information on whether my debts are now statute barred!

garyleeds
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I currently owe around £20,000 to a number of different companies for loans/credit card/bank overdrafts from several years back. I have recently obtained a copy of my credit report from Experian and it seems i defaulted on most of these debts around february 2004, i am now thinking that give a few months when i may have still been negotiating with the companies regarding repaying the debt, It will be very close to 6yrs since i last acknowledged/communicated with the companies regarding the debts.

In these six years i have not lived at the address where the finance was taken out, though it is still my parents house, and i have been offered a social housing property in the same city that i would really like to settle, including registering for council tax/ to vote etc. I am wary of doing this unless it is not quite six years and being discovered now would mean me being liable for the debt which id like to avoid!

I have been considering sending letters to my debtors to enquire as to whether the debts are now statute barred for recovery, though i obviously dont want to use my new address, and i would also like to throw any DRAs off the scent by doing this using an address in a different city but do not know if this is possible!

also i was wondering whether i send the letters to the original companies that i took loans out with (Egg, Natwest, Alliance and leicester), or whether i send them to the companies that my credit file sugggests i now owe the money to (Cabot, Lovell, etc)

any advice on the above would be much appreciated! i have learnt my lessons from the past but would dearly love some sort of fresh start now!!

Gary

dont send anything to anyone.

its up to them to PROVE the debt is not SB'ed

not you to prove it IS

BTW: the only form of communication which 'could' reset the clock would be a letter SPECIFICALLY stating i ack this debt and signed by you to the fact.

ignore them all

get on with your life

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the advice folks, what would be your advice regarding registering myself at my new property? i have obviously had to give the gas/electric companies my details for them to turn the supply on, and have refused to give them an old address, just said that i have lived abroad for several years, i wouldnt mind getting the phone turned on either!!

do you think i will be ok as long as i do not make any mention of my previous address, and possibly 'forget' to give them my middle name!!

To be honest you sound as dodgy as a nine pound note to me as what you are doing is tantamount to theft.

Some people are in gennuine need and make mistakes, others just want to get out of paying debts back...

with all due respect Ganymede you dont know me from adam do you! In all fairness i think i was certainly naive to run up £20,000 of debt by the time i was 21, but the finance companies must take some portion of the blame in allowing me to do so considering i was an apprentice earning £130 per week. Whilst it is no business of yours at the end of my apprenticeship i worked in Finland/Belgium for 5 years and have now come back and yes, perhaps it is dodgy of me but i would prefer not to pay these debts.

So i do think i made genuine mistakes in running up this debt, and am now a student and honestly couldnt afford to repay the debts, what business this is of yours im unsure of? i asked for advice not criticism, no doubt you have never done anything that is morally questionable in your time on this earth. Idiot

with all due respect Ganymede you dont know me from adam do you! In all fairness i think i was certainly naive to run up £20,000 of debt by the time i was 21, but the finance companies must take some portion of the blame in allowing me to do so considering i was an apprentice earning £130 per week. Whilst it is no business of yours at the end of my apprenticeship i worked in Finland/Belgium for 5 years and have now come back and yes, perhaps it is dodgy of me but i would prefer not to pay these debts.

So i do think i made genuine mistakes in running up this debt, and am now a student and honestly couldnt afford to repay the debts, what business this is of yours im unsure of? i asked for advice not criticism, no doubt you have never done anything that is morally questionable in your time on this earth. Idiot

I have debts but I pay them thanks.

To be honest you sound as dodgy as a nine pound note to me as what you are doing is tantamount to theft.

Some people are in gennuine need and make mistakes, others just want to get out of paying debts back...

there is no need whatsoever to be rude to someone asking advise..ignore it gary xxx

if the law says someone doesn't have to pay for whatever reason, then thats that. AFAIK debt 'avoidance' itself is not illegal!, just like tax 'avoidance'! :) (unlike exceeding the speed limit which is a criminal offence! :) were you hoping to avoid culpability? if the law said you didn't have to pay a speeding fine, would you still pay it?)

Edited by Ford
typo