ChrisBC

Small claims advice please?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3640 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello, I was wondering if someone may be able to help me? I have started a 'small claims' action, there are 2 defendants but only 1 has responded (ie. intends to defend the action), the 14 days are up tomorrow. Can I request a judgment against the 1 that hasnt responded (this is the main defendant)

Any advice would be really welcome because I cant find the answer to this on the MCOL site.

Thanks

Chris

:confused:

Guest Jason King

As one has replied to defend then I 'd just proceed to a hearing anyway. The judge will be aware only one defence has been filed and you could ask the judge for his directions concerning the absent defendant.

I personally wouldn't apply for judgment for the one because they will only no doubt apply for a set aside in the future and everything goes back to the beginning.

A default judgment is quite useless, it can almost always be set aside for seemingly any excuse.