need advice work carryed out at flat rented see inside

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok this is my first post so please go easy on me , i was hoping someone may be able to offer me some advice in relation to my rights as a tennant.

To start approx 3 weeks ago my landlord watned access to my flat due to a leak in the properlty below , upon inspecting the bathroom the landlord found the leak underneath the bath. The landlord decided to rip the bath and shower out , and the floors in my bathroom and landing. In the meantime it has took him approx 2 and a half weeks to install a shower and put up a few tiles. Now he is asking me for less then what he says is half, he costed the work at 1200£ and due to the fact ive been without of a bath or shower for 2 weeks he said he will accept 400£ and is happy to set up a payment plan.

However this has really stressed me out first ive had to let one of his employees access to my property who has strecthed the job out to no end. The guy has also left all his tools over my landing for 2 weeks, and not cleared up after himself after any work done. Secondly his work is sub standard the tiling he has done is all wonky. Various occasions i have had a phone call to tell me they have left stuff in my flat or done some work that day without my consent or knowledge.

So my question is do i have to pay him this money ? i may have agreed to him doing the work however i did stress at all times that money was tight and i prob would have a hard time contributing any payments to the work carryed out.

Its got to the point where im just thinking of moving on as im not sure i can afford the improvements he has made or suffer any more disturbance to my life .... he has informed me i will have to wait another 2 weeks to have my floors fitted due to the fact he is busy :/

Edited by tommytech

Why are you even considering paying the landlord for the repair works.

Unequivocally you should not pay for this.

Given the circumstances I would be looking for a rent reduction whilst the works were ongoing.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

thank you all for the replys , appreciate the feedback. Im going to have a sit down with this guy today and see if this can be resolved as its really stressing me out. The other thing that is very annoying is the price he has quoted me for the work done when i know it cost a lost less , as he has left all his rubbish on my landing i have managed to find out who supplyed him with what and also the price, and it dosent even come half way close to the figure he quoted me @ 1200. Im obviously going to be telling him now that im not paying for any repair work or what he considers to be improvements to the property thanks to the feedback from you guys. Ill post back later let you know how i get on.

well my landlord has said i dont have to pay him , but he dident seem very happy ... our relationship has been defintly been damaged, further still i have to wait another additional 3 weeks for him to fit the floors in both the bathroom and halll whilst still paying full rent :/

Well lets not be too hasty - by floors, do you mean all of the floorboards are up???

If the relationship has been damaged then this is the fault of your landlord, not you - he should be aware of his obligations. Dont pander to unreasonable people.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

OK but the vinyl floor is up, but what about floorboards?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Right OK so in that case I fully disagree with the above posters comment that the flat is "virtually uninhabitable" as the subfloor is still present.

In any event, dont pay for the works - it is not your responsibility whatsoever.

You are probably due some compensation back for the lack of water, not (IMHO) for the floors being up.

Thats no prob WG, I appreciate that ;) was just trying to get more to the bottom of it :)