and, to make matters worse, someone from their collections dept' has just contacted me asking me to pay back the £300 I am now overdrawn.

Anyone who can offer some help or advice would be greatly apreciated.

Many thanks,

Charlotte.