Medical Examination at work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My sister is 57 and has worked in the same compamy for over 30 years ( insurance office)

On Friday she received an email from HR ordering her to attend a medical examination date and time to be confirmed

She was a bit suspicious that the email was addressed to her personally as most dictates from HR are sent via an email group ( iE everyone getting the same email at the same time ) so she has done a bit of investigation.

Out of the 15 people in her office 3 are over 50 and its seems that its only these 3 who have been ordered to have the exam

Few points

She has her contract of employment and theres nothing in there to say she may be called for a med exam

She does not operate machinery or drive on behalf of the company nor is subjected to any hazerdous (spelling?) waste etc.

The last sick leave she had was 5 years ago and she has not had anytime off for Dr or dentist appts

in the last 2 years.

However her company is talking about possible redundancys and she fears that they are targeting the older workers by using the excuse they may not be medically fit to work.

As only the over 50s seem to have been sent this email ( one of the over 50s 24 year old daughter works in the offfice and has not had the email) is this age discrimination?

Also there was no consent form attached to the email and no indication as to the nature of the exam what it will be used for and who will see it.

She has also never been asked to provide her GPs details nor have been asked for her permission for the employer to see her medical records

She is preparing to fight this but needs some info that she can use.

Hello. This sounds like possible discrimination to me, though we have better experts than myself. It certainly doesn't sound very transparent, which it is meant to be. I would be asking for further information.

Your cousin could also consider ringing ACAS or the EHRC [equality people] on Monday, depending on what answers come along here.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sounds highly irregular to me unless a condition of a Company medical insurance policy or similar, or on certain H&S grounds. Other than that this is a complete no-no and she should demand to know the reason why and for what purpose any findings will be used. If it isn't a condition of her employment or of any ongoing policy attached to work, then she is entitled to refuse.

There is no automatic claim for discrimination - this depends on the employer's reason for requesting a medical, but they need to be very careful.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!