• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Threatening letter from Bryant Carter solicitors.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Opened my mail this morning and was shocked to read a letter from Bryant Carter solicitors saying i owe Phoenix recoveries £50. Here is the letter

"You have failed to pay the judgement obtained against you and we now intend to issue a warrent of execution.

A bailiff will be instrcuted by Bromley County Court to call your home and may take possession of goods belonging to you of sufficient value to satisfy the warrent. This could include items such as your television or computer or other electronic equipment and may also include items which are jointly owned by you and another person.

Additional costs incurred by us issuing the warrent will be added to the judgement debt thereby increasing your indebtedness unnecessarily.

If you are unable to pay cash to the balliff your goods may be sold at auction and the money raised to staisfy the warrent."

I would just like to say i had no previous contact with Phoenix or the company i owe money too and as they dont mention who i owe the debt to its hard to figure out who it is. I have a feeling it could be my council tax but surely they would have wrote to me telling me i was in arrears? I sent Bromley council an email asking if the debt is with them so am awaiting a reply. If the debt is for council tax and i pay the full debt to bromley council on tuesday can they still send bailiffs to my house? do these solicitors have an email address? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

OK, there are different 'rules' for bailiff in connection with debt (CCJ) and Council Tax etc.

You can check online if you have a CCJ here:CCJs, court orders & fines - Search yourself and others - Trust Online

Have you had debt or account at another address in the past few years as BC are very good at getting a CCJ slip undefended through Court at a previous address, if this is the case you will have cause for a set-aside.

Not sure how you will stand with paying the Court direct, as if Bailiffs have already been instructed (I am sure you would have had paperwork?) then the Bailiffs' fees might need to be paid.

If it were me I would first check to see if there is a CCJ and then check on the telephone with Bromley Council first thing Monday.

Well, that is entirely up to you, but if they do have the CCJ and you have missed payments as they say (albeit because you don't know about it) they could do as they suggest and apply for a Warrant of Execution which will bring in the bailiffs. Far better in my opinion to try and head this off at the pass so to speak and arm yourself with the true facts.

He is well known for obtaining CCJs by default using previous addresses, sent him this;

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Print name do not sign

Until you get a case number there isn't a great deal you can do. If you've never received any court papers at your present address the only way possible he could have obtained one is by using your previous address, you can check online but it will cost £8 http://www.trustonline.org.uk/

i thought they could only send bailiffs to sieze goods if its council tax, parking fines or tv license related...can they send bailiifs for other stuff too??

1. If they have obtained a CCJ of which you have no knowledge (ie craftily been using your previous address)

2. Obviously you have no knowledge of CCJ and then terms of payments ordered.

3. By their deviousness they have caused you to be in default of the terms of payment.

4. They apply to Court, proving you have made no payments, for a Warrant of Execution, which, in your absence, will be granted.

5. The WOE will then bring the Court Bailiffs into play and you will either receive notification of when they will be calling, or they will just turn up.

So you can see why it is important that you try and arm yourself with as much information as possible, as number 4 could be as early as Monday.

If I were you, I would search Registry Trust Online to see if you have a CCJ, and note down the details. You would then have to apply to have this set aside in order to stop them continuing with 4 and 5 above. This really does need to be done ASAP in my opinion.

Just found an email address for them so sent them this email......

RE: Phoneix Recoveries (UK) ltd S.a.r.l

CLAIM NO: XXXXX

Outstanding arrears: £XX.XX

To whom it may concern

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above information, which you claim is owed by myself. I was quite shocked when i read you're letter as i have no knowledge of this debt and no previous contact from the company in question.

Before i continue i would like to inform you that i am familiar with the ‘Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance’ which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore, ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I ask no further contact be made regarding the account above unless i am informed of exactly what it is for and have evidence of my liability to the debt in question.

i await you're statement and proof of what the debt is for or confirmation that it is now closed. Otherwise i will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look foward to you're quickest possible reply.

XXXXXX XXXXXX

So now im just going to play the waiting game and see what they write back. Im sure they cant send bailliffs whilst im debating the debt...

Well, if it were me I would most definitely be looking onlne tonight at Registry Trust to see if there was a CCJ, I would then be downloading and filling in the relevant Court Forms for a set-aside for first thing Monday.

Your letter is sound, but in my opinion should go to BC who have advised you they have a CCJ. Pheonix have handed this over to BC so have (maybe) washed their hands of it. Knowing the way that BC sometimes works,, you will have most probably been notified at the last possible moment, so things may already be progressing.

Now, on the plus side, you can still get this CCJ set aside further down the road, but perhaps you might have to endure a visit from the Bailiffs, and the sooner you apply to the Court for Set aside the more likely they are to believe that you knew nothing of the original case.

These are, of course, just my own personal suggestions, and there are no 'right' or wrong' way to handle this, but being a pro-active person I believe in taking control.

I agree. This has to be treated with urgency. They CAN and WILL send County Court bailiffs to execute a warrant IF there is a CCJ. You need to find out the case number and make sure Carter is Not up to his old trick of getting a CCJ by default by sending the papers to your old address (or even the wrong address) If he has done this, then a complaint to the SRA is is order Once there is a CCJ they can enforce it in a variety of ways. You can't sit back and wait

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

Hi big Amzz , I have had dealings with BC almost the same as yours. Firstly Pheonix tend to buy mail order and catalogue debts not council tax debts.A friend of mine received almost the same letter as yours BC had got a CCJ against her and she had made no payments and so was about to send the bailiffs around he even supplied a payment card ( how thoughtfull). The fact was that this was the first she knew of the debt and any court action.He did however state the date of the CCJ and the claim number as well as the issueing court , after phoning the court to find out that BC did have a CCJ by default she requested the court to send papers for a set aside as she had no knowledge of the debt or court claim therfore had been denied the chance of entering a defence.She also sent BC a letter by special delivery telling him of the intended set aside and to stop all efforts of collection until after the set aside application had been heard.You need to do some quick investigation work, cover your back as BC will try every underhand trick in the book always send by recorded or special delivery and word your letters strongly but truthfully. I will keep an eye on your thread but my time is limited at present ,there are many on this site that detest BC and will help you but please take his threats of bailiffs seriously.

sleepingdog

well i rang bryan carter solicitors today and i have found out its from a littlewoods catalogue debt from about 3-4 years ago....it was at my current address, its gone from around £200 and has gone up to nearly £500!!!....they set up a repayment plan that i simply cant afford....is there anything i can do or am i screwed???

well i rang bryan carter solicitors today and i have found out its from a littlewoods catalogue debt from about 3-4 years ago....it was at my current address, its gone from around £200 and has gone up to nearly £500!!!....they set up a repayment plan that i simply cant afford....is there anything i can do or am i screwed???

You need to read the advice previously given. If BC have obtained a CCJ by default as they arranged to send the court papers to a previous address, you can get it set aside. Once you get the set aside into the court, ask the court, how you can get the baillifs put on hold, until the set aside is looked into.

Here is the step by step guide provided by the Insolvency Helpline. If you have any questions, they have a freephone helpline and are usually very helpful.

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/ccj-removal/step-by-step-process.php

As it stands if you don't do anything or cannot come to an arrangement with BC or the baillifs, you will incur more costs. If they visit to make a listing of your possessions, you will realise the £400 worth of items will amount to a lot of your items, as they will assess them to have little value.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread