Airline overbooking and prioritising passengers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Before I contact the airline, I would like to check something.

I was booked to fly on a not busy route on a small aircraft. When I arrived at check-in, more than 2 hours before the flight, I was told I could not be checked in. There were still seats remaining on the flight at that time, but since it was overbooked I was told that I, having paid a discount price, would have to wait until check-.in officially closed then return to see if there were still seats available.

Are they allowed to do this? To turn away a passenger with a valid ticket and booking, who turns up on time, in order to allow other passengers the chance to get there first?

As it turned out, I spoke to customer services to ask why this had happened, and after a phone call to the check in desk (in a language I couldn't understand) i was allowed to check in and all ended well. However it makes me feel far less confident about booking again in case the same happens. had I waited as I was told to do rather than going directly to customer services, I may well have missed out on the flight.

If anyone knows what EU (rather than UK) law says on this, I'd be grateful for the info.

It also occurs to me that if I'd waited, as told, until check-in closed before going back to check, I'd have had no proof that I'd actualy tried to check-in earlier, and the airline might have been able to claim that I'd actually arrived too late.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

That's completely ridiculous! Truth be told, I've never come across anything like this, so wouldn't know where to start.

I'd certainly agree that it looks like an attempt on the part of the airline to force you into being the party in the wrong. I'm not sure what legal routes are open to you, though I do hope you made an official complaint to their head office!

Keep us updated, though!

Well, the plus is I now know my rights in terms of overbooking and what I would be entitled to should I ever be bumped in the future.

I haven't yet contacted them but will write this week, simply stating facts and poiting out that I probably won't feel confident enough to book with them in the future and certainly wouldn't feel confident enough to recommend them.

It's a pity, this was a direct flight and the only company that offers it. Any other option involves messy changes, either by plane or train, or a long drive. This direct flight would make weekend breaks possible, but not if there's risk they'll refuse to fly you back on Sunday.

Having thought about it further, I wondered if was because as a lone traveller I'd be cheaper to conpensate (and easier to rebook) than a couple or a group. I don't know how the rules work though, and whether groups can be separated in cases of overbooking.

Thanks.

In my particular case, the query is whether or not they can deny check-in to one passenger to give others the time to check-in first.

The only bit of the regulation that seems to apply to that is this:

Denied boarding

1. When an operating air carrier reasonably expects to deny boarding on a flight, it shall first call for volunteers to surrender their reservations in exchange for benefits under conditions to be agreed between the passenger concerned and the operating air carrier. Volunteers shall be assisted in accordance with Article 8, such assistance being additional to the benefits mentioned in this paragraph.

2. If an insufficient number of volunteers comes forward to allow the remaining passengers with reservations to board the flight, the operating air carrier may then deny boarding to passengers against their will.

3. If boarding is denied to passengers against their will, the operating air carrier shall immediately compensate them in accordance with Article 7 and assist them in accordance with Articles 8 and 9.

Am I reading that correctly? If so, I will highlight that when I write to them.

No they cannot deny check in to 1 passenger without following the regulation. If they do not follow it, then point 3 comes into play.

Whilst it is your choice whether to write to the airline or not, you weren't actually denied boarding so don't expect much in the way of a response.

• 2 months later...