Can Barclaycard rifle my Barclays current account?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

First of all, many thanks on a very useful and instructive forum!

I'll try and make this brief, I'm in Australia and have been for two years now. I have a Barclaycard debt of 5500pound which i've been working hard to pay off - until febuary this year when I ran into financial trouble and couldn't pay any off until 100pound last week.

My property in the UK is now finally sold and the money (around 8 grand - some of this will be used to clear an overdraft) will be going into my UK barclays current account in the next few days. Will barclaycard be able to help themselves to it before I have a chance to call them and arrange repayment terms?

Can Barclaycard help themselves to this money? I had a letter from RMA requesting full payment blah blah blah within 7 days, so I'm assuming if it's been passed on then I can see how much I've got left then offer them a fixed sum...

I know they're perfectly within their legal right to do this, I'm just wondering if they would or not.

Should I call my branch of Barclays that the current account is with and explain this to them? Or am I merely worrying unnecessarily?

My plan is to close my UK accounts anyway once the overdraft is cleared.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tom.

If Barclays have sold the debt to a DCA, then it is off their books and they would not dip into your current account to cover the debt. However, if the debt has NOT been sold, the certainly can (and likely will) help themselves to the money. This happened to me recently with HSBC ... I was traveling on business, and forgot to pay my HSBC credit card - so they took the liberty of paying it for me, by taking money out of my current account to cover the minimum payment. This was not particularly problematic for me, but it highlighted their willingness and ability to do it.

But in my experience, after a bank has sold the debt to a DCA, they're no longer interested.

Couldn't you arrange for payment to be made to you by cheque or into another account?

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT