UK Credit Card Debt in Republic of Ireland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4576 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I currently owe the following credit card debt to UK credit card companies:

MBNA - £8200 - account opened approx 1998

Co-Op - £8000 - account opened 2001 (with Northern Rock who passed over to Co-Op later.

At present there are no arrears on either account, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to meet minimum re-payments and ideally want to make an arrangement to pay below the minimum monthly repayment with them. I also want to be well aware of the implications of doing so and anything that may help me when dealing with the banks.

Could either company add details onto my Irish Credit rating?

Would it be recommended that I obtain a SAR's for the accounts prior to requesting the payment arrangement to verify how enforceable the CCA's are?

Thanks for any guidance

Could either company add details onto my Irish Credit rating?
No.
Would it be recommended that I obtain a SAR's for the accounts prior to requesting the payment arrangement to verify how enforceable the CCA's are?
It depends on whether you have paid PPI or any unfair charges.... you would be able to reclaim those. Otherwise just send a CCA request which will only cost £1 instead of £10. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

As an update, I sent both CCA requests registered post and am aware that they were received on the 9th and 10th September. To date I have received no response. As I understand it the normal process is that I should receive a reply within 12 days. Whilst I know that this time frame is expired, I know that in my instance I am reliant on the international post.

Based on normal delivery schedule of 5 days for mail from the UK I would say that once I reach the 30th I should be okay to send follow up correspondence. Has anyone else had similar experience?

Thanks for any advice

• 1 year later...

Good Afternoon

I've had the same problem and your issue is quite simple to resolve.

1. Stop paying if you look like you can afford to pay the card companies won't offer any kind of settlement.

2. Don't get into the I want to dispute your legal authority to enforce this debt and request a CCA etc. It takes an age and anyway you probably took out the card properly and your now trying to weasle out of paying. Accept the truth you can't afford to pay.

3. Wait about 7 months (without paying)

4. Keep a good storyline for when they ring (it will be often) e.g. "that you can't afford to pay an your monthly outgoings exceed your income".

5. When you look like a lost case tell them that your sibling has offered to assist you in paying off your debt, but he's an unreasonable so and so and he's only prepared to offer 35% and that it. (Your broke so can't put a shilling to the amount). Wait and dont fill in the silence with conversation, they might say they can't accept that but keep the story its your siblings offer and thats it. Even let them ring you back, keep the story the same. They'll offer to settle.

6. Get the offer in writing as a "full and final settlement" and pay up and wave goodbye. Your credit record will be shot in the UK for 6 years but so what

hope this helps