INTERESTING TREND - DCAs sending Google Street View of your Home!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There have been several posts recently about receipt of a copy of a Google Street View of your home being used with demands for money.

Now I know Google Street View is in the public domain and as such viewable by anyone, but, it would be interesting to know if Google have placed any restrictions on the use of this information.

Personally, I can see no reason why this activity of enclosing this picture to an alleged debtor could serve any purpose other than as a threat. They prove the already know where you live because of your address, so can it safely be construed that this enclosure is an attempt targeted, perhaps, to those people who do not know about Google Street View, and therefore are being lead to believe they are or have been 'watched' perhaps even 'stalked'.

This surely is a very thinly disguised threat in real terms. I am going to search out some information from Google, and it may be a good move from anyone who has received this type of 'threat' to report it not only to OFT and TS but also to Google.

• Confused 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It cannot be a companies policy to send prints from Google street view, so I can only presume that some of the kids that work for these companies, are doing this without permission.

I wonder whether the Police would also be interested in this. It could be perceived as a threat to cause harm as well as unlawful harassment. This could be particularly the case for the elderly and those that are vulnerable including those with mental illnesses.

Any person from a DCA found doing this, could be open to prosecution, as well as losing their jobs.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

This is a favourite of HFO, they think they are above the law but I think somewhere in the privacy laws within Google there is a bit about not using Streetview for commercial gain without a licence.... perhaps we need to alert Google itself to this alarming trend.

Guest Cartaphilus

I'd say that was blatant harassment, it's like sending someone a picture of a family member with a 'demand of menaces' for money. When, oh when, in this country is something going to be done about these ridiculous and absoutely outrageous methods used.

Any person from a

DCA
link3.gif
found doing this, could be open to prosecution, as well as losing their jobs.

Good, I hope such laws are passed, along with their extremely nasty threats made down the phone to people including threats of prison, threats of children being taken into care ... Well, these people are not human it seems so what can one expect!

Photographic Imagery

The photographic imagery made available for display through Google Maps is provided under a nonexclusive, non-transferable license for use only by you. You may not use the imagery in any commercial or business environment or for any commercial or business purposes for yourself or any third parties.

You may not copy, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, translate, modify or make derivative works of the imagery, in whole or in part. You also may not rent, disclose, publish, sell, assign, lease, sublicense, market, or transfer the imagery or any part thereof or use it in any manner not expressly authorized by this agreement.

By using Google Maps, you do not receive any, and Google and/or its licensors (if any) retain all ownership rights in the imagery. The imagery is copyrighted and may not be copied, even if modified or merged with other data or software.

This is in Googles terms & Conditions......

Guest Cartaphilus

Wonder what would happen if I tried to put a webcam in my windowsill, I imagine I'd soon have some kind of complaints made. ;)

Report them to google, I don't think they would look too kindly on a tinpot DCA using their material to threaten people.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

All the more reason for everyone to check out Google Streetview and if their home is on it you should contact Google and tell them to remove it. You don't need a reason and then check they have done so. I objected to their image of my houseappearing on it, they removed it not only from the web but also the cache so there is no trace of it. If a dca tries that trick with me they'll get a big black print.

All the more reason for everyone to check out Google Streetview and if their home is on it you should contact Google and tell them to remove it.
Thankfully I live in a Garden Village type of area where their cars couldn't access. The frontages are terraced squares with communal green with no vehicular access. Although there is the aerial image the pictures must have been taken on an overcast day because it shows diddly squat really.

Out of interest - HFO sent me an 'HFO Services - Baliff Information Sheet' with my name and address on it but the photo of the house is nothing like my flat and there are no properties in my postcode area like this. I cannot identify where it is and it does not look like it came from Google but could have. I therefore don't have enough evidence to complain to Google. The account number on this sheet is different to the one on the letter they sent, so it could be the house of another one of their 'victims'. Please let me know if anyone gets a photo of a council flat (well, the tree in front of it) instead of a victorian terrace.

I suspect HFO seem to be doing this to a lot of people and only a few are in touch with CAG. In my case and others, you also get a Credit Reference Report. This appears to be 'proof' that you owe them money (even though they have put the relevant entry there themselves) and is supposed to replace a properly executed credit agreement. It is worth complaining to the CRA, who will initially say that the DCA can access your file but keep on at them as the 'permission' to access your data depends on the said original credit agreement (which the DCA do not have, hence the credit report). I am still trying to get the CRAs Terms and Conditions relating to DCAs use of our data but they don't seem keen to send these out.

In all cases, this abuse of data should be reported to OFT, Consumer Direct and ICO

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

Send them a nice letter back with a picture of their office from streetview.

Pookey

I would send them a street view of the nearest HM Prison as their "future residence".

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

This bit is crucial to your complaint to Google, clear breach of this

You may not use the imagery in any commercial or business environment or for any commercial or business purposes for yourself or any third parties.

They are using the imagery in commercial and business environments for commercial and business purposes for themselves and third parties (passing pics onto bailiffs/field collectors)

They have shot themselves in the goolies.....

Im sure there must be someone on here willing to sit in a car outside of any of the DCA's taking pictures of each employee and post accordingly on a rogues gallery on the interweb... this is not illegal at all I believe. Im sure they will feel happy in the knowledge that everyone knows they work for a company that in some cases have harrased people to suicide

Guest Cartaphilus
I would send them a street view of the nearest HM Prison as their "future residence".
Too, right. Shame it isn't happening already given all the evidence to the nasty nature of 'tricks' that are done to people in debt ... Do it to me, they'll be in for one NASTY shock themselves, however! Good! Edited by Cartaphilus

I've noticed an increasing trend for the directors of debt collecting firms to use their office addresses as their contact in documents filed at Companies House. perhaps they have had the experience of their doorsteps being vsited by their custmers wishing to make a deposit.

I've noticed an increasing trend for the directors of debt collecting firms to use their office addresses as their contact in documents filed at Companies House. perhaps they have had the experience of their doorsteps being vsited by their custmers wishing to make a deposit.

No, the Companies Act 2006 made this much easier for them to do. However, if you click on the Company Information button you can pick up copies of previously submitted Annual Returns which will contain the information although it could well be out of date.