• Tweets

• The coronavirus pandemic has thrown many countries into recession - but what exactly is it and how could it affect you? View the full article
    • Oh and before bed   Officially leaked statements about a PHE report claiming that a UK study will say there is little evidence of children transmitting Covid.   Leakers stats look impressive until you realise he's on Johnson's SAGE so makes you think - huh - hows that then when all the science I've seen says different, and there are a number of reports of spreads in schools across the world from schools that had opened.   Then, little as the information 'leaked' is, you see   "largest studies in the world on coronavirus in schools" and then "The study was carried out in 100 institutions in the UK and is expected to be published later this year. About 20,000 pupils and teachers in 100 schools across England were tested to monitor the spread of the disease up to the end of the summer term – which runs from April-July in Britain."   Then you click. That averages 200 pupils and staff per 'institution' checked We dont know what these institutions are, but I think over 200 is the average for infants schools. Other schools tend to be FAR larger. Did they test everyone at each institution, or just some ??? we don't know yet - they are choosing not to leak that - Wonder why?   We currently understand that younger children (pre teenage) seem to present few/less symptoms  (statistically) but large increases in teenager covid has been reported as lockdowns ease and they start to meet more.   I know my OH's grandson (mother a nurse) has remained at school in classes one third or less that normal, with the majority of kids having front line worker parents - so well aware of the discipline and hygiene necessary. We know the schools maintain distancing, monitoring and maintenance which would be IMPOSSIBLE in normal class sizes.   So in a lock down situation, with class sizes significantly lower than normal (highly aware front-line workers kids mainly), increased distancing and cleaning made possible by SIGNIFICANTLY smaller class sizes - Has maybe resulted in no great evidence of covid spread perhaps?   Well Whoopy do. Lets ramp the class sizes back up to 30+ and see what happens ..     Lets let the mail lead the way Coronavirus infection rates are rising in ALL age groups under 65, Public Health England data shows with biggest surge in under-fives which 'should be watched very carefully' https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8615423/Coronavirus-infection-rates-rising-age-groups-65-Public-Health-England-data-shows.html     and the ONS stats showing how similar the stats are (a statistically significant  difference can be very little actual difference)   https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19infectionsinthecommunityinengland/july2020     Notes: These statistics refer to infections reported in the community, by which we mean private households. These figures exclude infections reported in hospitals, care homes or other institutional settings.  
    • i understand and agree you should write a formal letter of complaint about the email by royal mail.   i also think you should totally dispute the arrears balance, esp as it goes back so long   send them an sar and add to the text in it that you want statements/bills dating back to the gb energy a/c.
    • When you see the reports coming out that serco was involved from the earliest stages apparently to give expertise   and that resulted in 18 million plus people coming back into the UK untested from hotspots .. and then even the general advice to self isolate after they had travelled across the UK home being withdrawn in the run-up to the lock down   That went well says cummings      
    • and when you think there have been around 3,000 confirmed new covid cases in the last 3 days ...   The only golf club shaped recovery is going to be by the coronavirus
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
adridude

Liabaility order without notice

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3452 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello,

Unfortunatley I grew about £1300 of CT arrears in the last property I was in. I since moved borough (under another council) and started Debt Relief Order preceedings.

For some reason, the council I'm in gavee out my address to the other coucil in another borough, which are now hounding me for my council tax.

So be it, I have to pay it, but they said that on 07/12/09 a liability order was done (I left the property on 19/11/09) so i wasnt even invited to court!

Can this stsand up at all? I didnt even have a chance to discuss this with anyone.

Furthermore, now I am out of benefits and have found the first job in 6 months, they want the nam, address etc... of my employer, plus they want my payroll number!

I have 14 days to send this form back to them with a) those details nad b) an offer.

Should I accidentally omit the company address? I can't afford my comopany to get wind that I am in debt and have court orders against me as it would be frowned upon.

Finally I cant afford to pay them alot as I have some priority debts which I'm paying off:

1) £150 rent arrears

2) £1600 (loan from council to get me settled in a house following housing issues)

3) £110 British Gas

I havent even received my first salary and dont even have time to see what I will and wont be spending on bills etc... Furthermore, I need to get a car for the role I'm in and need to put some money aside for that, will they take this into consideration?

Thanks

Adrian

Just to update this, I've contacted the council and offered £100 / month payments via DD. I've also confirmed that they have my CT dates wrong, they over charged me by 4 months! Anyway, they are happy to sort out the overcharge, but they said that £100 wouldnt be sufficient?

What happens if after 3 or 4 months I have only £300 to go and they take me to court and start charging me for court fees etc... even though I am paying back at a rate I can barely afford?

There are no further court fees that you can be charged unless the case goes to bankruptcy or a charging order. There are fees if a bailiff becomes involved. If you stop paying then the council can issue an attachment order (if they can find your employer) but its likely that the account would go a bailiff for collection.

The Request For Information/Regulation 36 notice you received is a legal document and you can be fined for not providing, in full, the requested information.

Next April when you get your next bill, if you don't pay that as well as pay the arrears, you will get another liability order against you. The councils love those in arrears, they make a lot of extra money from liability orders.

Conniff> The CT arrears are from another council. What surprised me is that at the moment, I come under "Swale Borough Council" in Kent, but "Medway Council" also in Kent got my details from Swale Borough council. Can they do that?

ss002d6252> I've offered them £100 per month to pay off the bill but the lady said that wasn't acceptable. The bill is only £850! She said baliffs would come around, but I'm sure that I can give them the runaround for 8 months lol. I've been good at that so far :-P

Conniff> The CT arrears are from another council. What surprised me is that at the moment, I come under "Swale Borough Council" in Kent, but "Medway Council" also in Kent got my details from Swale Borough council. Can they do that?
Yes they can.

ss002d6252> I've offered them £100 per month to pay off the bill but the lady said that wasn't acceptable. The bill is only £850! She said baliffs would come around, but I'm sure that I can give them the runaround for 8 months lol. I've been good at that so far :-P
They might say it's not acceptable but they certainly aren't going to turn your payments away, especially if you turn up and pay them in cash!

Luckily I found a way around this. Seeing as I'm unemployed now, you can instruct the "council in question" to contacted your benefits DWP center and attach a "minimum" to your Job Seekers etc...

They need:

Type of benefit

Benefits office you sign at

NI Number

and the amount £3.33 / week is the minimum

You wont hear from them again. BUT on the other hand, they WONT contact you if you start work and your attachment to income falls away.

You wont hear from them again. BUT on the other hand, they WONT contact you if you start work and your attachment to income falls away.

I am a bit confused about what you mean. I work in council housing and have requested and obtained direct deductions from tenant's benefits in the past just like the Council Tax dept do. We most certainly do contact anyone who is still in arrears but who's deductions have stopped because they are no longer on benefits. The money is still owing and we will chase the person and take any legal actions available to us if they do not clear the arrears.

Luckily I found a way around this. Seeing as I'm unemployed now, you can instruct the "council in question" to contacted your benefits DWP center and attach a "minimum" to your Job Seekers etc...

You cant instruct the council to take council tax by attachment of benefit - you can request that they do but they dont have to. (I setup a dozen or two every week for council tax arrears). If they agree to the rate is fixed at £3.30 p/w.

Once we are notified by DWP that the attachment has ceased then we will contact the person again within a couple of weeks of being informed of this.

Thats contrary to what both Shelter and CAB have told me. If I can prove that I have no disposable income (which I can quite easily), the minimum they can accept is £3.30... If they refuse and take me to court and a judge sees that I made an offer based on my income they'll get laughed out of court :D

You can't squeeze blood out of a stone...

It looks to me as if you are deliberately making an attempt to avoid paying your council tax.

A liability order is just that, it's a courts endorsement of the fact that you owe council tax and gives the council powers to collect that owed tax. Because you managed to move home without letting the council know your new address don't mean you have got away with it.

They don't have to accept any offer you make them, but they will try and come to some arangement to pay off the arrears. If you prove awkward and non cooperative, they will just send in the bailiffs or use one of the other powers they have.

I'm not sure what relevance this '8 months' has, but once a liability order is granted, that debt stays with you for life and they can collect it as and when they catch up with you.

Thats contrary to what both Shelter and CAB have told me. If I can prove that I have no disposable income (which I can quite easily), the minimum they can accept is £3.30... If they refuse and take me to court and a judge sees that I made an offer based on my income they'll get laughed out of court

They've advised you wrongly (I work in council tax recovery and have undertaken professional courses in this area) on both counts.

The option for recovery action after the Liability Order is granted (providing its covered in the council tax (administration and enforcement) regs 1992) is purely the council's decision. They are given a list of possible options and they choose the one they feel is the appropriate one - IF a person has no income but a benefit that can be attached (JSA, ESA, IS, PC) then most councils will attach it as a method of recovery but there's no requirement to do so.

If it goes in front of a magistrate for committal then they can order a payment scheme or they may jail a person (irrespective of income) if they feel it meets the relevant criteria.

what if I'm disputing the amount as they took quite a few years to contact me about the amount which I aparently owe whilst I wasn't in the property. I send them a letter (witha copy of proof of address)(which is a letter from the DWP showing dates I was in my new address)

I left the property on 1st Jan 07, and claimed a new hosing benefits and JSA at another jobcenter 100 miles away under a different address yet I was charged until April that year?

If they are claiming money for a property that you were not resident in, then they must adjust that amount.

Refering to the title of your thread, documents can be served on the last known address so if you didn't notify them of the change of address, then it is resonable for them to assume you are still there and charge the appropriate amount and apply for a liability order for that amount and send it to that address.

Oh Bugger....

I moved in with my parter and it was her house solely in her name so I didn't even bother registering at the new council at all. Only proof I would be able to get is an affidavit from the person who transported myself and my belongings, proof that an employer was communicating with me at that address (who was around the corner from me) and proof that my GP surgery was changed to around the corner from the new house.

Aparently all of this isn't good enough.

And I'm happy to pay my CT arrears... Just not the amount that they expect. I only expect to pay for while I was there :-\

Then take all that stuff with you to court and my betting is that as soon as she/he sees you turn up with it, it won't get through the court door, it will be cancelled.

You should go to the court anyway as you aren't liable and she will give the biggest intake of breath when she sees you and utter 'bollox'.

Which court do I go to? Reason I ask is because if it's the one in Nottingham I was invited to, thats over £80 of travel away! WHo do I speak to at the court anyway?