style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4994 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, (sorry if in wrong foru

I have unpaid court fines from tv licence totalling £500

I havnt started paying these and was fined 6 months ago this is because.

My ex wife left me and took my son one night without telling me. this led me into deep depression because i wasnt allowed to see my son unless i took her to court which was a long process, in the end i got access this took its toll on me.

I left her in charge of the rent/bills etc.... and when she left it came to light after finding reprosession orders/baliffs for the house, debt letters for the gas and electric, which i gave her the money for rent/bills anyway after finding letters it came to light that she hadnt paid rent or any bills for one year but was hiding letters and putting the money in her bank (which she now rents a lovly house with the proceeds).

This leads me on the tv licence fines if im honest i completly forgot about them with what has been happining with everything else. i didnt recieve any letters/calls/baliffs regarding the fines until wednesday. It came as a shock because of forgetting so i immeadiatly sent a letter offering £5 per week as im on benefits. yesterday i got letter saying i had to attend court in 6 weeks and to take all income /expenditure and a substanial payment.

I telephoned the fines officer and explained the situation and was honest. i have offered to pay £120 on the 1/9/10 to clear part of the fine, it equals to 6 months payment at £5 per week. i dont like owing money so actually intend to pay it within a few months to get it off my back. he did say ring on the 1st and pay £120 and he will see if he can come to some arragement.

The court letter says to bring incoming/outgoing and a payment but the fines officer says its a imprisionmemnt hearing so im lost to what the truth is and does anyone have any idea what the likely outcome will be?

Im offering to clear it and will make a substanial payment of £120 and have offered to have it deducted from benefits etc..but they wont do it because they dont have power. Just when i get myself back on my feet after 10 months of turmoil and fights to see my child and beg to a judge to let me keep the house and pay the arrears off this happens. i know its my fault.

Dont know what to do if im honest.

Thank for reading.

hi, (sorry if in wrong foru

I have unpaid court fines from tv licence totalling £500

I havnt started paying these and was fined 6 months ago this is because.

My ex wife left me and took my son one night without telling me. this led me into deep depression because i wasnt allowed to see my son unless i took her to court which was a long process, in the end i got access this took its toll on me.

I left her in charge of the rent/bills etc.... and when she left it came to light after finding reprosession orders/baliffs for the house, debt letters for the gas and electric, which i gave her the money for rent/bills anyway after finding letters it came to light that she hadnt paid rent or any bills for one year but was hiding letters and putting the money in her bank (which she now rents a lovly house with the proceeds).

This leads me on the tv licence fines if im honest i completly forgot about them with what has been happining with everything else. i didnt recieve any letters/calls/baliffs regarding the fines until wednesday. It came as a shock because of forgetting so i immeadiatly sent a letter offering £5 per week as im on benefits. yesterday i got letter saying i had to attend court in 6 weeks and to take all income /expenditure and a substanial payment.

I telephoned the fines officer and explained the situation and was honest. i have offered to pay £120 on the 1/9/10 to clear part of the fine, it equals to 6 months payment at £5 per week. i dont like owing money so actually intend to pay it within a few months to get it off my back. he did say ring on the 1st and pay £120 and he will see if he can come to some arragement.

The court letter says to bring incoming/outgoing and a payment but the fines officer says its a imprisionmemnt hearing so im lost to what the truth is and does anyone have any idea what the likely outcome will be?

Im offering to clear it and will make a substanial payment of £120 and have offered to have it deducted from benefits etc..but they wont do it because they dont have power. Just when i get myself back on my feet after 10 months of turmoil and fights to see my child and beg to a judge to let me keep the house and pay the arrears off this happens. i know its my fault.

Dont know what to do if im honest.

Thank for reading.

Was the letter for 6 weeks time from the actual court?

If its asking for income/expenditure forms to be filled in then it sounds like its a means assessment hearing.

This would mean they would look at your income and determine how much you should pay a week (the ones i have been to in the past have usually been sympathetic). But if your on benefits there is a prescribed ammount which they are allowed to take which i believe is lower than the £5 a week.

The fines officer is just trying to scare you into paying the debt in advance. If there is nothing on the court letter stating about imprisonment i wouldnt worry about it.

It has the courts address, but its a fines clinic letter? Signed by the fines officer.

Dosnt say anything about imprisionment just in bold letters to bring evidence of income and expenditure together with a substantial payment.

The fines officer on the phone says its a imprisioment hearing is this correct? Got me worried because im not refusing to pay and want to pay but cant fully before the hearing with me being on jsa.

It has the courts address, but its a fines clinic letter? Signed by the fines officer.

Dosnt say anything about imprisionment just in bold letters to bring evidence of income and expenditure together with a substantial payment.

The fines officer on the phone says its a imprisioment hearing is this correct? Got me worried because im not refusing to pay and want to pay but cant fully before the hearing with me being on jsa.

Imprisonment is always a last resort and usually reserved for those who can pay but refuse to do so.

Attend the hearing in person and take with you evidence of income and expenditure.

Yoshiro has given a very good explanation of what the hearing will establish regarding you repaying the debt.

There is no need for you to offer or make a substantial payment unless ordered to do so by the court and that seldom happens.

Your circumstances will dictate how much you are expected to pay and as long as you stick with that religiously you have no need to worry.

Do be very careful to make sure that all payments are received by them on the due date and remember they do not allow to the fact that the due date may fall on a weekend or Bank Holiday, you are expected to ensure payment arrives before the due date in these circumstances. I mention this as there appears to be a pattern emerging whereby Baliffs are quick off the mark to call non payment on the due date regardless of when it falls, to be a breach in the repayment agreements.

WD

If it were me I would jump in first and start to pay now but would make the substantial payment £50 (allows you a reserve if needed) then £5 per week. Shows willing and gives them something to think about.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok thanks for the replies.

I do intend to pay a lump sum on the 1st. So is there nothing to worry about ?

He has put the frightners on with him saying imprisionment hearing.

Can you please type the exact wording from the letter.

The fines clinic is to expore WHY you have not paid. For imprisonment, the courts needs to prove that you are REFUSING to pay. That is why you need to attend and provide evidence of your financial circusmtances. You should also put any offer IN WRITING.