Third Party Claim but driver not insured

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help and advice please!

I let my friend borrow my second car as his was broke and he needed to go to his mothers funeral.

the car was a 95 mazda all in order with mot/tax/insurance etc. since sold it as became unemployed.

He told me his insurance would cover him driving. ( it did not in fact because he only had TP as well )

Car came back after a week, no problem all looked ok.

Anyway about six weeks later get letter from police saying the car had been involved in an accident and did not stop and had to name the driver, which I did after confronting with friend: He is now being done for all sorts of things now.

My problem is that on one hand my insurance co. is saying the insurance wont cover it as he was not on the policy and on the other that they will settle the claim and ask me to pay the bill, which is £650.:mad:

My question is can they do this! can they settle on my behalf without questioning the damage cost etc.

My excess was only £100!

I can understand them saying dont want to know etc as not covered and the TP should go after the driver not me, I didnt do anything. But to pay up without question and say I owe them just doesnt sound right; is there a law which which says this is the way to do it?

Any advice please.

I think they are saying that they will settle the liability but they are want their money back off you. (Obviously!!) Perhaps you should allow them to do this and get all the proper paperwork done so there is no come back for the future on you.

After that when you know your exact liability you then present the full bill to your friend. Don't know if the friendship will last if you enforce the debt against him. You must be gutted for him to take you for a mug. Good luck.

Hi,

thanks for that; the insurance company have sent me all these legal docs to sign, saying they will sort out claim, but ultimately want me to reimburse them!

They have not disputed or tied to get costs down, just accepted the claim, which I am not happy with.

Also was made redundant in October last yera so have no job and cant pay them anything anyway;

Also my ' friend' is in same boat now.

Just see how it goes, not signing anything. but will write to explaining not happy and my financial circumsatnces, CAG have done the forms for me.

Anybody got any other thoughts.

I would not be allowing a claim on my insurance. The claim should be made agaisnt the drivers insurance. If he hasn't got any then the third party can claim as an uninsured driver claim. Why should you be paying? In theory you should have checked his insurance, but I would not be allowing a claim against me or my insurance if I was not driving.