Debit Relief Order ? Or Bankrupcy? Or do I just sit tight ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm new, this place was recommended to me by a friend. Anyway I need advice and here's my story....

I got into debt a long time ago, but until around October 2004 I was paying it all, though it was a struggle. Even when it got too much to cope with I went with a debt management company for a few years. In 2004 I went abroad to work and the relief was enormous, I was never planning on coming back to be honest, however circumstances arranged it so I came back last year. since then I have been waiting to be found, although I knew at some point this was something I had to tackle. Until now however I have not had a job and did not want to be hounded again (this has happened previously and made me ill)

Today I had a letter asking me to contact a no- which I did, of course it was a debt collection agency, it was funny cos at the time I was on my way to see the CAB, to see how I could go about the debt business. To be honest they weren't very helpful, I saw someone who was training and had to pop out of the room every two minutes to ask his boss questions. Not his fault, but I do have an another appointment in a few weeks. He didn't seem to be listening to what I had to say, I had to state four times I wanted to know how to go bankrupt, however he was clearly pushing this debt relief order. After I left I went to the court where I picked up the forms for bankruptcy, but they said they didnt deal with that and I had to go through the CAB.

A payment plan was also mentioned,, but to be honest, I live alone, and I am only on a temporary contract, if I lose my job (which I could next month then I will be stuffed again) I earn a low wage and have to have tax credits to make my wage up. Not only that but I am pretty ill at the moment. I know I have at least one ccj against me, probably more. However it's been so long I don't even know how much I owe anymore, or how to find out - though I have no doubt now I have been found other companies will be in touch like yesterday!

I need advice please, what do I do, what should I do, does the fact it's nearly six years count in my favour? Has the interest been frozen, and how do I deal with debt recovery agencies - as I would be very supprised if the original creditor is still involved, though the company today said they were.

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

Edited by shellwin

For CCJ's you can check online yourself for I believe £8;

http://www.trustonline.org.uk/search-yourself/

If you don't work, and survive of benefits, the nthe only payment you need ever make to these DCA's is the minimum token payment of £1 a month, there is zero they can do to force you to pay more.

What are the alleged debts? Are they bank loans, credit cards, overdrafts?

If you can give a little more info as to what the alleged debt is then more help will follow..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If there has been a period of six years since the last payment made on the alleged debt then the debt is STATUTE BARRED.

Most of your debts from the sound of it are nigh on, so if anyone tries to enforce it via the court they will have to explain why they didn't make contact in the past five years and a judge may very well deem the alleged debt unenforceable due to the length of time they have taken to contact you.

If I were you I would ignore the debt collecting agencies and ignore the advice of the CAB, it isnt always accurate and doesn't reflect individual circumstances.

Keep us posted as to who is chasing and we will advise.

If you get odd phone calls tell the person in writing only and all calls are being recorded (even if they aren't). If you speak another language answer the phone in that... I use Japanese for unknown callers... confuses the hell out of them.