• Tweets

• HB, is the Kent/France issue related to current arrangement with French border officers in Kent and UK border officers in France ?   Not sure whether this  arrangement will change from 1/1/21, if there is no deal.   Given previous actions by French farmers and industrial action by others, then with UK out of the EU, I can see problems ahead. Could there be blockades at French ports, with UK unable to exert much pressure through EU ?      
    • Very good, UB.   I'm not clear on the status of Kent now. People are talking about it being part of France, etc, but how is tht when the 'border' only applies to lorries?
    • Campaign starts ? Independence for Kent, so it becomes a separate customs area and can charge a tariff on goods transported through its territory.  With the money raised, citizens of Kent might then have little or no income taxes to pay.   I could see this campaign being started and it could grow in popularity.   Would be funny if Brexit led to break up of UK and break away by some English counties. 
    • SERCO seem to be a default company that Government use to perform contact centre type tasks. So any department faced with a problem, say a sudden increase in incoming phone calls, which they cannot handle, because they are dealing with more immediate issues such as making payments to the public, may in the short term involve SERCO.   SERCO seem to employ a lot of security cleared, DBS checked, financial checked etc employees, so they seem to be equipped and ready to manage tasks on behalf of Government departments.   No idea just how much work SERCO does on behalf of Government, but I should imagine it makes up a sizeable chunk of their business.   Public Health departments may want to perform the work themselves, but given the number of employees required, the recruitment process involved, the hours of work 24/7 and just how quick they need to be set up to perform the work, I question whether they are better placed to do so.   I would always prefer public sector employees over outsourced contracts, but I can understand why Government uses companies such as SERCO. 
    • Well, we’ve found something we agree on.   you’ve described the unfairness, but haven’t said what (realistically!) you feel your options are.
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 6 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Water meter, water leak & statutory rights

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3447 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

We had a water meter fitted 27 days ago. During the install the chaps who fitted it said the pipes were very old, the job was very difficult due to the closed space and because of this keep an eye on the readings to make sure there's no leakage and if there is report it immediately.

I have done so every morning without failure noted the readings and have a detailed log.

Yesterday we were out all day and this morning when I took a reading the number was far higher than it should plus I noticed the wheel was spinning and we'd only just opened the front door.

Spoke to SWW reporting the leak and asked that the previous reading be noted because I didn't want to pay for the leak what we're not using if it turned out that the leak is at the meter - he said we could be charged as he couldn't guarantee we'd receive a leak allowance.

I've turned the water off at the stop-cock and the wheel is still turning on the meter.

Where do we stand with our rights (statutory - durability) on this if this is a fault at the site of work carried out by their workmen and the leak appears within 28 days of the installation date?

We'd love to keep the meter as this has already more than halved our bill.

• 7 months later...

Wow, 9 months later and not a single reply!

I've only just found this post again so please excuse the late update.

I wrote them a nice letter quoting the Sales of Goods Act and the Supply of Goods and Services Act and they sent someone round for a chat and to take a look. He tried to treat me like I didn't know what was going on and after more phone calls to SWW they sent the contractors round to examine the meter.

Contractors turned up, they told me they're hearing stuff like this a lot and when they dug up the meter they showed me the water and the leak - connectors on the pipe not tightened up enough. I took a photo and told SWW I took a photo of the leak.

Without an apology or letter of acknowledgement they credited us everything we had paid plus some extra.

Good result all round we think.

We're still noting the meter levels every morning in a little notepad just in case.