Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3684 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I was told by my employer this evening that the entire bar staff including myself at my place of work have been over paid by £49.50 and that they will be taking it out of my next wages.

I understand that they are allowed to do this but I did not notice the extra money in my account and when I asked for some proof of the overpayment they refused, can they still make a deduction if they refuse to provide proof?

Thanks, Peter.

Proof should be in the pay slips that will show all the rates of pay deductions etc. You should know from your contract (if you have one) what your rate of pay is. It should all be transparent.

Agreed entirely. There is no automatic right to proof (and indeed the employer can just deduct the money without even informing the employee in advance), but it would be 'reasonable' for the employer to provide a breakdown if the matter was at all complicated (differing rates of pay, erratic shift patterns etc), but in all fairness, for an amount such as this involving a single incident of overpayment (it would appear), I don't think that you need look beyond recent payslips in order to verify that the claimed overpayment occurred.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!