freechips

Optical Express- Breaking of a Verbal agreement.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3648 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there everyone, first post on this wonderful site!

I was recently in Edinburgh and bought some sunglasses. I bought them with the specific promise from the sales assistant that I could return them for a refund at any Optical Express store for any reason I saw fit. I made sure of this because I was close to leaving on a train home to London and knew I could perhaps find the same pair for less elsewhere, but didnt want to lose this opportunity.

Lo' and behold I find them for £35 cheaper online. I take the original pair to the nearest Optical Express shop and ask for a refund (3 days after purchasing them), staff let me know that refunds are under the discretion of the manager of the shop that sold them.

They ring up the manager of the Edinburgh shop and instead of the refund I was promised I get told 'our policy is only to allow exchanges'. He adds that the sales assistant wrote down notes after the sale claiming to have told me that 'only exchanges are allowed'. I was not told this and have not seen a copy of these notes.

I am waiting for a call from the manager tomorrow to further discuss the matter and would love to know if someone with more experience with this could advise me on what I am legally entitled to as this seems a grey area of the law?

If it helps I am considering disputing the payment through my credit card provider.

I will update this as it proceeds.

Thanks!

Hi again,

So after a discussion with the manager of the edinburgh shop, then their customer services department at head office I am still nowhere nearer obtaining a refund. This is because the sales assistant is insisting that she informed me that only exchanges are allowed.

The credit card provider lets me know that they cannot dispute the payment as the condition that I would receive a refund was not made in writing.

Apparently the sales assistant also wrote down that we had talked about frames which is also not true, this makes me believe the notes are taken from a template or something similar simply to cover their own backs each time they make a sale.

Interestingly the first contact I made with their call centre mentioned that she has received a few of these complaints before passing me through to someone who insists this has never happened before.

I would again appreciate any comments or debate about the whole issue!

:-)

Nothing you can do on this maybe send a futile letter to the MDs office. Chalk it down to experience always beware of shops desperate to take your money and offer you a refund, cos once they have sold the item its pretty impossible for them to resell at the same price. Verbal agreements are not worth the paper they are written on