tildephi

Landlord Wants Deposit for Make-Over!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3636 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there,

I could really do with some help/advice here.

I rented a ground floor furnished flat for 2 years and moved out towards the end of June. I had paid a £700 deposit which had been put in the Deposit Protection Scheme. The flat was left clean and tidy when I returned the keys. However, when I contacted the letting agents about my deposit they said there were "some problems" with the flat which were

A stain on the sofa

A ring mark on one of the dining chair

Stain(s) on the living room carpet

A scuffmark on the living room wall

They said the landlord was getting quotes for the work and they would be in touch with me. After two weeks I received a letter from the letting agents saying

the landlord had had the sofa cleaned - cost £135

the four dining chairs have been cleaned - cost £2.50 each

the carpets are so badly stained they have to be replaced - quoted cost £600

the scuffmark requires redecoration - quoted cost £240

To be honest, I couldn't believe what I was reading, the costs are ridiculous for the "defects" they are complaining about.

The main question is what to do now? As I understand it, the Deposit Protection Scheme has a dispute resolution service, should I use that or should I go to a solicitor?

A few things to note.

The inventory from the letting agents which I received when I moved in states that there are "slight markings" on the living room carpet. Also the photograph they supplied with the inventory clearly shows dark areas on the carpet that were present before I moved in. The carpet is pale beige and was certainly not new, maybe 5 years old.

The living room was not freshly painted prior to me moving in. Again I would estimate that it had not been decorated for a few years.

The letting agents are singularly unhelpful (to me), presumably because they act on behalf of the landlord, so I'm not particularly keen to talk to them.

Thanks in advance!

Go via DPS in the first instance.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!