mat1234

cambelt change

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3329 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

• i gave a job to a merchanic that works from home 2 change a cambelt on a van 3months later the tension pulley snapped and the van is more or less a write of as its going to cost nealy half the value of the van but can i take him 2 smalls claims court under the sale of goods act as 1.my business is effected and i am unable to earn a living i have been advised from other merchanics that u are susposed 2 put a cambelt kit when doing a cambelt change and they are actually cheaper than buying the belt itself that what makes me sick he states i only asked him 2 do a cambelt but he should have adised me 2 put a cambelt kit on and evenstill have checked these parts i have ordered all parts and the new part that broke looks in new shiny condition he should have put a cambelt kit on in the first place,can i win in small claims court?

Hello and Welcome,

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

cheers

When your mechanic changed the timing belt, did they also change the tensioner? If so then you have a case. If not you do not. You only askedf for the timing belt to be changed and very often this is all that gets done.

It is common for garages to suggest a whole kit including the tensioners as this is certainly the wisest thing to do, but it is not a duty of any mechanic to suggest it.

It is NOT cheaper to buy a kit. Depending on the vehicle a belt can cost about £30 upwards, a kit £70 upwards.99% of people I used to do belts for would go for the belt only even after advising them of the minimal extra work and cost.

• Haha 1

um intresting will c what solicitors say but its comon knowlege 2 put a cambelt kit in when doing a cambelt change nevermind about extra cost i would have payed 4 the kit and plus its no extra time 2 do it.

no the merchanic did not change the tension pulley but he should have done as 2 me it looked in bad shape,the cost is no different he charged me more than £30 4 the belt and 2 sum it up the kit is cheaper than buying the belt on it own,can anybody add 2 this?

Your belt may well cost more than £30. I did say £30 upwards. That is trade purchase price. The timing belt kit is always more expensive because instead of just a belt you get one or more tensioners, pulleys bolts etc depending vehicle.

It is extra time, but we are talking perhaps 10 minutes additional time depending on vehicle.

Your opinion is the mechanic should have changed the tensioner. I agree. But the fact that he didn't does not make him liable. It is not a requirement, but a common recommendation. Even the manufacturers specify a timing belt change, not a timing belt kit change. Don't get me wrong. i totally feel for you and would suggest you picked the wrong mechanic for the job. But the issue now is having the vehicle examined to establish if the tensioner failed because of fault, or was it fitted back on incorrectly. If the latter then you have a great case. If it just collapsed, which is very common because of the increased rigidity of a new belt to an old belt, then it is just one of those things to learn from

In a nutshell, if the mecahanic correctly fitted what you asked for, then he has no case to answer. If however, he fitted it incorrectly or badly ie, didn't do the tensioner up and it worked loose, then he does.

thanks 4 relpy,what do u do 4 a living?i check w aa but i think the tension pulley collapsed or broke.but in future i will take it 2 a authorized garage like iveco where i get warrantee etc do u think they would have put a kit on it or just cambelt and checked it and decided it was okay,

how much would it cost 2 examine van and detrermine exact cause?bit late now as getting van sorted and they probally desposed of all broken parts.

thanks 4 relpy,what do u do 4 a living?i check w aa but i think the tension pulley collapsed or broke.but in future i will take it 2 a authorized garage like iveco where i get warrantee etc do u think they would have put a kit on it or just cambelt and checked it and decided it was okay,

I used to be a service engineer of a well known Rolls Royce dealership and am a former RAF engineer.

Do not be fooled into thinking a main agent would do any better job. In my expeince the small, one man band mechanics are usually far more careful, efficient and dedicated often going that extra mile to make sure you come back in future.

If the parts have already been removed, you need to talk to whoever removed them as well as the original mechanic If he used a new tensioner and it collapsed (has happened before) then teh manufacturer of the tensioner would be liable. If he used then original tensioner and it collapsed you are sunk unless it can be shown that it only collapsed as a reult of some negligence on the mechanics part, ie not done up, oevr tightened etc.

TBH, if he has had the ability to change the timing belt and get it back to you in an apparently satisfactory running order at the time, I would suggest he probably knows what he is doing. Timing belts are a fairly major job and take a fair degree of knowledge and skill to tackle.

First thing I would suggest is asking straight questions if you ahven't already. Did he use a new tenseioner. If not why not? Why did he not suggest it when it is reasonably common knowledge that it should really be done at the same time. We used to recommend water pump at the same time on the cars we worked on as they were a 3 bolt job once we got the belt off. It depends on his answers really on that front. If he didn't use a new tensioner and it cannot be proved that he over tightened or undertightened the tensioner, it does look as if it is plain old mechanical failure and as much as I would love to say 'yes it is his fault' I cannot. I genuinely think you will find it just collapsed due to wear and tear, being the original part.

Your options would be best solved with a good used engine. Shouldn't cost more than £500 from a scrappy. Hear it running first then get the belt AND tensioners changed before fitting. A good DIY mecahnic can change an engine in a weekend using hire hoist and jacks etc. A Garage will charge anything from £250 for a simple change, to £1000 to change one depending on vehicle.

Could be your best answer. Otherwise, asuming it is an interference engine, it would be at least head off and valves or worse still piston punctures. If it is a non interference engine, it just needs a new belt and tensioners. Mitsubishi Shogun 3.0 12v for example, simple belt change and fixed again.

HTH

its a interferance engine 6values have gone,have manged 2 gentle persuade merchanic 2 do it at cost of £300 parts and £250 labour,i hope i can get 6months of truble free motoring,any adice u can give me other than use a proper trained merchanics who give a warantee on all jobs??

I used to be a service engineer of a well known Rolls Royce dealership and am a former RAF engineer

Vans don't have bleddy Merlins :)

LOL. I was a little after the Spitfires thanks.

Is that the rather good beer?

how long does it take 2 do cambelt change?

can u close cambelt thread?

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.