mazda1

DVLA failure to notify change of keeper

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3319 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all, new on here but problem is that I recently sold my cat "C" insurance write off to a friend and informed DVLA of the change by 2nd class letter. DVLA refused to issue me with a V5 until such time as I got the car VIC checked so I coulndt pass on the relevant part of a V5 to the new owner as I never had one from DVLA. I had the car on SORN during my ownership but now I get a letter from an enforcement agency in Birmingham demanding money from me as they say I didn't notify DVLA of the change of ownership.

DVLA in Swansea tell me that they never received my notification letter however they did write a security letter to me when the new keeper applied for his V5 and tax asking if I would confirm his application was genuine. I responded that it was and they were fine about everything until this demand from Birmingham. The new owner confirms that I posted my notification letter to DVLA at the point of sale and in his presence...surely I'm not responsible for Royal Mail failing to deliver??..what should I do???

Thanks all.

Hello and Welcome,

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Many thanks

Your legal obligation is to notify DVLA of change of keeper by posting the relevant portion of V5c to them. You did that. DVLA have taken many, many people to court for this and have lost everytime. Whetehr they received iot, lost it, ate it or anything else is not relevant in law.

Write to them confirming you posted the V5c to them as required in law and it was witnessed by the buyer. You have fulfilled your legal obligation. They will either ignoire you, write back telling you that you owe them money or take you to court. In all events you will pay them nothing.

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.