To ebay or not to ebay - looks a bit scary to me...

samsmoot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've so far had no real problems with buying on ebay, and I was thinking of putting up for sale on there my collection of (don't laugh) comics. I would expect them to fetch a few hundred or so.

After seeing a bad report or two on here about Paypal refunds, and also after reading ebay's selling guides, I'm left feeling unsure that ebay's a good idea. For a start off they insist that you must agree to accept PayPal as a payment method, then they say there's a Paypal fee and don't tell you how much. The thing that bothers me is the possibility of the buyer getting refunded, and me losing out - it seems to happen often enough.

How can I protect myself from an unscrupulous buyer/online auction site/payment facilitator? Perhaps what I am selling isn't usually prone to [causing problems], but I feel well put off by some of the stories I have heard. Would ebay allow me to sell a catalogue containing a list of what I have for sale? Or what about classified ads on ebay?

Any comments welcome, thanks.

Ive been using Ebay for a couple of years now to buy and sell books, and never had any problems. One thing I make sure that my auctions are only UK based, therefore no-one out of the UK can buy from me, as its too much hassle working out the postage etc.

My auctions usually start at 99p that way I have no insertion fees to pay only selling ones, and try not to over price on the postage.

In fact, just after I posted that, I decided to have a clear out and have a few books on just now. I will TRY not to buy more books until Ive got shot of more of mine, but I know it will be very hard :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Always send items recorded. That's your cover with paypal. If a buyer claims they didn't receive it my step mum tells me you just tell paypal the recorded delivery details. She sells on ebay for a living and always sends recorded. Have you looked at gumtree for selling - I think it's free. I've sold odd bits and pieces of my own over the years on ebay and not had any problems. The latest thing now though is, Paypal are holding your money for 21 days or until you receive positive feedback (whichever is sooner) until you build up a bit of a history. There are discussion forums within ebay which are very busy you could have a look there too.